Bachmann K3 Wheel locking

Charlie

After (finally) getting my hands on a Donny green K3 through Ebay I came to run it on our layout this weekend to give it a quick blast before putting it away until the layout is a little more securely fastened. However i came across two problems, one a minor annoyance, the other more serious. The minor one is that the fron pony truck doesn't seem to sit properly on the track, consequently the wheels do not turn making things look a little odd. This may be due to the guard irons being in the way and in need of a little trimming, but I thought it best to check if anyone else had come across this first.

The other, major, problem is that it won't run in reverse! Going forward is no problem at all throughout the speed range, but when trying to travel backwards it moves as though to start then stops abruptly with the motor sounding as though it's wanting to move but can't. To make things even more confusing when I try changing the direction when the loco is running forwards it carries on running forwards! Has anyone else come across this or had anything like it? I'm running a DC layout with a Hornby controller that has no issues with any other engine in our stable (other than a Bachmann 66 with a DCC chip) so am a little confused as to what may be causing this.

Any help appreciated!

Well it's started to go in reverse, some of the valve gear was the wrong way round, but still seems to be carrying on in the direction it's travelling even when switched. Now seems to be unable to sit on the track properly so will have to get the back to back checked. Just need the service sheet for it now!

... To make things even more confusing when I try changing the direction when the loco is running forwards it carries on running forwards! .. I'm running a DC layout with a Hornby controller that has no issues with any other engine in our stable (other than a Bachmann 66 with a DCC chip) ...

A DC motor on a DC supply has to reverse, and thus change loco direction, if the track supply is reversed. If it doesn't, then 'something else' is interfering in the operation. Has your Ebay wonder come to you with a decoder on board?

Would they still do that for a model out of its warrenty Ian?

A DC motor on a DC supply has to reverse, and thus change loco direction, if the track supply is reversed. If it doesn't, then 'something else' is interfering in the operation. Has your Ebay wonder come to you with a decoder on board?

Could well be, the ad doesn't say it has but I've now managed to get the service sheet from Bachmann so I can open her up and have a look myself. Have to wait till after christmas now though as I forgot to bring it up with me. If it is I'm gonna need an 8-pin blanking plate from somewhere :scratchhead:

• 4 weeks later...

After giving my newly purchased N2 a run around with the Gresley suburbans today, I tried the switching trick again as I knew it had a decoder in and lo and behold the same thing happened as with the K3! Problem solved. many thanks guys!

Archived