Fenton park

modeler123

Hey.

The Fens are cool, especially on two wheels ;) Though I think they are in Cambridgeshire (stuck between Northamptonshire and Norfolk) The land of the flat!

As you've not included any pictures, we will expect a few thousand words from you to describe your layout!!! :D What scale are you modelling in? Have you got any rolling stock yet?

Good luck on your first venture of making a layout!

Regards

Lee :)

Hey.

The Fens are cool, especially on two wheels ;) Though I think they are in Cambridgeshire (stuck between Northamptonshire and Norfolk) The land of the flat!

As you've not included any pictures, we will expect a few thousand words from you to describe your layout!!! :D What scale are you modelling in? Have you got any rolling stock yet?

Good luck on your first venture of making a layout!

Regards

Lee :)

thanks I have all my coaches and wagons and most locos I asked mum for one more Ivatt class 2 for christmas

Ah, Never too young to enjoy this hobby!

Good luck for your Xmas request.....I've been trying to get my parents to buy me railway stuff for 14 years now!

Enjoy building your layout and be sure to ask the forum if you have any questions on layout building...the forum is a great help and inspiration.

Regards

Lee

Hi horsetan the name was inspired by a reigion called the"fens" in I belive bedfordshire and I just added the "ton" bit

Ah.....Glad I checked.

It's just that the proximity of "Fenton" and "park" made me wonder whether you were going to put a model of a black dog chasing after some deer in the background of your layout as a bit of satire....

Ah, someone has been reading the latest Railway Moddeller... :P

If I were you, however, I'd go for the older Hornby canopy, that can cover two tracks easily and give off a similar, if less awe-inspiring effect.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I tend to end up with massive headaches when I come to planning a layout...it's possibly the hardest and most stressful part for me. As it is, I've started 17 designs in the last 10 years, and I've never finished one! It's been a very expensive learning curve!

That said, I've learned a few things in my latest project, an'd I'll share my learnings for free :)

It's quite commonly said around the forum and within the hobby, "less is more". This is almost deffinatly the case, so when I designed my latest project, I chose to model a terminus station with a small yard. I then went and looked at loads of photos of my subject, which lead me to the theme of North Wales.

Once I'd spent a couple of weeks looking through all these photos etc, I made a list of the things I wanted on my layout. From that list, I chose two or three features, and dumped the rest! It's far too tempting to try and get everything in a layout, and this tends to ruin the end result.

Something to bare in mind - especially for someone as young as yourself - You will build more layouts in the future. If you can't get all your ideas into this one, save them for the next one! Many, if not most of the forum members with layouts, probably have or have had more than one.

Another good reason for sticking to the "less is more" philosophy, is that building a layout takes time. In that time the plan becomes more fluid, and evolves. You'll start to add things in as you go, and if you've planned too much in at the start, there will be little room left by the end!

Hope that's of some help, but remember it's your layout so make it what you want it to be! It will only be a sucess if you enjoy it!

As it is, I quite like your current idea. What happens to the two lines leading towards the camera in that last shot?

Regards

Lee

Well as it stands now it does look good, and quite interesting to operate.

yeah it is set in the 1990s with my class 158 doing the passenger sevices and my brothers 06 and my class 87 doing frieght. Also you might notice the odd GWR pannier tank .

Hi

I tend to end up with massive headaches when I come to planning a layout...it's possibly the hardest and most stressful part for me. As it is, I've started 17 designs in the last 10 years, and I've never finished one! It's been a very expensive learning curve!

That said, I've learned a few things in my latest project, an'd I'll share my learnings for free :)

It's quite commonly said around the forum and within the hobby, "less is more". This is almost deffinatly the case, so when I designed my latest project, I chose to model a terminus station with a small yard. I then went and looked at loads of photos of my subject, which lead me to the theme of North Wales.

Once I'd spent a couple of weeks looking through all these photos etc, I made a list of the things I wanted on my layout. From that list, I chose two or three features, and dumped the rest! It's far too tempting to try and get everything in a layout, and this tends to ruin the end result.

Something to bare in mind - especially for someone as young as yourself - You will build more layouts in the future. If you can't get all your ideas into this one, save them for the next one! Many, if not most of the forum members with layouts, probably have or have had more than one.

Another good reason for sticking to the "less is more" philosophy, is that building a layout takes time. In that time the plan becomes more fluid, and evolves. You'll start to add things in as you go, and if you've planned too much in at the start, there will be little room left by the end!

Hope that's of some help, but remember it's your layout so make it what you want it to be! It will only be a sucess if you enjoy it!

As it is, I quite like your current idea. What happens to the two lines leading towards the camera in that last shot?

Regards

Lee

it branches of to the fiddle yard or an engine depot

Archived