Railway Modelling Orientated Stock Inventory Application?

Hi fellas

I apologise in advance if this is has been asked previously here, albeit not through laziness. Several forumS wide unsuccessful searches widening it to just "stock inventory" were conducted prior to posting this further enquiry here.

What I'm seeking is a model railway inventory application for my expanding fleet. Preferable although not prerequisite is some kind of maintenance record capability and log. Buy-ware is fine. Primarily I'm after something competent, specifically intended for or generically suited to purpose and quite willing to pay for best in class where it's worth the $$ asked.

i.e. I use DVDProfiler for maintaining my inventory of films, and MediaMonkey Gold effectively takes care of my digital music library inventory needs by default. IME both are best in class in their respective genre class and given the frequency I use them and purpose they serve, purchasing licences for them = great value.

Fingers crossed there is something out there I'm unaware of that someone else here is.

Thanks.

Keiron

Thank's fellas. I'll download both Yard Office and CMS Stock trialware for evaluation. That it might assist others seeking similar software, after I've given them both a fair shake I'll précis my conclusions here in due course. In the interim, should you already know of or come across any other app which might be suitable to purpose, a heads up accompanied by a link would be most welcome.

Excel now, but started with a Beta version of DB2, then a Shareware version of DB3, then Windows came along and psssstt, into Excel...

It does what I need, I don't want bells etc., and I don't want it to distract me from my other activities ...

I have about 30 loco's, 400+ Goods, 70 Coaches and 45 NPCS's.....

there are, I think 20+ Columns for Code, Type, various Descriptions, Makes, Status, Notes, etc.,

Guest dilbert

Yet another Excel user - most useful in keeping track of all those bits 'n bobs (all types of buffers, wagon strapping, wheelsets etc...) that decrease in quantity to ensure that the possibility of running dry is kept to a minimum... dilbert

Like others I made up an Excel spread sheet. It is useful as a 'reality check'. Set me on the path of clearing out what I was not going to, or live long enough, to build.

I estimated I needed to live to 172 to be able to buld all the kits I had in stock. The estimate is now down to age 94 so here's hoping.

My loco audit includes such fields as built/unbuilt, wheels, motor, gears,nameplates, special fittings. This helps when going to a show by highlighting any bits needed to complete or more importantly, prevents duplication. I have just been given three Hornby Pullman coaches by a friend who forgot he had already bought them and purchased them a second time. We produced a spread sheet of his stock and many duplications emerged. He was also hanging on to many old coaches yet he had purchsed more recent releases to replace them. Again enabled a mass clear out and now he can find things.

I have my leg pulled by those that know me as my the nameplate audit showed up some plates with no loco, so I went out and soureced a loco to go with the plates I already had.

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

I have a copy of the listing with me at exhibitions to answer queries, the only problem is, some of the makers are long defunct and their products have moved through a number of hands/owners since then, like Micro-Rail, Modellers World, K's, etc., and of course I don't update my records with those amendments - I don't need to for meeeeee.

• RMweb Premium

I've coded up my own Access database, and eventually will migrate it to a proper independently installable application. It doesn't currently do maintenance, either theoretical for the prototype or actual for the model. That's something I've had plans to do for a while but I just haven't felt in the mood to do any coding recently.

I'm another Excel user. I store details of what DCC chips/addresses/pins are in stock there. Makes it easy if you decided to get a new chip so that you can then cascade chips to stock with cheap chips.

For many you can get Open Office as a free download that will work on MAC and PC's so that you can create, use and edit MS office documents. http://www.openoffice.org/

Advantage with excel is that you can store what you want and in a format suitable to you.

Archived