Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aylesbury Traffic - late 70's/early 80's

Barry W

I wonder if the magazine traffic worked to Bletchley, there to be transhipped to other services on the WCML? There was an arrangement of this sort for the Kaleidiscope traffic from Banbury, where dedicated vans worked to Coventry for transhipment. The SPVs seemed to be confined to one or two areas (Bristol being one), and didn't seem to be found often in general passenger services.

That Polybulk is a mystery- one possibility might be 'patent fuel' (smokeless fuel) from the Continent to the CCD. I have heard mention of these wagons being for such traffic, though no specific depot was mentioned; perhaps this is rare photographic evidence of it?

Nice picture on railwayherald of Aylesbury station in 1982 from an unusual angle:

http://www.railwayhe...magelink/218195

Superb Rob,

Taken from the multi storey car park, ( great place to cycle round on a Sunday like a nutter in the 70's)- and you can see the end of the bay, and with refurb 'stork', blue and grey, and plain blue 115's as well as that lovely 25, GUV and southern CCTs.

Not as boring as I thought it was then, when my juices really started getting going up at Paddington, or on hols at Dawlish.

Thanks for posting the link.

Matt Wood

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Another photo taken around the same time, I do like the static grass effect!

David

Crikey David,

Just spent about 40 minutes looking through the shots of Aylesbury as it used to be - would never have thought that I felt nostalgic for the old place, but there you go. Thanks for posting. Seeing photos of the old Wimpy bar in Friars, the Saucy chef and Friarage passage brings back memories. + the shop where this railway modelling lark all started for me - Bakers ! Great stuff.

Thanks,

Matt Wood

• RMweb Gold

ive just done the same, even though i only had a flat in aylesbury for 6 months and had never actually visited there til august 2010 they are a great set of pics to view, so very different to how it is now!!

the railway section of the gallery is good...

(aaaargh, ive just posted a link to facebook, after expressing my displeasure of the whole thing in another thread!)

I decided to put all the photos I have of Aylesbury station in a album, and found out I have a few hundred!

I have got 8 pictures per double page and grouped simular pictures or those taken from the same view point together, its quite interesting to see the changes some very small even over a very small time span, which is quite handy for modelling purposes.

We should have our Aylesbury layout at Risex in Febuary, and will bring along the photos for those who are interested, 98% of the track is down and hopefully the platforms will be in too.

David

Amazing that shot from the multi story across the London end of station ,how much countryside there was then now its all built up with flats etc.Used to watch the coal train shunting at High St should have heard the track creaking and groaning as the train traversed the yard.My wifes grandfather used to brings reeds to the basket works on a donkey cart.The variety of dmu,s at the end of the eighties was wonderous and combinations of 115,104 were the rule plus other odd units that Marylebon could find.The units that went to Bletchley for maintainence were an interesting sight as they went norht of Aylesbury,as were the freight to what was left of the Westcot branch.Its awakening memories this site and thanks for starting it.

I think Aylesbury would make an interesting 80s model, but how would you get round the lack of class 115s either as RTR or kit built ? Also you would need a fair bit of space as these were normally 4 car sets I think.

I remember in about 1980 my dad taking me for the day from wycombe to Banbury. It was a lovely clear crisp autumn day and as we got to wycombe station to get on our all blue DMU, there was a 31 parked on the through tracks with a load of 16t wagons, shut down going nowhere.It was quite a change from my normal diet of class 50s and HSTs.

Out of interest my 1;25000 OS map of the wycombe area from 1979, shows a single track branching off the mainline just to the west of frogmoor, up towards the insustry that used to be at the start of the hughenden valley (near the big arched bridge) does anyone know what that was for ? Was it furniture related ?

Whilst I'm reminiscing, I also remember a school trip to the wycombe chair museum circa 82, at the top of the retaining wall west of the station.I also recall being much more interested in the racket a 47 was making with it's train of 100t tankers towards Thame - massive flange squeal as it left the through tracks.Great days !

Hi all,

Fat Controller that is a very interesting suggestion about the patent fuel in the polybulk and given the receiving facilities around Aylesbury the most likely explanation.

The facebook photos are from Ron Adams who also has a Flickr album featuring lots of great shots of the bay side of the station, he also pointed me to the Aylesbury Remembered page on Facebook as featured above which also has some really interesting photos. There is one photo of an A4 kettle passing the signal box with a Ford Motor Co. building in the background, around about where Bulston's Siding was, is this where the Ford parts were unloaded?

Rob, the spur you mention was to serve the Broom & Wade site that stretched down Hughendon Road, I would guess that it was installed, or at least used the most during WWII when the factory was used to produce tanks.

The space issue you mention is a real problem, whilst I have recently gained a loft space, I don't think it will house a fair representation of Aylesbury. :( Maybe Monks Risborough or Calvert disused are a better bet! Still, I am looking forward to inspecting the R&D's Aylesbury Town at Risex next month.

