RMweb

Lincoln Central Station

arff999

Hi

What information on the hotel are you after

John

I have post-19381-0-89679600-1390639980_thumb.jpgpost-19381-0-64771200-1390639939_thumb.jpgpost-19381-0-34321200-1390639912_thumb.jpgpost-19381-0-84092500-1390639883_thumb.jpgsome photographs of the rear of the hotel whilst it was being demolished, but cannot produce a detailed drawing as such, as most of the walls are down.  

• Like 1

I have attachicon.gifGreat Northern Hotel c1900.JPGattachicon.gifGreat Northern Hotel c1966.jpgattachicon.gifGreat Northern Hotel c1966 3.jpgattachicon.gifGreat Northern Hotel c1966 2.jpgsome photographs of the rear of the hotel whilst it was being demolished, but cannot produce a detailed drawing as such, as most of the walls are down.  

very interesting photo's, not seen these before.The middle demolition pic shows the low corrugated building that covered the old siding that nearly reached the footbridge , it had at least 2 wagon turntables. access to which was from Holmes yard via this bridge over the Upper Witham.

Graham

post-18643-0-76627000-1390641319_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi 40a

Do you have a map showing the whereabouts of that pic you posted try to work out my bearings lol

JOHN

quite simple John. photographer had his back to East Holmes Box , in the background is St Mary le Wigford church  and the Tesco building that was built on the Grt Northern site.this is one of the Bridges I shall eventualy have on my Layout.

you already have the map on you're early posts

Regards

Graham

Edited by lincoln40a

Hi Jrg1

The model is being built from pictures I have and also a line drawing taken from the plan we are working to

we have no other info at all on it

I can help out with what I have if req

JOHN

I would be delighted to see the drawing and photos, as I wish to build a model myself.  Whilst we are discussing buildings, I have some information regarding the Durham Ox, Norman Place and Pelham Street area pre-1957, if you are interested.

The 1930 map shows the siding mentioned in the post-it was for access to the grain warehouse, and the wagons were stored in the siding, and moved by pinchbars and manpower to the two turntables.  The building next to the siding opposite the GN Hotel was a railway related office. 

post-19381-0-59626800-1390718775.jpg

Hi Looks like the we both have the same map

we used this to get the foot print of the building by inserting it in to AutoCAD in a one to one scale then rescaling it to 00 then printed it out.

then sketch drawings made of the facia to be used to build it.  

JOHN

Hi Looks like the we both have the same map

we used this to get the foot print of the building by inserting it in to AutoCAD in a one to one scale then rescaling it to 00 then printed it out.

then sketch drawings made of the facia to be used to build it.  

JOHN

Here's a better one.

post-19381-0-68719900-1390788530_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ive got a map not sure of the date of it tho but its before the Lincoln bypass was built but after the lines to Grantham had been taken out but its got Holmes yard and what became the TDM at great northern terrace and its still got the lines to bardney so really not sure of the date.

bye for now

Adam

what plan is that taken from, I think mine might be a bit earlier i932 I have part of a 56 map would like to get the rest of it inc the Holmes yard sheet

john

With the location of the turntable in Holmes Yard, I would say pre-war.  I will scan the plan and forward.

With the location of the turntable in Holmes Yard, I would say pre-war.  I will scan the plan and forward.

The plan is dated revised 1916-I see the tram track are extant.  The turntable location was moved during the improvements of the late 1930s when the coaling tower was built.

post-19381-0-18011700-1390890992_thumb.jpg

post-19381-0-82126900-1390891011_thumb.jpg

post-19381-0-58508300-1390891022_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi john long time no see how the layout coming alone, mine has come to a stand still again as i've lost my job again, can you remember what the name of the simulator thay had on the stage last year at the show at washingborough was it trainz simulator 2013 or 2012.

Bye for now

Adam

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since my last effort so I thought I better bring things up to date

lots been going on with the layout so ill start with the road system, which turned out to be a lot mere work than first thought, as most off the roads were finished with paths and lighting it was a nightmare trying to fit the magnetic strip and the induction wire so I ended up redoing the whole of the road as in making it higher by 3mm thus this meant now all the paths were flush with the road surface hence new paths are now being fitted to bring the levels back to were they were.

I have also had to add a new bit off road that was not going to be fitted to join up the existing roads on either end boards so as the vehicles can travel the while length of the layout (when you see the pics you will see what I mean) I have also had to make 2 fiddle yards for the road system these fit above the rails on the ends of the railway fiddle yard creating a double deck.

these are linked to the from via 2 bridge sections and some curved ramps to get down to the correct level

the whole road idea created a few problems along the way one being how to get from the high street to the ramp for the fiddle yard to over come this we have extended the end board by about a foot backwards to enable the cross road to be inserted allowing vehicles now to do a right turn as if going towards the old bus station

The road gets covered in plaster and sanded down them repainted which is now nearly done ill post some pics when I've finished and tested it all

we have also been working on a pelmet and light gantry, I am using 4x 5mtr lengths of self adhesive led strip fitted to some aluminium channel these are 12v and work off a small plugin power supply.

The overhead pelmet gives you that looking in a window effect

post-4624-0-28661000-1401823221.jpg

• Like 6