Lincoln Central Station

arff999

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for a few updates me thinks not been able to get on for a while.

been busy making platform lights 2 types post and hanging  had to go for the build your own method as none available on the open market.

I made them using a piece of 7mm wide by  27 mm post  and 38 mm long hanging copper board with a slit down the middle the long way then across the slit 6 Nano 1.5x1.5 mm leds were glue soldered in place.

For the hanging ones two pieces of hard transformer wire 2mm were used to simulate the conduit that they hang from and also to carry the electrics to the boards as for the post ones some 1mm transformer wire was used and threaded down the brass tubes.

the posts are two sizes of brass tube one long piece and a short bit at the bottom

as for the covers there made from model clear light bars for trucks with a channel cut in the rear to take the leds the tops were then finished off with some 7mm plastic card and sanded to the correct profile.

These will all be switched via my DCC system via a decoder and relay with a 1k resistor fitted to each lamp.

pics to follow as I cant get them to upload

JOHN.

• Like 2

A bit to follow on the buildings lots going on here

also removed the 9 problem cobolt motors and in the process of replacing with tortoise ones this has now been completed just need to sort out the connections and then test .

Decided to join some of the boards together I know it makes them large and heavy so looking in to a different method to house and transport them reason for joining them it so I don't have to keep removing large and expensive building, every time we take the layout to a show I`am hoping this way it will protect them more.

JOHN

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

After weeks of trawling the net and collecting info I have decided to not use the faller car system but instead I will be using the newer Dutch system Dinamo/MCC.

This system gives more realistic vehicle movement slow speed running and automatic distance sensing which I hope will add that extra something to the layout.

its run via a separate digital controller and also pc interface with individual control of each vehicle via its own decoder which runs in a digital field created via 2 wires along side of the road.

I'm going to have a fiddle yard fitted above the entrance to the train yard round the back to allow cars and busses to be stored / changed over, it will be accessible via a couple of small ramps on the end boards behind the back scenes approx 2 inches high as I need to cross the tracks.

I am also in the presses of altering my control panel making it thinner slightly taller to accommodate the signal mimic panel this will sit above the  existing panel for turnouts,

I hope to have it sat on top of the cabinet that will hold the pc box that runs the touch screen monitors for route setting and also the NCE controller.

next time we are out at a show come have a chat and I`ll explain how it all works

Best wishes and a Merry xmas from all at Lincoln Central

JOHN       

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy making the road deck that will when finished fit above the end sections and the thin bridge sections of the fiddle yard.

these parts are made using 6mm MDF for the base which in turn sits on a wood frame fitted to the various fiddle yard boards, The MDF is routered out in the centre of the road to take a 6mm magnet this is the same as the faller car system  but that's where the similarity ends this system uses a 30mm wide transmitter loop and the vehicles have there own decoder fitted in them

next to the magnet are fitted a matrix of reed contacts wired back to a control module so the on board processer knows exactly were a vehicle is on the layout.

the turn out units are a mini servo with a horn which has a small strip of magnet fixed to it this is fitted in to a purpose built 3D printed base which drops in to a drilled hole these in turn are driven from a module., 

This will turn out to be a major undertaking as I have to install all the magnet, transmitter loop and reed switch matrix along all of the road including the station yard buy I think when finished will add a lot to the layout we should be able to have a large no of moving vehicles on the road at any one time all interacting with each other. I have to date managed to make two sections of the deck and made a start routing the magnet, transmitter loop ways on two of the original boards now all I need to do is sort out the reed switches and cove with plaster then repaint it all sounds easy but when you think there's 128 reed contacts to wire, fit and then test its not a quick job.

I have posted a few pictures below of the road deck that fits above the fiddle yard

any questions please ask

JOHN

Right a couple of small teaser pictures one of the outside and another of the inside, well one room. I cant post any more yet. there not made by me I could never produce model this good in fact when you see them for real there awesome there made by the same chap that's building the station buildings  that I had sat on the layout last time out (more about him later)

hope you like

JOHN

first the real building

post-4624-0-21900900-1389905816.jpg

part of the outside

post-4624-0-09563700-1389905908.jpg

and then a quick peek at the cafe

post-4624-0-71822100-1389905945.jpg

• Like 3

Hi there.  I'm the person with access to a vacuum former, but sadly the working space on it is something around two to three feet by two to three feet.  I would imagine that would be standard for one in an educational setting.

I've only just been pointed at this thread by Jaz so haven't had time to have a good shufti yet.  However that cafe scene is immaculate, I must show my Father who regales us often with his tales of the jukebox in Dalamont's coffee bar in Abingdon where he used to sneak off to from School...

The idea I was thinking of would allow the vacuum former to make several pieces side by side. You could then make some screw holes and fix it into place. That is a good size better than the one I had to use years ago.

Glad you like them

I would love to be able to show the construction pictures of all of the buildings that are being made but a future article prevents this just now but I'm sure when there seen people will be pretty much impressed lots of the rooms are full detailed and all have working lighting.

John

Jez

Not sure which way to go with this as were looking at a completely different transport display option.

Its all about making it easy to transport put together and take down, we thought we had a good system but as it evolves we need to take a look overall as to how we were going to move forward.

we have some exiting plans afoot as to how we are going to display it in the future and watch this space it will become a lot easier to watch the progress live shall we say but more on that later when its confirmed. 

JOHN

Right a couple of small teaser pictures one of the outside and another of the inside, well one room. I cant post any more yet. there not made by me I could never produce model this good in fact when you see them for real there awesome there made by the same chap that's building the station buildings  that I had sat on the layout last time out (more about him later)

hope you like

JOHN

first the real building

attachicon.gifLC4990.jpg

part of the outside

attachicon.gifIMG_0372.JPG

and then a quick peek at the cafe

attachicon.gifIMG_0369.JPG

Can you possibly forward contact details for this modeller?  I would like more information on the GN hotel.