NOTTINGHAM East Midlands MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION 2012

Galtee More

I spent a good while 'hanging over the fence' at Stoke Summit. I was intrigued by the very modern looking vehicles in a couple of trains - were they Cravens prototype carriages? They looked very swish compared to the very traditional looking Mk1s. Altogether a very compelling evocation of happy days by the old ECML... if only there were some way of recreating the sound, smoke and steam and the smell of creosoted sleepers...

An excellent show - well done Ian, Neill, Nick and all the rest of the team. Also many thanks for the catering facilities for the exhibitors which, as always, are much appreciated.

There were certainly plenty of I don't think I've seen so many familiar faces at a show in a long time and it was great to chat to friends whilst having a quick trip away from Bradfield (and over the layout too). I hope our efforts on the operational side of things were appreciated and that not too many of the c**ck-ups were noticed. At least the SPAD count remained very low.

I also got the chance on Sunday to give 'W P Allen' the chance to stretch her (his?) legs on Stoke Summit fo most of the day, and to meet Gilbert for the first time. Thanks to Tim Easter for showing me the two B1s he's been detailing and weathering for Peterborough North.

All in all, a superb, though tiring weekend, and definitely one not to be missed.

A super show and a most welcome and unexpected (I hadn't looked at the programme) chance to see Stoke Summit again.

But the star of the show and the layout I went to see was Bradfield, which fully met the expectations raised by the photos on RMweb. As you say a very low c**ck-up count and no SPADS noticed...the collision I saw took place under clear signals.....! :rtfm: The displays of the train movements were brilliant and reminded me of 'low tech' versions of the same thing many years ago. I look forward to seeing the layout again.

Congratulations to the show organisers.

Regards

Andy Rush

As you say a very low c**ck-up count and no SPADS noticed...the collision I saw took place under clear signals.....! :rtfm:

Regards

Andy Rush

Ah that! Not guilty m'Lord. Suddaby may or on the other hand may not have something to say about that.

Intersting reading re the trade. For the first time in ages I didnt attend Nottingham, even though I had a berth operating Portchullin for one day. Aside from the fact I had been out on the lash from work all day Friday and was consequently incapacitated on Saturday, Im out wiith the layout at Ally Pally next weekend and that will be expensive, so with the juice bill likely to have been in excess of £40 and not wanting to be AWOL from home again I thought enough is enough .

Like many Im selective with what I buy, moneys tight and about to get tighter, so I decided last year that the only time I'm actually going to buy at any show other than in dire emergencies (and if that, only off a trader that supports us), is at our show. Any other purchases will be done at my local model shop (Arcadia) who I'd rather support.

I had an excellent day at the show yesterday. It was good to see Stoke Summit again after a long gap. Best part for me was having a chat with Roy Jackson of 'Retford' fame. I also said a brief hello to Keith Parkin.

Only downside was the traffic on the way home as I encountered several jams en route. Still better than my trip to the same show some years back (by train) when high winds caused huge disruption and I ended up on a bus from Kettering to Luton.

Not long in the door after probably the best weekend I've had in most contexts for a long time. My brain is totally shot this evening, but I am so honoured to have been invited, and just as glad I accepted.

Only one thing still picks at my mind though: Who was the fairly tall shaven-headed bloke in the crowd by the layout on Saturday discussing that he knew me (prob. through RMWeb) but hadn't spoken to me? Whoever, say hello next time! Did I really look that bad on Saturday after very little sleep and many, many, many shaving cuts from those 75p-for-24 Lidl disposable "razors" ... eh, yes in retrospect I probably did!

The Potterbourne crew thoroughly enjoyed the show. I think I can say that all three of us found the layouts to be of a high standard. As to the traders i know one of our number tried to make up the deficit in a couple of traders takings.

What was good from my point was seeing so many layouts I have admired here in the flesh. and seeing that they were as good in real life as they are on the web.

Ah that! Not guilty m'Lord. Suddaby may or on the other hand may not have something to say about that.

