Bachmann Class 150's

Bouncy Bouncy

Hi All,

I've got a Bachmann Class 150/2 in Regional Railways colours, and it's a bit of a slow runner. It's always been slow since I bought it nearly 2 years ago, however it doesn't seem to be improving at all. It seems to take a while to "warm up" after being stood for a bit, and struggles on sections where other units fly through. The dummy coach is also unbelievably light, and the unit is derailing when going over points when the dummy is leading.

I'd just like to know if anyone else has experienced slow running with their 150's, or if they have been geared in such a way to only allow slow running.

Thanks

So the slow running is a characteristic of the model? I wouldn't say it was smooth mind, it has gradually got more and more stuttery, although that could be a bi-product of the cold in the loft..

Muddys-blues, the model operates on a DC layout so sound isn't fitted.

Thansk for your help

So the slow running is a characteristic of the model? I wouldn't say it was smooth mind, it has gradually got more and more stuttery, although that could be a bi-product of the cold in the loft..

Thansk for your help

Hi, the sound question, was that the speaker can be put in the wrong way round and it fouls on the flywheel, another question are you pretty adaptable at stripping and re-building the models ? if you are remove one bogie at a time and see if that makes a difference on the running speed of the motor, if so it could be one of the bgoies will need fettling, if the motor still runs badly with both bogies out, it could be a motor or PCB problem.

Hope this helps

Craig.

Thansk for your help

Sorry Bouncy, try this this possible solution first, with regards to the electronics of the PCB, have you tried another 21pin blanking plug ? if you have another loco that runs ok, swop the blanking plugs over, they sometimes can have a solder or joint problem.

Best regards

Craig.

• 4 months later...

On this topic nobody seems to have responded to the question of light dummy car derailing. My 150 doesn't seem to have speed problems but does derail with the dummy car leading. Has anybody tried weighting the dummy car, or would the remedy be worse than the disease?

I have a 150 that has a habit of derailing when the trailer car is leading. In my case it seems that there is very little freedom of movement vertically so if the track is slightly uneven (points, inclines, etc) the bogie at fault ends up riding on the rear wheels only leaving the front wheels clear of the track. On points or a bend if the bogie will therefor no longer follow the track and derail. I have had a similar problem with a couple of Bachmann Mk1 coaches, in that car the stud that holds the coiling spring mechanism in place is too large and fouls the bogie. I resolved the problem by filing down ever so slightly the stud to enable the bogie to move vertically.

I have just discovered with two of my 150s that the little ladders on the leading/trailing bogies foul the lower edge of the bodyside. They make a clicking noise as the bogie swivels and the ladder passes underneath the body. The trailer car is so light that sometimes the ladder blocks the bogie and derails it. I haven't found a solution for this yet without cutting the top rung of the ladder off.

No problems with mine. It was my first Bachmann and my first DCC loco. Runs brilliantly (came already fitted) not one single issue at all and I would recommend it (based on my experience) to anyone. I have a couple on my wishlist that I still need to buy.

Archived