Aylesbury Traffic - late 70's/early 80's

Barry W

Nope nothing railway related think its the family planning clinic

Ah, I see, fair enough moving swiftly on.

dave freight, excellent information indeed. Do you have any photos from the CCD? The only photos I have seen are the two below of the 04.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p142024154/h31766A0E#h31766a0e

http://www.heritageshunters.co.uk/Pictures/D2324/160285D2324AylesburyCoalConcentrationDepot.jpg

I don't suppose you would know how the depot was laid out? The map view on old-maps.co.uk doesn't help much, it shows three sidings,but gives no indication of what they were used for. Did the BR locos ever venture onto the PO sidings or was the shunting of the hoppers and tanks purely down to the 04?

Well done Fat Contoller too, great educated guess on the use of the polybulk! :sungum:

So before I start a new thread, does anyone know what an Armstrong bogie tank or 4 wheel wine tank look like? Paging Mr. Bartlett...

Ah, I see, fair enough moving swiftly on.

dave freight, excellent information indeed. Do you have any photos from the CCD? The only photos I have seen are the two below of the 04.

http://railphotoprin...66A0E#h31766a0e

http://www.heritages...rationDepot.jpg

I don't suppose you would know how the depot was laid out? The map view on old-maps.co.uk doesn't help much, it shows three sidings,but gives no indication of what they were used for. Did the BR locos ever venture onto the PO sidings or was the shunting of the hoppers and tanks purely down to the 04?

Well done Fat Contoller too, great educated guess on the use of the polybulk! :sungum:

So before I start a new thread, does anyone know what an Armstrong bogie tank or 4 wheel wine tank look like? Paging Mr. Bartlett...

Page 85/86 of 'International Train-Ferry Wagons in Colour' by David Ratcliffe has photos of both 4-wheel and bogie 'Ermefer' tanks. and a bogie 'Robert Armstrong'. IIRC, Robert Armstrong was part of the P&O group.

PB has these:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ermeferwine

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

the pic of the signal shows the horrible County offices that a certain Mr Pooley designed and is known as "Pooley,s folly" you can even see this object when on the wcml at cheddington.

i had a look out for the council offices when passing through cheddington en route to wembley on monday, lovely clear day and i was amazed at just how close they looked

just worked a train into aylesbury from risborough (in fact im sat in the mess room on the platform as i type this) and i made a special effort to see if the concrete signal post is still there and yes it is, it has been cut down to about 5ft but its still recognisable

Thank you for a timely bump gents! For those with an interest, the following photos (plus other interesting shots from Aylesbury) recently appeared on flickr...

At last! A photo of a 45 on bins at Aylesbury...http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepgreen2009/8124411146/in/photostream/

Would I be right in thinking BG's and a brace of blue GUV's at the north end? http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepgreen2009/8124393491/in/photostream/

An uncommon vantage point for this resting "rat" http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepgreen2009/8124412102/in/photostream/

It still surprises me how many photos are out there of Aylesbury, given that it was somewhat a railway backwater.

Barry

• RMweb Gold

The pics of the boxes very interesting ,the pic of the signal shows the horrible County offices that a certain Mr Pooley designed and is known as "Pooley,s folly" you can even see this object when on the wcml at Cheddington.Remember the wine tanks and the coal ,we had an 08 then.

Folly it may be, or may have been but it's now Grade 2 listed so get used to seeing it for a while longer!

• RMweb Premium
one thing that amazed me about aylesbury when i first got my flat there and went for a drive to explore the area was just how close it is to the WCML (8 miles to tring)

Many years ago now of course but Aylesbury (High Street) used to be joined to the WCML at Cheddington.

Thank you rob D2 for the heads up, some very helpful and interesting photos on that site, the view of the coal depot particularly so. :)

David, I will have to try and get along to the open day and see how progress goes on your Aylesbury layout.

I'm wondering which period has the most potential for a model of Aylesbury .

It would be nice to have the sector 56/60s on bins and stone, but had the parcels finished by then ?

Latest photo I've seen of parcels was 1988.

One working I'd love to model is the underground stock moves through there

I'm pinching alot of bucks/ icon freight to represent on my plank " run round sidings "

Edited by rob D2

• 1 month later...

Whilst flicking though issues of the British Railways London Midland Magazine, I discovered in the September 62 issue a little snippit of information on export of New Holland agricultural equipment from Aylesbury by train ferry to the continent, its only a couple of paragraphs and a photo, but it implies it was quite a regualr occurance.

Jon

In the 1970s there was an almost daily stock move of DMUs from Bletchley TMD to Aylesbury. It used to run at about 0430 or some other ungodly time. I tried to catch it once when I lived in Northampton and worked as a guard at Rickmansworth. That was the day it didn't run. I was late for work!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your input, all interesting and useful information.

