Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Model Rail Sentinel & TCS DP2X-UK

70E

On analogue the loco control was smooth from a crawl though to a slow shunting speed.

I have since fitted a TCS DP2-UK and the control is not so good. First throttle notch it has the nice slow crawl, second notch it jumps to an unrealistic faster speed.

Can anyone advise on the settings I need to get a smooth speed control through the range as on analogue?

Using Lenz LH100

Many thanks

Try changing the acceleration value. I know that with the chip I have in it the manual gives suggestions/settings for different types of locos.

Another idea try running it with the feedback turned off on the chip, sometimes this can be done via a FN button.

With the TCS DP2X-UK you need to set the top and mid volts CV settings (CV5,6)

Start with the top (CV5) adjust this until you get a realistic top speed, I find usually around a half to 2/3rds the maximum setting.

Once you have this, set the mid (CV6) to about 2/3rds this setting (i.e. if CV5 is 60 set CV6 to 20). This will give good slow speed control.

Next adjust the Acceleration/Decleration CV's (3,4), the bigger the number the longer it will take to reach the set speed.

Hope this helps.

Ray.

On analogue the loco control was smooth from a crawl though to a slow shunting speed.

I have since fitted a TCS DP2-UK and the control is not so good. First throttle notch it has the nice slow crawl, second notch it jumps to an unrealistic faster speed.

Can anyone advise on the settings I need to get a smooth speed control through the range as on analogue?

Using Lenz LH100

Many thanks

When did you buy this decoder.....I have had a few issues too with a batch of these decoders......if its one of those, you will never sort it.

If you have another much older TCS DP2X-UK decoder, then try that one to see if it works.....you will then know if you have a faulty one or not.

Bob

PM me if you want further details.

• RMweb Gold

I have two Hornby King Arthurs fitted with DP2X-UK decoders. One works fine but the other has always been problematical. Slow speed can be jerky no matter how I set CV5/CV6. Only by turning off Back EMF (CV61=0) is this jerkiness resolved. But that leads to other problems: with DCC automation the loco is inconsistent as to where it comes to a stand for a scheduled stop, often pulling up two coaches short compared with other locos.

Checking the version number in CV7 I can see the "good" decoder has a value of 47 but the problem one has a value of 50 which implies it is a later version. Is this the one with the problem?

I have two Hornby King Arthurs fitted with DP2X-UK decoders. One works fine but the other has always been problematical. Slow speed can be jerky no matter how I set CV5/CV6. Only by turning off Back EMF (CV61=0) is this jerkiness resolved. But that leads to other problems: with DCC automation the loco is inconsistent as to where it comes to a stand for a scheduled stop, often pulling up two coaches short compared with other locos.

Checking the version number in CV7 I can see the "good" decoder has a value of 47 but the problem one has a value of 50 which implies it is a later version. Is this the one with the problem?

My faulty ones had a version number in CV7 of 86, purchased about June/July this year.......mine(4 of them) all went back to America, where they accepted the fault, and replaced them without question.

Check out the date of the decoders, my faulty ones were as follows.....CV250 = 6, CV251 = 28, CV252 = 11

i.e. 28th June 2011

I believe railcom was added about this time.....not sure went was wrong. The performance of an old decoder I had, against the bad ones was absolutely chalk and cheese. I couldnt get the faulty ones to do what I wanted of them, as I previously had been able to do.

Have you tried swapping the decoders over from one loco to another, to see if the problem is with the loco or the decoder.

Bob

Firstly, thank you to all of you who have responded with advice,

I tried turning BEMF off, adjusting CV's etc with no joy.

Replaced the decoder with a Bachmann EZ command decoder and it was a different loco, slow crawl, good control, no jerkiness etc.

Reset the TCS decoder and placed it in a Bachmann 57xx and had the same problems as before so it would sem it is the decoder.

Checked the CV's as recommended.

CV250 = 9

CV251 = 26

CV252 = 11

Date 26/9/11, I purchased it in November.

CV7 = 86 and it has railcom, so it would seem that the decoder is faulty and so I need to see if I can return it to Bromsgrove models for an exchange.

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried swapping the decoders over from one loco to another, to see if the problem is with the loco or the decoder.

Bob

Getting the body off a Hornby King Arthur is not for the faint-hearted and I'm loath to disturb the good one - it's so easy to damage the body. I have moved the DP2X-UK for the poor runner to an M7 which is just about OK. This KA now has a Hornby R8249 but this again only works smoothly if back EMF is switched off. I'd love to put in a Lenz Standard+ but alas it's too big. I do have one in the KA with watercart tender as that has the decoder socket in the tender. This one runs perfectly. Might look at a Zimo decoder at some point.

The good DP2X decoder has CV250=1, CV251=27 and CV252=9 whereas the values for the other ae 11, 24 and 9.

I did once have 7 of these decoders but I found them erratic, esecially in some of the Bachmann steamers, eg standard 3MT tank and Fairburn 4MT tank. The performance of these engines was transformed when I swapped them with Lenz Silver decoders from a couple of my 73s. Since then I've taken advantage of the usual Ebay madness and cashed in 5 of them and bought Lenz Standard+ decoders as replacements.

Getting the body off a Hornby King Arthur is not for the faint-hearted and I'm loath to disturb the good one - it's so easy to damage the body. I have moved the DP2X-UK for the poor runner to an M7 which is just about OK. This KA now has a Hornby R8249 but this again only works smoothly if back EMF is switched off. I'd love to put in a Lenz Standard+ but alas it's too big. I do have one in the KA with watercart tender as that has the decoder socket in the tender. This one runs perfectly. Might look at a Zimo decoder at some point.

The good DP2X decoder has CV250=1, CV251=27 and CV252=9 whereas the values for the other ae 11, 24 and 9.

I did once have 7 of these decoders but I found them erratic, esecially in some of the Bachmann steamers, eg standard 3MT tank and Fairburn 4MT tank. The performance of these engines was transformed when I swapped them with Lenz Silver decoders from a couple of my 73s. Since then I've taken advantage of the usual Ebay madness and cashed in 5 of them and bought Lenz Standard+ decoders as replacements.

How familiar your tales of woe are.!!!!

Your old(good) DP2X-UK decoder is from 2009....and the way you have written down the values for the bad decoder makes it also look like it is from 2009, or could it be 24th Sept 2011...??? If it is a recent one, then it will have Railcom on it, and that means it is different to the older ones.

The DP2X was my decoder of choice where space was a bit limited, but now I prefer to stay with Lenz decoders, and although 50% more expensive, I use the Lenz Silver Mini Plus for those difficult small space jobs.......performs wonderfully.

My Bachmann steamers would be extremely erratic with the DP2X......although they worked ok in Hornby steamers....bizzare. I eventually found that removing ALL the capacitors from the Bachmann locos was the answer to the poor performance, it absolutely transformed them.....so if you havent already done that, I strongly suggest you try it.

A Pal of mine did manage to get the poor DP2X decoders to work in his M7 using the following CV values.....but those values bore no resemblance to the older DP2X that he had fitted in another M7.

CV3…50

CV4…50

CV5…125

CV6…60

I'm not knocking the DP2X....and I did get excellent service from TCS America......and I do have a few of these decoders in use......I just prefer Lenz decoders for their all round consistency and perfrmance....they give me what I'm looking for.

Bob

PS....I use a Lenz LH100 operating system.

Archived