Kernow Model Centre 'Cornish Riviera' coaches

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

My set of four arrived today and a quick check before handing them over to Santa for pretty paper packing reveals an interesting gap in the latter labelling of the coaches. Is this, I idly wonder, anything to do with Kernow's 'surprise' announced in last weekend's newsletter in this manner - 'Something to look forward to post-Christmas - a surprise new model is due January/February 2012.... what could it be?!'

Or is that going to be something completely different? (and note Mr T has said 'new model ...due' so it's not an announcement and the implication is that it's not something which has already been announced.

Got my set delivered this week and have recently opened them up to check over. The CK has one window with a small inner 'frame' printed on the glass area in the same cream colour as the body. I presume this is modelled on a prototypical feature, does anyone know what it represents?

Got my set delivered this week and have recently opened them up to check over. The CK has one window with a small inner 'frame' printed on the glass area in the same cream colour as the body. I presume this is modelled on a prototypical feature, does anyone know what it represents?

It sounds very much like the removable window fitted to the prototypes, which enabled stretchers to be passed through the aperture in an emergency.

• RMweb Gold

As Nidge has suggested - it sounds very much like a Direct Access window which was provided to enable stretchers to be easily loaded. Remarkable to think that back in the 1960s we used to not only arrange for such vehicles to be included in trains but even altered platforming to ensure they were the handiest way round.

If my sometimes ailing memories serves, some 'official' photos of one in action so to speak were taken at Paddington in the mid to late '50s... I'm sure I've seen a b&w shot published somewhere showing a choc & cream example with a stretcher being thrust through the gap after the window had been removed.

• RMweb Gold

.....and it's exactly the same coach W 15110 as in the regular Bachmann release 39-129B except that the regular release does not have the Coach F board.

How do I know?....I bought an extra CK to add to the Kernow set but now I have two CKs with the same coach number :O .....

Not what I thought would happen :nono: .

Keith

Archived