Bachmann GWR ROD DCC issue

Andy Y

My local retailer had several original GWR RODs on sale (not where I bought mine however) and when I mentioned the Bachmann Press statement several days after Andy's OP, said they knew nothing of it.

They have had the 3031 on sale continuously since, so I don't know whether they still have incorrectly wired ones, correct ones or a mixture!

As you say there seems to be nothing obvious to show on my rectified model that there has been anything done to it.

It will be a minefield in a year or two when models start changing hands!

IMHO Bachmann should have re-called all of them and re-issued them with suffix letter to show when they are correctly wired.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Discussions with Bachmann show that they did contact every authorised retailer directly via their trade update leaflets in addition to notifying all print and online media. Therefore all retailers should have acted in accordance with this but I daresay some chose to sell the stock in hand rather than follow the process. It did only affect a small number (around 400) most of which were caught in time and rectified. All subsequent shipments were checked before despatch from the warehouse.

The moral onus is on the retailer to prove to the customer that the shipped product has been duly inspected and tested.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dilbert

The GWR O4 I had on order finally arrived today. One small problem is that the rear cab handrail was not fixed properly at one and and is consequently in a mangled state.

post-3211-0-72503600-1329850637_thumb.jpg

I'ld rather fix this myself and avoid sending the loco back to the retailer because it would be a waste of money on postal expenses and I can also perform the remedial work. Can someone who has a similar loco confirm whether the handrail is attached under the cab roof or fits plumb on the cab roof end (I suspect the former is the case). Had a look thru some of the photos I have of the prototype, but these are all of a frontal ¾ view.

Apart from that the loco is fine...dilbert

• 2 months later...

And one will be delivered to me and running (I hope) on the modular layout at Taunton on Sunday (not that NZ is very handy for Taunton of course).

Slow delivery of other recently promised models has me thinking I might have to buy one to photograph at the head of my many weathered GWR and BR WR goods wagons. For this I am trying to think of typical trains of the early 50s which may have had No.3036 at the head, shedded as she was at 86G Pontypool Road until withdrawal in 1958. Perhaps just coal trains? Did she venture as far as Bristol or Gloucester and beyond? Or back towards Aberdare?

Maybe I will let modeller's license take over!

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Slow delivery of other recently promised models has me thinking I might have to buy one to photograph at the head of my many weathered GWR and BR WR goods wagons. For this I am trying to think of typical trains of the early 50s which may have had No.3036 at the head, shedded as she was at 86G Pontypool Road until withdrawal in 1958. Perhaps just coal trains? Did she venture as far as Bristol or Gloucester and beyond? Or back towards Aberdare?

Rob

Most likely North & West line either northwards or across to Worcester via Hereford or to Severn Tunnel Jcn and probably through the Tunnel. I would think mainly coal by then as the RODs were regarded as 'rough' so I understand and would most likely be kept on the slowest jobs - and plenty of coal coming off the Vale of Neath. Unlikely to go towards Aberdare I would have though but 28XX did work along there of course so not impossible.

Several were stationed at St Philips Marsh in Bristol until the mid 50's (but not this one!), running south Bristol line coal trains.

As I mentioned in parallel thread, my father used to cadge footplate rides from Brislington to Radstock and back, in return for lighting station oil lamps at intermediate stations.

My Dad has one on order, and already has the plates to re-number as 'his' loco.

N

Most likely North & West line either northwards or across to Worcester via Hereford or to Severn Tunnel Jcn and probably through the Tunnel. I would think mainly coal by then as the RODs were regarded as 'rough' so I understand and would most likely be kept on the slowest jobs - and plenty of coal coming off the Vale of Neath. Unlikely to go towards Aberdare I would have though but 28XX did work along there of course so not impossible.

That gives a fair idea, together with Neal's description of the Robinson engines working from St Phillips Marsh. The depots on either side of the tunnel appear to have had a large number of 2-8-0s. Trains to Worcester and Hereford, as well as from Wales to Bristol and area, seem like good enough candidates to me... these poor second cousins to Churchward's ubiquitous 28XXs.

