The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Favourite drumbeats

dagrizz

• RMweb Premium

I can't name any one in particular as it is impossible as I enjoy the drummers (are they snares they use?) in Military marching bands such as the Royal Marines. Maybe even more so the Scots Pipe bands as seen at events such as Edinburgh Tattoos. There is something that just makes you need to step in time if there is a marching band playing somewhere and you are walking by.

I quite liked the sounds made by that bunch of blokes that used to do stage performances using drain pipes, oil drums and similar items; was it 'Stomp'?

P

Almost anything by Billy Cobham - 'Quadrant 4' and 'Stratus' from 'Spectrum' (the latter famously sampled by Massive Attack on Blue Lines' 'Safe from Harm').

Drummers of Burundi (once saw live at WOMAD '82 playing Zimbo alongside Echo & The Bunnymen). African drummers in general actually - check out the talking drums on King Sunny Ade's 'Juju Music'.

Better (IMO) is John Bonham on "When the Levee Breaks" - samples of it pop up all over the place.

Best, Pete.

Have to agree with you on that Pete. Forget the rest of the music and concentrate on the drums. There are some amazing beats on there. Also some great drum rolls in Misty Mountain Hop.

I really like Matthew Helders from The Arctic Monkeys, especially on 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dance Floor' and James Ford of The Last Shadow Puppets on 'The Age Of The Understatement', but the one I can never stop attempting to tap along to is Ron Wilson from The Surfaris on 'Wipeout'.

My favourite drums from an actual song is the drums from 'Wipeout' (sorry, too young to know anything else about it!). Unfortunately for me, I wasn't quite able to do it justice when I performed it last year. :(

As far as drum only performances go, Top Secret from Switzerland have to be my all time favourite.

Matt.

• RMweb Gold

Almost anything by Billy Cobham - 'Quadrant 4' and 'Stratus' from 'Spectrum' (the latter famously sampled by Massive Attack on Blue Lines' 'Safe from Harm').

Drummers of Burundi (once saw live at WOMAD '82 playing Zimbo alongside Echo & The Bunnymen). African drummers in general actually - check out the talking drums on King Sunny Ade's 'Juju Music'.

Just caught a bit of 'spectrum' on Youtube... 4 sticks... come on what a show off :no:

I once read that when Zep were recording this track, Jimmy Page was unhappy with the drum sound Bonzo was getting in the studio so he had the drum kit moved into the adjacent stairwell to get the sound he wanted.

Graham

Sounds like it - that's another Headley Grange recording. Personally I hate "dry" drums - I like to add a different reverb to the snare and another for the rest.

Best, Pete.

Just caught a bit of 'spectrum' on Youtube... 4 sticks... come on what a show off :no:

Goes with the territory for many drummers in the late 60s and 70s, hence the obligatory 'drum solo' in most rock gigs of the era, some of which were truly awful. These days Cobham doesn't need to prove anything and can just focus on providing the rhythm and making use of the kit as another instrument - saw him a couple of years ago with the Cuban band Asere doing just that to perfection.

I once read that when Zep were recording this track, Jimmy Page was unhappy with the drum sound Bonzo was getting in the studio so he had the drum kit moved into the adjacent stairwell to get the sound he wanted.

Graham

There's an article in drummers magazine Rhythm, November 2011 (40 years of Led Zep IV) focusing on Bonham. Studio engineer Andy Johns confirms that. As Pete said it was Headley Grange and it had a 'lobby', a big, four floor, open space with stairs going up it, and he used just two microphones set up on the first floor of the stairs. He says that a key contributor to the sound was the use of a 'Binson Echorec', an Italian made echo device owned by Jimmy Page.

A drum sound considered as the holy grail by many rock drummers.

• RMweb Premium

Saw Japanese Taiko Drummers at Eden Court, Inverness - absolutely Awesome! Not this particular group - but this will give you a flavour;

Hi Jack ,

would that have been an outfit called Mugenkyo by any chance , if so then I saw them a few years ago ,

brilliant way to pass two hours , and must rank as a good keep fit method too .

Hi Jack ,

would that have been an outfit called Mugenkyo by any chance , if so then I saw them a few years ago ,

brilliant way to pass two hours , and must rank as a good keep fit method too .

Could well have been - I honestly can't remember the name - but I have never seen a group of men put so much energy into drumming - they were literally running with sweat when they finished, and the audience gave them a standing ovation - a hell of a way to keep the weight down!

• RMweb Premium

Could well have been - I honestly can't remember the name - but I have never seen a group of men put so much energy into drumming - they were literally running with sweat when they finished, and the audience gave them a standing ovation - a hell of a way to keep the weight down!

Possibly a different lot then , Mugenkyo is a mixed band , females giving it as good as the blokes .

Archived