Semaphore Signals and OLE

That signal (at the site of Dewsnap) is still there, but nearly lost in the undergrowth. When was the one at Godley Jct. taken?

Taken in 1981. 76014 leading 76022 behind (the one with the lion/wheel emblem). Found some of my old pics. These Dewsnap sidings shots were taken after the wires had been removed but note the mesch screens protection fitted underneath. The three doll mainline signal was/is at Ashton Moss No 2. The wires used to extend from Guide Bridge over to the Standedge line were there used to be exchange sidings. The overhead wires had long been removed in the 1980's when the pic was taken, but the OHL gantries still remain to this day, as does the bracket signal less arms.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-45557800-1324374564_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-86264700-1324374581_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-84306700-1324374590_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-87815000-1324374610_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-41781100-1324374784_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not long after Carlisle too over the signalling, the black smudge at the end of the up (right hand as we look) platform was Oxenholme No.2 box.

I don't think the overheads were live at this time - as you summise.

Whilst reading the excellent "lost railways of Birmingham and the West Midlands" I was surprised to come across a photo of Lichfield City Signal box following completion of the Cross City electrification retaining its Semaphore Signals, and I assume that these Semaphores remained for at least another year until signalling was transferred to Aston PSB in 1992. Generally in the past I had assumed that routes were re signalled with MAS signalling during electrification barring a few oddities such as the remaining ground disks at Stafford and Willesden etc.

So my question now is:

1. How common was it for routes to retain semaphore signalling post electrification? Was Lichfield City an oddity?

2. What design considerations were required when Semaphores were retained in OLE areas? Eg were Faraday cages needed on the ladders / platforms? How far did the signals need to be from return wires? How were they traction bonded?

Thanks,

Jon

Another consideration with semaphores and overheads is that, semaphores tend to be older than the overheads, so once the gantries, masts etc etc start to go up it can become increasingly difficult for drivers to see clearly the signals so colour lights were put in place of the old semaphores. This happened quite a lot on the woodhead route and is one reason why there was such a mix of old and new signals along the route.

This is Godley Junction where, as Mike Stationmaster says, the semaphores remained on the earlier OH lines. I have a pic taken a few miles further towards Manchester at Dewsnap sidngs of a large braket signal with four posts of small arms with the OHL very close.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

The signal is still there, although in a very dilapidated condition, and adrift in the undergrowth. The OHL at Dewsnap was, of course dismantled when the Woodhead closed.

ISTR that the signalling through Stockport is 4-aspect colour lights and that the 5 boxes are still worked absolute block, at least between them; they were in 1981 when my brother was a booking lad in Heaton Norris and Edgeley No. 2. I think the AB continued to Adswood Road, but that closed in 1981(?), and then went to describers to Cheadle Hulme and London Road. Can you confirm, Kieth?

Archived