Bachmann GWR ROD DCC issue

Andy Y

PRESS STATEMENT FROM Bachmann EUROPE

DCC OPERATION OF GWR ROD 2-8-0

Over the past few days it has been brought to our attention that purchasers of item 31-129, the Great Western liveried version of the ROD 2-8-0, who are using DCC operation are experiencing difficulties after the decoder has been fitted.

In this event we suggest that the item be returned to our Service Department at the address shown on the paperwork enclosed with the model so that our service team can check and resolve the problem.

Please note

1 - There is no need to return this locomotive if it is intended only to use DC analogue operation.

2 – Only the GWR liveried version (31-129) is affected – the LNER or BR (ER) versions are not.

3 – Any further release of the GWR or BR liveried versions (31-127 and 31-128) will be delayed until each locomotive has been tested under DCC conditions to establish if it is affected.

David Haarhaus, Bachmann’s European Sales & Marketing Manager said “we can only apologise to DCC users who are experiencing difficulty with this item. We will rectify those models returned to us and in this case will refund 2nd class recorded postage. We will endeavour to get the model back to the customer at the earliest opportunity although the forthcoming Christmas / New Year holidays need to be factored in to these arrangements. I would ask customers to bear with us during this period”.

Mine came with the motor connected to the terminals on the PCB labelled L & R, and the wheels connected to M+ and M-.

It was a simple job (with a soldering iron) to swap them round, but worth having a meter to check when it is done.

Since I hard-wired my decoder to those same terminals I could have not bothered to swap them, but the potential for chaos in 5 years time made me do it properly!

regards

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Just checked mine as I had fitted a EU621 chip after having run it in on DC, but not yet run on DCC.

Wired up same as same as Martin's, fortunately I had only tried it on my Sprog (error--no loco detected) so I assume (hope) the chip is still OK.

I think I will send it back after the Christmas postal rush is over.

If I soldered it and damaged it (even though I am competent at soldering) I would be a bit annoyed - let Bachmann sort it.

Keith

Guest dilbert

1 - There is no need to return this locomotive if it is intended only to use DC analogue operation.

Even if the loco works OK on DC I would send back because intent can change over a couple of years.

Either by moving to DCC or by selling the loco on to someone who wants DCC operation, and then finds out it doesn't work. That something needs to be remediated is the consideration, if only by sending it back to Bachmann post-xmas rush... dilbert

That's a valid point Dilbert and I'm sure Bachmann would have no problem with it either.

The action does demonstrate how a manufacturer can publicly recognise an issue, communicate through the best available channels with a sensible resolution and makes sure the modeller has a product fit for purpose and without being out of pocket.

The action does demonstrate how a manufacturer can publicly recognise an issue, communicate through the best available channels with a sensible resolution and makes sure the modeller has a product fit for purpose and without being out of pocket.

Indeed, other manufacturers would do well to take a lesson from Bachmann's book....

• RMweb Gold

That's a valid point Dilbert and I'm sure Bachmann would have no problem with it either.

And indeed ,not the first time that Bachmann has responded in such a decent,responsible manner. My A1 was one that was returned to China for re-motoring in 2001/2.Much good will is generated in this manner.There are obvious comparisons that all of us will make with this.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what has changed on the production line that could cause such a problem? We have had the NRM version plus the LNER & BR versions all without this error.

Although the GWR version differs in quite a few areas body/tender wise, it is still electrically/mechanically the same chassis!

Keith

Guest dilbert

I wonder what has changed on the production line that could cause such a problem? We have had the NRM version plus the LNER & BR versions all without this error.

Although the GWR version differs in quite a few areas body/tender wise, it is still electrically/mechanically the same chassis!

Why would anything change on the production line? As you state the chassis is no different to the rest, so there is a process issue that needs to be addressed.

It could be one or a combination of issues : unclear WO instructions, DCC sockets being in the wrong place on the prod. line, operator unfamilar with the build requirements etc... whatever, Bachmann should be contacting Kader about this and requesting an additional QC control at this stage. It is obviously easier to place a potential batch issue into remedial work status at this point after QC control rather than has been described in point 3) of the OP, having to dismantle an entire product batch (or more) to validate (and eventually correct) a known problem at a later stage.

.. dilbert

• RMweb Premium

Why would anything change on the production line? As you state the chassis is no different to the rest, so there is a process issue that needs to be addressed.

It could be one or a combination of issues : unclear WO instructions, DCC sockets being in the wrong place on the prod. line, operator unfamilar with the build requirements etc... whatever, Bachmann should be contacting Kader about this and requesting an additional QC control at this stage. It is obviously easier to place a potential batch issue into remedial work status at this point after QC control rather than has been described in point 3) of the OP, having to dismantle an entire product batch (or more) to validate (and eventually correct) a known problem at a later stage.

.. dilbert

It's a pity they didn't colour code the internal wiring from the connector on the underside of the tender (they are all black) , then this would have been obvious visually before final assembly.

Keith

Guest dilbert

It's a pity they didn't colour code the internal wiring from the connector on the underside of the tender (they are all black) , then this would have been obvious visually before final assembly.

Wouldn't know about that as the retailer I ordered from hasn't made a request for payment to date, I assume that means they are dealing directly the Bachmann on this matter and once the issue is fixed, then I'll hear from them.