I found this the other day, a 47 on parcels apparently headed for Aylesbury, now I know 47s were never regular visitors and was wondering if the 47 would have worked through to Aylesbury itself or maybe swapped at Bletchley for a 25?

http://www.theironroad.net/DieselElectricLocomotives/Class-47/Class47-British-Rail/16222493_LtKZz3#!i=1923143717&k=8vT3pgr&lb=1&s=A

Also found this one a while back, a 25 and 31 on what looks to me like an engineers train, at least I  presume MCVs were in engineers use in '84.

http://www.railpixtc.co.uk/80sArchive/1980-1984/1984/18463852_pvQgjz#!i=1424458341&k=9sdFHDs&lb=1&s=A

Barry

• RMweb Premium

In the 1970s there was an almost daily stock move of DMUs from Bletchley TMD to Aylesbury. It used to run at about 0430 or some other ungodly time. I tried to catch it once when I lived in Northampton and worked as a guard at Rickmansworth. That was the day it didn't run. I was late for work!!

The units used to arrive at Bletchley at around 19:00 hours for servicing, never saw the return working, now I know why (04:30!!).

• RMweb Premium

I found this the other day, a 47 on parcels apparently headed for Aylesbury, now I know 47s were never regular visitors and was wondering if the 47 would have worked through to Aylesbury itself or maybe swapped at Bletchley for a 25?

I wouldn't have thought an engine swap took place at Bletchley, more like the 47 was substituting for a 25 and worked throughout.

• 2 years later...

Better late than never - January 25 1982 25 313 and oil tanks - brought in from the south.  The previous Monday it was 25 035 and I have a pic of that train being split in order to fit in the oil depot sidings. Perhaps it was a mid-winter phenomenon.

I was in Aylesbury from 1978 to mid 82 - only taking a real interest in the last 18 months or so of that time. I remember an engineer's train in the south (west) sidings (2 x 25s) fertilizer for Akeman street heading north through the station, a pw train being reversed in from the north (I always imagined it had been to Akeman Street) - the coal, and jus de fruit (Emerfer - SNCF wagons from the south of France, very exotic) in sidings and heading off down the PR branch - a 97 (ex Class 24) on a test train etc. I also have a pic of a pw vehicle between the loco and the parcels vans.

Despite dozens of lunchtime and after work visits I only ever saw one Class 31, no class 50s and to see a binliner (Class 45) I had to take the dog out for a midnight stroll - the train thumped through the town at the witching hour. If I'd known about the 4 am newspaper I would have got up for it! I did like the magazine trains (I was told it was Readers Digest) and I occasionally got out to Waddesdon - it was great to see it rolling through the countryside on a rural byway.  I took a look at Winslow on a recent visit (my home town was Wolverton) and nature is still well and truly in charge. Will the Bletchley link ever be restored! Not at this rate.

On some Saturdays I'd get over to Princes Risboro to see the only loco hauled train heading for Paddington (a 50 or a 47)- and the odd special (a 47 or a 45) it was usually heaving with rain. On the occasion I treated myself to a trip into the capital my camera (a hard-hearted Zenit) decided to leave the film on the spool - such were the delights of pre-digital photography! 

Good luck if you've pressed ahead with the model - my LMS in the loft is dust-covered and the garden railway resembles Winslow!

post-27053-0-45523700-1440783936_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Are you looking forward to Marylebone Bletchley Jim ?

funny how times change, when this was posted i still worked at chiltern with no thought of going to colas, now almost 3 years down the line from that post i have been heavily involved in the trains rebuilding part of the line between bletchley and oxford! 

as for my original reply of "probably wont sign it" turns out i was actually the first person to drive a train along the new chord at bicester

lovely pic of 25313, gotta love a 25 with snow ploughs, welcome to the forum btw

• Like 3

What a great post willhayfield, thank you for your recollections.

That photo of the 25 on the oil tankers is brilliant and I think you are correct with your thinking on when it ran.  I have just read some recollections about the same diagram, albeit with a 47 on Leighton Logs and it states there it was a winter turn and on demand.

I recently purchased a book called Shunter Duties from 1985 and it lists Aylesbury as an LMR parcels stabling point, do you recall much actual stabling of parcels stock during your visits?

With regards to progress on my layout, two house moves in quick sucession have put paid to that until now, plus seeing the excellent Aylesbury Town layout from the Risborough club taking shape makes me think a slightly different location might be wise.

Great photo, I wonder where the tanks originated if it came from the south ?

Thameshaven via Ripple Lane or possibly Grain? Strange to see 25s on them, though, as these would normally have been jobs for Stratford 31s, 37s or 47s.

The 'Fruit Juice' was in fact bulk wine, bottled in the UK. I think the customer was Saccone and Speed. Unloading was via a big hose, passed through a hole that had been cut in the fence around the edge of the Coal Concentration Depot.

The magazine traffic was from BPCC, one of 'Captain Bob' Maxwell's firms; apart from 'Reader's Digest', I believe it may also have included 'Radio Times'; BPCC certainly printed those at some of their other sites.