RMweb

Lincoln Central Station

arff999

Electrical wise a few bits have been done to make setup/takedown a lot easier for all. And for ease off access at a show

Firstly the control panel has been fitted to its own wheeled box this also hold a draw cabinet and the pc system for the road and route control via touch screens

the cable for turnout indication have all been grouped into board sets and bound in plastic spiral wrap.

I've added a new box section to the whole fiddle yard making the board joints and command bus cables hidden again the joining cables have been grouped and bound with wrap this also houses the accessory decoders and all the electronics I decided to alter this because it saves me grovelling around the floor when and if things go wrong.

One end of the yard is now fully DCC controlled by its own purpose built panel spanning the tracks, it also has led indication to show what road the turnouts are set for.

The pictures show the added box section were the accessory decoders are fitted and the wrapped joint cables. at the far end is the new control panel for that end off the yard

post-4624-0-03473500-1401824157.jpg

post-4624-0-39919600-1401824174.jpg

• Like 5

As you can see the layout is now fully set up and in its new home

I was asked a while ago if I would like to have it set up permanently  I replied yes of course that would be great, but were, as I could not afford to rent some were.

The persons asking the question were Chris and Jeremy from Digitrains from Digby and as at the time they were planning to move to larger premises we spoke about it for a few weeks and decided it would be a great idea so as of now its set up in a room that was spare in the new unit on Clifton street in Lincoln.

this is great for me as I can now go down and work on when ever with out the need to get bits out of the storage unit were it used to be kept.

On a personal note I would like to thank both Chris and Jeremy for the opportunity to be able to continue this mammoth project.  also the staff visitors for enduring my banging, drilling, sawing and generally getting in the way.

oh and making me cups of tea

again Thank you   

If you get chance and your in or around Lincoln come down and check out there new shop      

• Like 4

That's a seriously ambitious project, love it. I spent far too much time hanging around Lincoln Central in the early 1980s in the hope of seeing something more interesting than the usual class 105 and 114 DMUS.  I never seemed to be there at the right time though. Double-headed 31s on oil tankers was about as exciting as it ever got. You'll have fun when you get round to doing the signalling, Lincoln had LOTS of semaphore signals, most of them complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Been busy again working on the road and painting all the new extension and pelmet after I had spent hours laying the wires and magnets and looking at it thinking hell this looks a mess and I hope it all works when I have finished it.

I then had to spend hours with the filled covering it all up so you cant see my handy work, then when it dried I then had to sand the whole lot down not a major task one may think but you have to remember its the whole length of the layout and then some, after I had sanded it all over I hooved the dust up lots off the dam stuff.

Now it was ready to paint and weather I started with a light coat of light grey paint just normal emulsion then when dry a coat off a mix of dark grey and a touch of black this was left to fully dry then out came the spray weathering cans first a coat of green paint and then a dusting of oil brown and black just for good measure let it dry and it looks fine see what you all think let me know now the road was finished I could relay the path over the top of the old stuff to get the height right for the kerb the path was then painted again using the weathering cans and finally I had to fit the new street lighting the old lights were plastic with grain of wheat lamp but these turned out to be just to flimsy so I sourced some new metal ones slightly shorter but still ok and these have a led too there all fitted but not wired up yet that's for later ill do the whole lot together when I finish off the front wire boxing this will be the same as I fitted on the fiddle yard it will also house all the decoders and relays for point control and functions

a few pics of the road for tonight,

JOHN

post-4624-0-35083700-1402597155_thumb.jpg

post-4624-0-15760600-1402597195_thumb.jpg

post-4624-0-16022200-1402597224.jpg

post-4624-0-05574300-1402597241.jpg

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

Finally finished all the cabling to the street light that have been newly fitted, and glad to report they all now work, albeit with a temporary connection to a power supply this will be fitted when the cable way to house all the decoders is fitted to the front boards later this year.

Roadway to front is almost complete but I may need to do some slight alterations as time goes by as the test truck some times wont make the corners in 2 places it may be going to fast so im looking at getting a more realistic speed by inserting a resistor between the battery and motor, if this fails I may have to look at making the turn less tight.

john  

• Like 2

I have more information on the area to the east of the station, pre-Pelham Bridge, and am looking to share this this with similar interests, along with the GN Hotel and GN stables.  Anyone out there? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just getting ready for the next outing a few bits to sort still a lot to do, Still a work in progress seams to be never ending, but on a good side the road is almost finished then I have to start on the programming (should be fun )

Right ill be at

Market Rasen on the 6th of September for the Saturday at the rotary clubs exhibition.

If your at a loose end pop along and say hi and have a chat

JOHN

• 2 months later...

Thanks Jaz

while were on the subject of building, I best put something together to post on the bits that are complete and on the layout now.

The bits shown above at the Spalding show fit on the right hand side of the High street, viewed from the level crossing.

The one above is going to be the Treaty of commerce public house, next to that will go Anna`s dress shop, and then the corner newsagents, we have taken out some of the other buildings due to space, we chose these buildings to include as there well known to local people and should be easily recognisable.

On the facing side the stables will be remodelled later with some other shops fitted also.

more to come later as the hotel is now finished and in place also the island platform building is also fitted.

The hard work and credit for theses wonderful model must go to Howard Leader who spent hours looking over drawings and pictures to allow him to be as authentic as possible, I just wired up the lights to finish them off.

I have to take my hat of to Howard and say a huge Thank you as I could not have done this with out his help.

John 

• Like 1

I do remember my initial impressions, the painted Hornby buildings etc. Your heavy colouring had made them hard to recognise.....which is a good thing......they will do the job nicely for ages.....and your eye was already drawn to the original building on the corner...making you want t come investigate.......It has been nice seeing this at exhibitions several times and been able to see how it evolved.

• 1 month later...

Following this topic with great interest, as I used to live in Lincoln.  Does anyone have any information on the Durham Ox hotel, demolished to make way for Pelham Bridge?  I especially need views from Pelham Street and Oxford Street, to determine window and drain layout.  Free set of drawings to anyone able to assist in this.