Bachmann class 47 (in cabinet at Wigan show)

Michael Delamar

hi guys

the last class 47 i had was the old Hornby one so bare with me please :) .

ive lost track with whats the best model of a 47 available these days.

however in the cabinet at Wigan this weekend a green class 47 caught my eye,

is this a brand new model or new livery?

is it available yet?

how do others rate this model compared to other makes?

is it worth waiting for this one to be released (if it isnt already) or has it been around for a while in two tone green?

and whats the going rate for these, the one Bachmann had displayed and previous ones.

cheers

Mike

Sounds like another new livery on an existing model.

Different people swear that these are good and others bad but I feel that if it looks right to me then it is.

I've had one for a few years and it runs a treat.

Without the catalogue number it's difficult to say if it's an older model or a new one.

The current 47s from Bachmann are on their website

31-650 - 652 & 32-804/5

I can't comment on their accuracy to prototype but they look like 47s and they're reliable, smooth runners which counts for me. (I have 3)

C. :)

• RMweb Premium

Everything you might want to know about the Bachmann Class 47s and the liveries produced is on the long-standing Class 47 thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13947-Bachmann-class-47/.

At the moment, the "next" new livery awaited is 47972 in Central Services as a L/E for Modelzone.

...the last class 47 I had was the old Hornby one ...

Remember how despite the numerous crudities typical of models of its day, in fundamental body shape it really got the look of the real thing?

Happily, both the Bach and Vi models do the same. You can put them side by side, and they look like 47s, there's nothing that shrieks 'oh no'; which sadly is the case with Heljan's otherwise good model which falls down by being overwidth, subtly altering any near end on view. If you want a green early BR condition 47 then it's Bachmann, as Vi only cover the later appearance.

I bought a D1500 from the first release representing the type in original condition going into service (pre-Serck shutters) in September 1962, and it has run faultlessly. Well it did once I had soldered up all the connections to the main PCB after an hours DC test running, as some of these were very flaky. Dropped the body to the correct height above the bogies in the usual very simple way that the Bachmann chassis design allows, much improves appearance provided the loco doesn't have to go around set track curves. You are unlikely to get one for the £39 I paid sadly...

Archived