The Varying Shades of Cookworthy!

Hi all,

Whilst trying to decide which of my favorite Cornish tractors to model for my N scale layout I stumbled across some interesting photographs of 37207 "William Cookworthy". Now prior to about 1986 Bill seemed to be wearing standard BR Blue, some time around 1986 it seems Bill got a lick of paint as well as the cant rail stripe added above the windows (rather than the standard below the windows position).

After this paint job 207 seems, at least in the handfull of pictures I have got, to be a different shade of blue to BR Blue. The blue looks much more rich and with less green in it. I am sure it isn't just the film used as the photographs are by different photographers and their other 37 shots, including 207 prior to 1986 seem to look standard blue to me.

My question is how did this come about? Did the chaps at Blazey use a non-standard tin of BR Blue? Is it something to do with the way paint was applied? Or perhaps how it was cleaned? Or maybe I am just seeing things!?

Anyway, I think this is the tractor I'm going to model as I like the interesting cant rail position, the seemingly alternative blue colour as well as the lizard arrows, Cornish crest and crossed flags. I just need to figure out whether to spray with something other than BR Blue.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Good choice Jack!

Can't comment on the shades but agreed it did look nice with the lizard emblems etc.

Here's my work in progress one...and I played safe and kept the Farish BR Blue!

Excuse the transfers...still need to apply that coat of Klear varnish... :rolleyes:

post-3290-0-10641100-1323715641_thumb.jpg

Good choice Jack!

Can't comment on the shades but agreed it did look nice with the lizard emblems etc.

Here's my work in progress one...and I played safe and kept the Farish BR Blue!

Excuse the transfers...still need to apply that coat of Klear varnish... :rolleyes:

post-3290-0-10641100-1323715641_thumb.jpg

Excellent work Pete!

Your tractor is correct in the standard Farish BR Blue as you have modelled it prior to sometime in or around 1986 without the cant rail stripe above the windows. The blue only changed after whatever was done when they added that stripe.

Did you produce the decals yourself? I have the artwork for mine semi-drawn up, the plan is to get Red Firecracker Decals to print them from my artwork, though in the interests of saving some money I am waiting until I have finished the artwork for my other clay bits (PRAs, Polybulks and BR Ferry Vans) so I can put them on one sheet.

KIndest Regards,

Jack

Jack,

I see what you mean but are you sure that's not just an artefact of the high colour saturation of that particular photograph? Colour prints from slides/negatives often suffered from this. I find colour matching 80s/90s stock very difficult because of the variability of the colour printing process of the scanned images (e.g. trying to find the right shade of ARC mustard for my JHAs - every photo is different!).

Guy

Jack,

I see what you mean but are you sure that's not just an artefact of the high colour saturation of that particular photograph? Colour prints from slides/negatives often suffered from this. I find colour matching 80s/90s stock very difficult because of the variability of the colour printing process of the scanned images (e.g. trying to find the right shade of ARC mustard for my JHAs - every photo is different!).

Guy

I agree that picture I linked to is saturated; That's the only picture I could find online though, I have other pictures in books and they show similar to my eye. There is one in John Vaughans "Diesel Retrospective - Class 37" on p49 which shows a similar rich blue. Yet other photographs taken by John Vaughan around the same period and in similar conditions show BR Blue as I'd expect to see it, the same with 37207 pictures prior to the cant rail stripe being added to it.

I think it is either the way the paint was applied or perhaps some wax or varnish that was applied after.

Regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack,

No, John Peck of Precison labels did them.

Why not drop him an email - it wasn't that expensive and if you tell him what you need, he is very accommodating.

Pete

Red Firecracker and Precision Labels are a similar price though I have dealt with Kelvin in the past and he has provided me with excellent service, in fact one order was with me less than 48hrs after I emailed the artwork. So I'd feel like I was cheating on him, if that's the right metaphor!? :lol:

Cheers,

Jack

What is BR blue? I get really confused these days. The recent loco repaints at Barrow Hill and on the main line seem TOO royal blue. I seem to remember it darker, but then locos were subject to weathering etc...

I wonder whether we forget the real hue as the standard traction colour nowadays seems to be dark blue, (DRS, FGW etc..) so maybe we are tainted by these liveries.

Here is 207 in the glory days...

37207 at Penzance with the weedkiller train

post-2613-0-56813600-1323948757_thumb.jpg

37207 - by then de-named and heading the 18.10 to Bristol past Roskear Jn

post-2613-0-50893600-1323948771_thumb.jpg

The original pic is definately 'over cooked'

A liitle bit of gamma correction (I'm no expert) comes up with green grass and a better shade of blue

Small extract from original

post-1161-0-13111700-1323962990.jpg

It still looks to be more blue than BR Blue to my eye. I like it better than BR in fact :D

I think I will probably paint my Cookworthy in an "off-BR Blue" as in the pictures I have in books she seems a different colour. I am forever on the look out for a Cookworthy shot with another BR Blue tractor so I can directly compare without worrying about film cast, lighting conditions etc. Perhaps double heading with 37175 or 37235.

Does anyone know where the repaint in 86/87 was done; The cantrail stripe was also moved to above the windows. Would it have been Blazey?

Thanks for those shots Craig!

Cheers,

Jack

• 1 month later...

Archived