Hornby R 2784X Railroad Mallard -is it convertable to Brassmasters Easy Chassis?

I have been looking at the Hornby R 2784X Railroad Mallard. It is loco drive but the tender looks like it was the one for tender drive but without the motor. The model is DCC fitted. I am not concerned about details such as lamp brackets and the model does have sprung buffers and the body shape does appear to be the same as the more expensive recent versions. I think it is the same model as the Quicksilver loco in the recently released Yorkshire Pullman train set renamed as Mallard.

The Brassmasters Easy Chassis is designed for the "Full Specification" models that are loco drive with tender used for pickup. Their site has a list of compatable models for the A3 and A4 but this one is not included, I believe most Railroad ones are tender drive so cannot be converted.

The question is can I use this for the Brassmasters chassis?

If anyone has a R 2784X can is it possible to take off the loco body and photograph the chassis and for the tender take a pic of the underneath and one with the tender body removed.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tony

I do have a Railroad R2784X Mallard, bought cheaply off ebay as a non-runner. Removed the DCC chip, put in a blanking plate and off she went, very nicely. It is a loco drive version and does use the same motor and drive gear as the more detailed ones. I cant comment on Sam Moss's statement of the valve gear as I dont have anything to compare it with. If you still wish, I can take the body and tender body off and email you photos.

The tender is not as obviously an old tender drive one as the Flying Scotsman Railroad model, which still has the traction tyres on the tender, and the motor frame and pickups, but it does have pickups on (I think) 2 of the 4 axles. I havent actually opened it up to look inside!

Simon

I do have a Railroad R2784X Mallard, bought cheaply off ebay as a non-runner. Removed the DCC chip, put in a blanking plate and off she went, very nicely. It is a loco drive version and does use the same motor and drive gear as the more detailed ones. I cant comment on Sam Moss's statement of the valve gear as I dont have anything to compare it with. If you still wish, I can take the body and tender body off and email you photos.

The tender is not as obviously an old tender drive one as the Flying Scotsman Railroad model, which still has the traction tyres on the tender, and the motor frame and pickups, but it does have pickups on (I think) 2 of the 4 axles. I havent actually opened it up to look inside!

Simon

Tony,

Tender now opened up following your PM! Photos emailed over to you.

The tender is from the tender drive range, with much of the Ringfield motor frame present, as well as the pickups on first and third axles. In this respect it is actually similar to my Railroad Flying Scotsman.

Simon

Archived