The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Gas central heating boilers

Gordon A

I am looking to replace my 20+ year old gas boiler and hot water cistern with a modern condensing type.

I have been scouring the net with no avail to find a website that would advise as to the boiler output required to run eight radiators in a 3 bed terrace house, and provide hot water for a bath / washing up.

I have been advised to have a 24kw boiler, and wander if that output is adequate.

Can any one help?

Gordon A

Bristol

Posted · Hidden by Baby Deltic, December 9, 2011 - didn't read the question
Hidden by Baby Deltic, December 9, 2011 - didn't read the question

I would say get a Vaillant. I ripped all the tanks out of my roof five years ago and got shot of the hot water cylinder (hot water cylinders can lose around a KW of heat in an hour). I haven't looked back.

• RMweb Premium

I have a (largish) 3 bed detached and have a 30kW boiler driving 13 radiators.

It all depends on how hot you want the rooms to be and the cubic capacity of the house and it's configuration.

e.g I have two toilets and a separate bathroom so that requires 3 rads to start with whereas a single bathroom with toilet would just need one.

I used to live in a Victorian terrace with 8 bedrooms and that didn't have much more boiler output than I have now!

Keith

I would say 24KW is Ok. I've got a 24KW boiler heating my house which is around 120m².

The boiler itself is now nearly 30 years old and still working very well. I consider this to be a very good advert for Vaillant boilers!

This is one of those unanswerable questions without a whole heap of supplementary data. If your objective is maximum fuel economy then a self modulating boiler and most likely a whole system refit, with extensive insulation throughout the whole property is going to be the thing. Then you can probably use a 10kW maximum output boiler, which will spend most of its time at very low output getting 95%+ energy recovery from the fuel, because the well insulated house and low thermal mass of the radiators only need a trickle of heat to maintain a comfortable temperature; the boiler only going to full ouput in short bursts to provide hot water after heavy use ('quick recovery') if that is a requirement.

Speaking of gas boilers reminds me of the bloke who jumped out of a plane and pulled the cord on his parachute, only for it to come off in his hand. He pulled the reserve cord and nothing happened. As he plummeted towards the ground he saw a bloke coming up towards him. He shouted to the bloke "here mate, do you know anything about parachutes?" The bloke shouted back "no mate, do you know anything about gas boilers?".

Archived