That pulybolk - surely that was in connection with the open day at aylesbury ? It's in shot next to the special DMU to quainton. Otherwise that's a really rare usage. The only other thing I can think of is spot grain traffic, there were ploybulks at banbury in 1983 connected with such traffic

That pulybolk - surely that was in connection with the open day at aylesbury ? It's in shot next to the special DMU to quainton. Otherwise that's a really rare usage. The only other thing I can think of is spot grain traffic, there were ploybulks at banbury in 1983 connected with such traffic

That type of Polybulk was only rarely used for grain; the only time I can think of them being so used was for back-loaded feed-grain from Italy to Pinhoe, using wagons that had loaded china-clay on the way out.

I remember the Banbury trains- the grain had been stored in one of the old Kaleidoscope warehouses off Beaumont Road; I'd been working there, installing pallet racking in another part.

Ah, I only know about that from the one picture in 'freight only' showing a class 46 and polybulks at Banbury, was there more than one train then ?

Given the amount of grain in the store, I would hope so..

I believe there were trains to Hull and Southampton, though quite how many, I wouldn't like to say.

• 9 months later...

Doesn't time fly, I thought it time to breath some life back into this thread, having done much searching I have found some more interesting photos of freight traffic in Aylesbury.

First up, mention was made of SPV's at Aylesbury, well check this lot out!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=351637938200347&set=a.239454046085404.63681.228802603817215&type=1&relevant_count=1

And as suggested it would appear the SPV's were Bletchley bound, this photo taken at Verney Junction shows a 47 and SPV's.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/SPVs_at_verney_junction_19-7-74.jpg

This photo from Derby Sulzers shows a 25 shunting its train, however it is the CCT in the goods shed that intrigues me. Does anyone know if the goods shed was used for loading/unloading of printed matter?

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25032aylesbury84.jpg

In this photo the Aylesbury bound wine tanks can be seen being shunted on the far left, also in the consist are some CCT's, I'm guessing then that the odd van was included in the coal/wine trip.

http://www.railpixtc.co.uk/80sArchive/1980-1984/1982/18463953_zmDCNB#!i=1424541299&k=Qb7T5NW&lb=1&s=A

And finally, my favourite and not strictly freight traffic, a 25 trundling through the station with a train of sealions...awesome!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383239148373559&set=a.235623896468419.63053.228802603817215&type=3&theater

Barry

Good to see these resurrected....

Nice photos.

I found on flickr by chance yesterday a photo of a BR blue 31 running through Wycombe with coal and what looks like bogie BGs bound for P Risborough. I guess it was acton - chinnor speedlink.

Thank you Egg' box some great views there. :good: The last photo in particular is a very interesting view, I had not realized the post on that signal was concrete. Does anyone know if the red brick building behind the engineers truck in the last photo is railway related?

Thank you Egg' box some great views there. :good: The last photo in particular is a very interesting view, I had not realized the post on that signal was concrete. Does anyone know if the red brick building behind the engineers truck in the last photo is railway related?

Nope nothing railway related think its the family planning clinic

Nope nothing railway related think its the family planning clinic

Yup, it is, or was, the Brookside [!] Family Planning Clinic, which sorted out all sorts of other delicate matters connected with the 'southern region'.........I am led to believe !

Polybulks worked to the coal depot at Aylesbury with smokeless fuel from Hucklehoven until the mid 1980's although not that often. Only on one occasion did I find one in the CCD but it was a very awkward spot to get really good photos. The discharge pit at the CCD was also used to unload aggregate - limestone from the Peak in HTV's and granite from Mountsorrel in Redland PGA's when I used to visit the place.

The wine traffic was for bottling by Saccone & Speed. Both Ermefer and Armstrong bogie tanks were regular visitors while one fine day that rarest of rare beasts, a four-wheel wine tank turned up.

• Informative/Useful 1

The pics of the boxes very interesting ,the pic of the signal shows the horrible County offices that a certain Mr Pooley designed and is known as "Pooley,s folly" you can even see this object when on the wcml at Cheddington.Remember the wine tanks and the coal ,we had an 08 then.

• RMweb Gold

the pic of the signal shows the horrible County offices that a certain Mr Pooley designed and is known as "Pooley,s folly" you can even see this object when on the wcml at Cheddington.[/i]

similarly in the autumn and winter you can see it from the chiltern line between haddenham and risborough, never noticed it from cheddington, will have to have a look next time im passing

one thing that amazed me about aylesbury when i first got my flat there and went for a drive to explore the area was just how close it is to the WCML (8 miles to tring) but it seems like a rural backwater, struck me as a place you only went to if you needed to go there, not somewhere you pass though en route to somewhere else, saying that the time i lived there i thoroughly enjoyed it (despite the fact my 1 room flat cost me a fortune in rent and council tax!)

its amazing how the lack of a through mainline railway can effect the fortunes of a town, be interesting to see what happens IF the line to MK reopens