The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

music player thingys

Mickey

• RMweb Premium

since i seem to have re discoverd the fine music of the late 90s.... how do i play it on demand....are them Brennan things any good?

The Brennan is an expensive one trick pony, but it does that trick reasonably well, if all you want to do is turn your CDs into a jukebox.

Do you want to play music you've already got on demand, or find stuff on the 'net and play it, using Spotify for example?

since i seem to have re discoverd the fine music of the late 90s.... how do i play it on demand....are them Brennan things any good?

First of all the Brennan.

Read the thread that Rod (10800) provided the link to above.

All it is, is a device for ripping your CD's into low quality "lossy" mp3's. Convenient, probably, but the user interface is said to be poor, especially for indexing a library.

There are much better options available.

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "Play on demand"?

If you mean accessing your own collection of CD's, then the Brennan, or various other (better) systems or methods are available.

Maybe music downloads, such as those from iTunes or suchlike are what you have in mind?

On the other hand, if you would like to listen to almost any music available, without buying or owning any of it, then a music streaming service may be of interest.

Spamcan61 has already mentioned Spotify, but there are several other services out there, including Deezer, Napster, We7, Sony Music Unlimited and the soon to be launched Rara and the Pure Music service from Pure, the DAB and Internet radio manufacturer.

Some of these services are free and some require a monthly subscription.

There are also internet radio options. Although this is not-on demand as such, there are a vast choice of music channels tailored to specific musical genres, sub-genres or styles.

Some of the music streaming services also provide custom radio services, where you just select an artist or band and the radio channel just plays that artist/band's material, or that and tracks from similar artists, styles etc.

I've combined all of these options, CD's ripped and stored in lossless format, music downloads stored in iTunes (and some mp3's stored in a separate folder), on-demand streaming services and internet radio, and access it through a wireless multi-room music system.

Now I don't have to buy any more CD's or Downloads if I don't want to, because with the music streaming option I can just select what I want, anytime I like and just play it right away. If I fancy switching to a CD, then I just select it on my controller and it plays in an instant (providing I've ripped it and stored it in my music library).

It's the best toy I've bought in years.

Archived