Of course to crash a train, you first have to know how to move it ;)

Worthwhile a trip as ever for all sorts of reasons; nice to have a play with Jamie's 'Cully' again in the 1960s guise that we'd always intended to go back to one day, and good to put a smile on Gilbert's face. It was also pleasing to see a tribute to the late Tom Harland on 'Fencehouses', for his inspiration to NER modellers; a really nice and topical touch. As for the demos in the wee room, all I can say is 'cat's eyes' :sungum:

Well what a smashing show, and thanks to Ian and team for inviting us. We arrived on Saturday morning with Glenuig, and it was a bit disturbing to find all the exhibits up and working, still, The Glen is a quick layout to erect and we made the opening time with about 20 mins to spare. We quickly started a banter with the layout next door, Jamie and David on Culreoch, in fact, it was suggested that the two fiddle yards be connected to run a Glenuig -Culreoch service.

Mr Tatty was opposite, with what I consider was the layout of the show, and Ian Futers across the way.

Sorry to any of you I didn't recognise, I was the big long haired fella, and thanks all for the rattle.

Please read the Glenuig thread for the story of the seagulls, its good, and Jamie, do I post the picky of your guest operators?

Photos to follow.

Gary

We quickly started a banter with the layout next door, Jamie and David on Culreoch, in fact, it was suggested that the two fiddle yards be connected to run a Glenuig -Culreoch service....

Please read the Glenuig thread for the story of the seagulls, its good,

Oh god yes. Who'd have known the range of whitemetal gulls! There was only about 50mm between the fiddle yards - could easily have been done with only a bit of flexi. Shame that the video guy and our shared guest operator meant time wasn't there for the loco/stock swap timewarp effects late on Sunday this time.

and Jamie, do I post the picky of your guest operators?

Photos to follow.

Eep, there's a risk. How do I answer that - could be Saturday's pretty ones or Sunday's handsome chaps?

Would like a copy of the snap for the layout scrapbook btw - all my iPhone shots from the weekend are utterly cr@p. Whether the film ones come out I'll not know for a wee while - I can't even recall what shots/subjects I took with the film camera.

• RMweb Premium

Oh god yes. Who'd have known the range of whitemetal gulls! There was only about 50mm between the fiddle yards - could easily have been done with only a bit of flexi. Shame that the video guy and our shared guest operator meant time wasn't there for the loco/stock swap timewarp effects late on Sunday this time.

Eep, there's a risk. How do I answer that - could be Saturday's pretty ones or Sunday's handsome chaps?

Would like a copy of the snap for the layout scrapbook btw - all my iPhone shots from the weekend are utterly cr@p. Whether the film ones come out I'll not know for a wee while - I can't even recall what shots/subjects I took with the film camera.

The pretty ones (from Saturday) say "Hi". They enjoyed their session on your layout so much that they clean forgot poor old Dad wanting a break on Leighton Buzzard! They are happy for a photo to go on here as long as they can have a copy. Rachel is worried because when anybody presses a shutter button she usually blinks or frowns!

...they clean forgot poor old Dad wanting a break on Leighton Buzzard! ...

Sorry Tony, I blame that man Franks myself. But it was much appreciated as my brain cells had all switched off by that point (yep, folk even noticed) and operation had started to get a bit erratic to say the least.

Good to meet you too - took a while to put face to real name to RMWeb username.

The pretty ones (from Saturday) say "Hi". They enjoyed their session on your layout so much that they clean forgot poor old Dad wanting a break on Leighton Buzzard! They are happy for a photo to go on here as long as they can have a copy. Rachel is worried because when anybody presses a shutter button she usually blinks or frowns!

Here's the photo!

post-7480-0-69867900-1332270894_thumb.jpg

Guest Tom F

Thank you both!

I'm busy chewing on a wasp in the shot, if anyone's wondering.

Quick apology from me Jamie, I meant to pop over and say hello, but every time I went past you were busy or I got distracted.

I'm sure there will be a next time though! :)

... AND FINALLY (OR IS IT ?) !

A very big thank you

To everyone who visited our show last weeked.

To all who found the time to post on RM Web about our show.

To those who have posted such good pictures of our exhibits on RM Web.

And to those who have commented so favourably about the event.

THANK YOU !

Right, we're off to do it all again next year:

Sat 16 Mar & Sun 17 Mar 13

Archived