1.76 / 00 skeletal trailers

theenglishman1944

• RMweb Premium

It is Oxford that are bringing out the adjustable container trailer. In their latest catalogue they illustrate an actual model instead of a line drawing which suggests that they will be available soon, but I doubt if so before Christmas.

It is Oxford that are bringing out the adjustable container trailer. In their latest catalogue they illustrate an actual model instead of a line drawing which suggests that they will be available soon, but I doubt if so before Christmas.

Yes the only problem is it has 5 axle's, D-Tec Combi trailer. Nearly all the combi trailers I come across in the Southampton area are 4 axles. It would be nice if one of RTR manufactures would produce a simple 3 axle Skeletal paited blue which is the most common type found in the road hauliers fleets around the UK.

• RMweb Premium

I live not far from Tilbury docks, in this area the 5 axle combi trailers are more common than the 4 axle type. I agree however that a basic 3 axle skeletal trailer is what is needed, and the short 2 axle trailer for 20 ft containers.

How much work would be required to convert a 1:76 curtainside trailer into a standard 45' skeletal trailer?

and conversely how much work would be required to modify the Oxford D-Tec into a 20' or 40' trailer?

Only last week I purchased a cheap £13.50 Corgi Roadscene Merc Actros Curtainside to convert into a flatbed for containers, decide it was not a quick conversion job, see pictures. Oxford D-Tec is not out yet, will now look out for cheap Oxford box/curtainside trailer to see if any quicker to convert. PS D-Tec trailer should split into two sections and the front half should be a 20ft trailer, when join together they are still in the eyes of VOSA/law class as two sperate trailers with their own ministry plating numbers and chassis numbers.post-4835-0-85060300-1323723511_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-43476500-1323723574_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree, a 40 foot sleletal trailer is needed. Even better if it could actually slide from 40 to 30 foot. The Dtec is a cracking model I love mine and will be buying more. I think it would require alot of work to modify a standard curtain trailer as they are longer than 40 foot, around 50 I think :)

• 1 month later...

Hello

I do have A PH designs skelly kit but have never got round to building it. I did convert an Oxford diecast 45ft curtainsider into a 45ft flat to carry a 45ft Safeway box on my Georgemas Jct layout. It was a fairly straightforward job. There were a lot of 40ft flats fitted with twistlocks from the 1970s onwards as well as 45ft trailers in more recent times. Obviously flat trailers are rarer these days but there are still a lot in use. Mine is based on photos I took at Georgemas in the early 2000s. They did use skellies as well.

Cheers

George

• 5 weeks later...

Having seen the pics above, I purchased one of the Oxford combi trailer.

DSCN1151

This is my first real road model, and I would appreciate any guidance on detailing, weathering etc.

Do I need to add some of those curly leads between cab and trailer? It looks a bit bare.

Do I need to add some of those curly leads between cab and trailer? It looks a bit bare.

Definitely, they're called "susies" or "air 'n' leccy lines". You'll need 5, but they're only about about 20mm thick. Volvo's normally have black leads. 2 of them are normally coloured (1 red and 1 yellow), but probably not noticeable, especially if you weather them by covering them with grease, as most drivers manage to...

HTH

Phil

post-4835-0-47316400-1338758575_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-21405400-1338758688_thumb.jpgHere one of my pictures of trailer to truck susie lines, 2 air line ( can be colour 1 in yellow and other in red), 2 electricial ( also can be colour 1 black and other 1 green) & 1 ISO electric susie (bigger plug connection, colour black)

If you have trouble locating pics of airlines/susies give me a shout and I'll take some of those on my truck for you next week when I've had my hols.

Pete

Pictures of the two types of wagons we've got in the yard. I tried taking a picture of them coupled up, but because we run refrigerated trailers, you can't really see them as the a sodding great noisy lump of fridge in the way...

post-6694-0-98777900-1339096474_thumb.jpg

post-6694-0-16686700-1339096487_thumb.jpg

HTH

Phil

• 11 months later...

The Oxford skeletal trailer can be modified if you unscrew the front pair of axles it will expose a small screw howl which can be used to join both halves together. You can modify further by removing the number plate board from the front trailer.

Gary

Archived