Biomass hoppers

• RMweb Gold

Freightliner Heavy Haul has unveiled its new prototype covered hopper wagon that has been developed for the biomass market.

The wagon is a modified HHA coal hopper wagon which has covers fitted to ensure that the product is kept dry whilst being conveyed from loading site to destination.

The wagon modification was manufactured at the WH Davies workshops at Shirebrook and offers the most advanced design covered hopper wagon in the UK biomass market.

The wagon was moved from Shirebrook to the Freightliner workshops at York earlier this week and has already had viewings from several generating companies who are examining the potential for the generation of renewable power from sustainable biomass.

Michael Leadbetter, Freightliner’s General Manager Coal & Biomass, added “Visits by other customers are already lined up to examine the wagon. The wagon and concept has been extremely well received so far by everyone. We have worked well with the designers and manufacturers to develop this wagon. Having developed its design following consultation with the generation industry, I am now confident to inject it into the market and we will be undertaking trials with it in the near future.”

From the Freightliner news page.

• RMweb Gold

The nice people from Hattons (via the Royal Mail) delivered a couple of IIAs today. By luck (I hadn't seen Ben's post when I ordered) I think I have got some from the batch with the correct font.

So the question is whether to try and etch the covers (so that other people can have some if they want) or to build out of plasticard?

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If thing turn out as is hoped I might get the chance of taking some pics of such vehicles in the New Year.

Right for those who might be interested here are a couple of taster pics of fully modified IIAs. There is a awful lot of lettering on these vehicles as those who are interested no doubt already know! One point worth remembering is that they have three airpipes between vehicles, not just the usual two (but only two to the loco - as per normal).

Although I have not marked them these pics are taken from my original photos which were taken in a place which is rarely accessible (with due safety procedures in place) and the pictures must not be reproduced without my permission please. Some more detailed pics of markings etc are available. (and apologies for the poor lighting but the natural light was not good)

post-6859-0-40868000-1326319409_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-27536600-1326319457_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-94589200-1326319496_thumb.jpg

Archived