This is not a problem for myself because if the item is not under the xmas tree for 25th Dec, then here will be a promissary note from Santa, which I'm sure will be honoured. I prefer that this type of problem is fixed as early as possible and avoid the inconvenience of having to send the loco back at a later date... dilbert

• RMweb Premium

Just found out that unfortunately I did destroy my DCC chip whilst trying to read it's address on a Sprog (as I mentioned in my post #5).

I wonder how Bachmann will respond to that, as a fault on a loco has damaged a post purchase addition?

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

In a follow up to this original post.

I waited until well after the New Year and sent my loco to Bachmann for rectification and received it back in a couple of days - good service there.

The decoder was tested by them and found to be OK so, fortunately, no need for a replacement.

The loco is now working fine.

If you have had your loco rectified by Bachmann - How did they recompense you for the Postage paid?

Does it follow in the ordinary post?

So far I have had nothing and no mention of it in the packing note.

Keith

There appears to be a second batch of the GW version 3031 in store which are correctly wired.

My local store didn't get any of the first batch, and as their allocation arrived after the Bachmann warning, I figured this would not have the fault. Indeed, testing the chassis before fitting with decoder showed that the motor and pick-up wires were correct on the pcb. Testing was simply a matter of removing the decoder blanking plate, and using a voltmeter across the L and R pcb terminals to ensure that these went to a test track.

There was no evidence of the loco wiring being 're-worked' and the model was pristine.

Of course this means that there are now two versions of the same loco in circulation, unfortunately there appear to be no distinguishing features to the packaging which confirm whether the loco is correctly wired for DCC! Perhaps retailers should check with Bachmann as to which have been received.

Anyway, wiring issues aside this is another great model from Bachmann

N

• RMweb Premium

There appears to be a second batch of the GW version 3031 in store which are correctly wired.

My local store didn't get any of the first batch, and as their allocation arrived after the Bachmann warning, I figured this would not have the fault. Indeed, testing the chassis before fitting with decoder showed that the motor and pick-up wires were correct on the pcb. Testing was simply a matter of removing the decoder blanking plate, and using a voltmeter across the L and R pcb terminals to ensure that these went to a test track.

There was no evidence of the loco wiring being 're-worked' and the model was pristine.

Of course this means that there are now two versions of the same loco in circulation, unfortunately there appear to be no distinguishing features to the packaging which confirm whether the loco is correctly wired for DCC! Perhaps retailers should check with Bachmann as to which have been received.

Anyway, wiring issues aside this is another great model from Bachmann

N

My local retailer had several original GWR RODs on sale (not where I bought mine however) and when I mentioned the Bachmann Press statement several days after Andy's OP, said they knew nothing of it.

They have had the 3031 on sale continuously since, so I don't know whether they still have incorrectly wired ones, correct ones or a mixture!

As you say there seems to be nothing obvious to show on my rectified model that there has been anything done to it.

It will be a minefield in a year or two when models start changing hands!

IMHO Bachmann should have re-called all of them and re-issued them with suffix letter to show when they are correctly wired.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I picked up mine at the Southampton show at the weekend , I asked about the DCC problem and

was told that the batch they were selling only came in during the week and they had been told that

these were problem free .

I'm not a DCC user but as was mentioned when this problem was first noticed , if you sell it in a couple

of years time to a DCC user and it does'nt work you are not going to be very popular .

In a follow up to this original post.

I waited until well after the New Year and sent my loco to Bachmann for rectification and received it back in a couple of days - good service there.

The decoder was tested by them and found to be OK so, fortunately, no need for a replacement.

The loco is now working fine.

If you have had your loco rectified by Bachmann - How did they recompense you for the Postage paid?

Does it follow in the ordinary post?

So far I have had nothing and no mention of it in the packing note.

Keith

I received a cheque in the post this morning to reimburse the postage cost.

Basil

• RMweb Premium

I received a cheque in the post this morning to reimburse the postage cost.

Basil

I've received an e-mail from Bachmann to say the cheque is being processed separately by accounts and will arrive in due course.

Mine was returned fixed with a round purple sticker under the tender.

I'll have to check mine, I didn't notice one - I wasn't looking though!

Keith

I'm really up the proverbial creek on this one. Shipping it back to Bachmann in the UK from CH will be not inexpensive (and Bachmann will have an job to reimburse me) and even assuming I won't have to pay for the postage, I'll get clobbered again on the import taxes (as the repaired loco will come "directly from the manufacturer, there will be not a snowball's chance in hell that it'll come in under the Zoll's radar horizon). What's more, I have NO idea if it's first or second (no problem) batch.

So what next? try out a cheap chip and hope it doesn't fry or unsolder all the wiring and solder in a new DCC socket? Neither option really appeals - the first option is expensive (there's no such thing as "cheap chip" here) and the second option requires better soldering skills than I think I have.

Does anyone know of how I could test the wiring harness to see if it is OK before embarking on a major model refurbishment? Ta.

F

See post 4 above - the connections on the PCB are labelled. The wheels should go to L & R, the motor to M+ and M-.

If it is wrong it is pretty easy to swap the wires round.

Thanks, I read Post No. 4 and couldn't quite visualise it, this rephrasing makes it clearer. One question though; would you advise unsoldering and resoldering at the motor and wheel (pickup) end? I would have thought this would be the best opition,

F

Archived