Perhaps there were times when engine crews thought, in BR days, they might have an 'out and back' turn with a Churchwood or Collett 2-8-0, but were faced with a day on an ex-ROD. ... a suprise for which polite language would be difficult, and maybe somewhat akin to that faced by crew from other regions doing with such as a day's work on an Eastern Region 'Washing Machine' L1. As far as I know the ex-RODs steamed well when fired right, if not always quite as well as GW engines, and by-and-large weren't very bad for power, and they were by all accounts able to run with very poor maintenance. Who knows, maybe some Western Region crews even had a grudging admiration for their ability to keep going? I think they rode ok in general terms, and engine braking would I think (but stand to be corrected) have been similar to GW 2-8-0s. So maybe not first choice but pretty reliable.

Whether or not this is relevant to the condition in which they were kept at WR sheds is unknown to me but they would have been handy engines to have.

...and Bachmann's weathered locos are usually very very well done, better in my opinion than most non-Bachmann efforts including some after-market professionals. So one of Bachmann's 31-128 weathered WR ex-ROD 2-8-0s is now on its way to NZ., to follow today's project, the photographing of a Hornby 4-4-0 Compound in its factory red or crimson, before I repaint it in BR matt and satin black with suitable weathering...

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps there were times when engine crews thought, in BR days, they might have an 'out and back' turn with a Churchwood or Collett 2-8-0, but were faced with a day on an ex-ROD. ... a suprise for which polite language would be difficult, and maybe somewhat akin to that faced by crew from other regions doing with such as a day's work on an Eastern Region 'Washing Machine' L1. As far as I know the ex-RODs steamed well when fired right, if not always quite as well as GW engines, and by-and-large weren't very bad for power, and they were by all accounts able to run with very poor maintenance. Who knows, maybe some Western Region crews even had a grudging admiration for their ability to keep going? I think they rode ok in general terms, and engine braking would I think (but stand to be corrected) have been similar to GW 2-8-0s. So maybe not first choice but pretty reliable.

Whether or not this is relevant to the condition in which they were kept at WR sheds is unknown to me but they would have been handy engines to have.

Rob

Were they really as bad as some portray them?

Sure, they may not be as good as the normal Western fare, but if they were really crap the GWR would have not kept them as long as they did.

Just short of 40 years is reasonably good for a steam loco (especially a "foreigner"!) . Serious shortcomings would have meant the cutter's torch and a new GWR loco to replace them.

Maybe it was the fact that they could just plod along, seemingly forever, with half a boiler of steam!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

As a born & bred Aberdarian,I can assure you---OH YES THEY DID---Pontypool Road (86G) had an allocation and they worked the line through to Neath via Aberdare. seen before school on many mornings during the early 50's

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I will let modeller's license take over!

Rob----see my post above-----answer yes to all areas you name.

Rob

As a born & bred Aberdarian,I can assure you---OH YES THEY DID---Pontypool Road (86G) had an allocation and they worked the line through to Neath via Aberdare. seen before school on many mornings during the early 50's

Ah! I had a feeling this may have been so. When I read O S Nock's descriptions of the railways in the area I get the impression that there were sights of great beauty. While I am not familiar with the exact geography of the valleys to the north and west of Cardiff, he makes references like, "he (the traveller) may well give himself up for lost in the tangle of railways that cross and re-cross each other in the valleys" also the choices of ways to enter mid-Wales and thence travel to such remote places as Brecon. He also mentions in passing the regular double-heading of goods trains through the Severn Tunnel, with it's 1 in 100 grade for loaded eastbound trains, and 1 in 90 for westbound, and says that the Severn Tunnel Junction yards and shed there housed 95 engines... so plenty of scope for an ROD loco to add its weight to the work, even if it was, in the case of Pontypool Road locos usually further inland or northwards.

Clearly there was very heavy traffic being worked by 30 or so heavy goods engines shedded at each of Aberdare, Pontypool Road and Severn Tunnel Junction, at least in the early 1950s.

Rob

Archived