Howes DCC sound fitted model rail Sentinel

big jim

• RMweb Gold

got this from bryan just before christmas to get a video done, what with rmweb being down and the christmas rush ive only just got round to videoing it

this is the model rail ltd ed sentinel fitted with a lok-sound micro, the pictures i've already posted in the sentinal thread but i though id add it to the dcc sound section as i now have the video

basically bryan fitted the loco up to see if it could be done, which it can........

in bryans words...

The Sentinel Loksound Micro sound fit fit actually took me 10 minutes once I had chopped the 6 pin lead and wired it to an 8 pin one. I didnt have an 8 pin one to hand, ESU now do the micro with a 6 or 8 pin so that makes the fitting very easy.

All I had to do, was to cut back the plastic sleeving where the wires are joined to the decoder, this allows the decoder length to be a push fit along the back windows, The oblong speaker fitted nicely up against the front windows set in a bit of blacktak facing downwards and the 8 pin plug inserted into the socket.

I left the wires the full length to facilitate plugging the connector in , the wires can probably be hidden a little better but I was not interested in the cosmetic side only to see if the fit was possible.Sound gets out through the two open windows

I have done a semi generic sound based on what I have seen and heard on youtube, Howes heard it and They are happy to put it on the website. if it generates enough interest I will record the one at Quainton next year and do a pukker version

c89bd416.jpg

af5edb45.jpg

3d591ba5.jpg

and here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b7Xzyv6j5g

if there is sufficient interest shown that warrants I do a Pukka version later on I am more than happy to reblow any previously purchased generic version FOC. Obviously it goes without saying that Howes would have to charge for the return postage.

so there we have it, i've not heard the sentinal for real so can't really give my honest opinion on it but im sure there are plenty of users on here who can give a valid and honest assesment and of the sounds (for fine tuning!!)

• RMweb Gold

from what i understand the sound is some sort of chain drive noise that the loco makes constantly, im sure bryan can clarify what it is when he reads the thread, it is however definatly not the noise of the motor

amdaley: i dont think howes have put it on the site yet with christmas and that, if you phone them you can order one, i believe bryanis looking into the stay alive function, he certainly mentioned it to me yesterday at least, again i'll let him clarify things later today

amdaley: i dont think howes have put it on the site yet with christmas and that, if you phone them you can order one, i believe bryanis looking into the stay alive function, he certainly mentioned it to me yesterday at least, again i'll let him clarify things later today

Thanks Jim. Look forward to what he says.

• RMweb Gold

reply from bryan.....

I have not given Howes the info for them to put it on their website as yet, I was awaiting reaction to the video clip, I will email the details to them but dont expect anything to be put up till Tuesday when the world gets back to normal,

The decoder required is a Micro with 8 pin connector which they will order as soon as ESU restart in January, a 6 pin micro can be used but needs rewiring to fit the 8 pin socket as I did for the test. a reason for this is I met a chap at Warley who had gutted his and fitted a 21 pin in it!!, in doing so of course  he invalidated the warranty on the loco, what I have done avoids that problem. 

As for the sounds used  I tried to faithfully reproduce what I could hear, it is quite a unique sound to try and capture.  The whistle is pretty much spot on which is a good start. regarding the chain drive and the high speed chatter, on one clip on youtube it is going whilst the loco is stationary so I adopted the same idea, from what little info I have been given the loco has gearing which then engages the chain drive. I will only know the full story if I go and record it in 2012, a lot depends on the demand, any comments or advice from Sentinel buffs in the meantime will be welcome, as they say, "every little  helps".

As for the stay alive question, a feature I think this model may well need in view of its small wheelbase and only 4 pickups. I will pop in to Maplins this afternoon and get the components  as recommended by ESU, I will wire the them to a decoder over the holiday and construct a  test track made up of dead sections, dirty rails and various sizes of points,  will report results via Jim when done, I cant use the sentinel as it is 100 miles away so I will use an 08 as that is another loco that is often the cause of frustration,  the ESU stay alive pack looks to be  far too big for the small locos,  it appears to be almost as large as the micro. Howes did order some from ESU but they have not sent any  as yet.

I Hope that answers the questions. Happy new year to all.

Function key settings as at present

F1   Sound on off  

F2    Long whistle  

F3    Short whistle

F4    Coupling up 

F5    Buffer up 

F6    Injectors 

F7    Safety Valve 

F8    Injector 

F9    Shunting mode  ie  Half speed 

F10  Accel decel timing  override 

AFTER BRYAN SENT THE REPLY ABOVE HE PICKED UP THE BITS MENTIONED FOR THE STAY ALIVE..............

Well.... I got the components for the stay alive unit just to try it out. unfortunately the picture tells the story.  now I realise why the ESU package is so large

Even getting it into an 08 could be a struggle. I will do some tests with a decoder on a loco with the body off to see what the results are.

0814554e.jpg

Big Jim,

the ESU electrolytic capacitor storage method is identical to that used by Zimo for some years, so I would expect similar performance. In a tight space, you need to consult electronics catelogues from Farnell or Rapid or RS (not Maplin!) to find the optimal size/storage combinations. I think the "complete module" which ESU sell uses "gold caps", which offer considerably (100's of times) more storage of electricity than electrolytics, but need rather more care in wiring up; the Lenz Power-1 module uses a similar method.

With Zimo chips, as a general rule, 200uF gets you enough electrical storage to reduce the micro-scopic "stutter" which can be seen on a four wheeled loco run very slowly on apparently clean track. 1000uF+ will remove the stutter. But neither will get a loco to ride over "dead" track or filthy rails. Upwards of 4000uF will give you a few milimeters of movement over dead track. So this is not magic "ride without electricity stuff", but it is a substantial improvement in low speed smoothness.

Now, for optimal volume of capacitors, read the catelogues; you often find the same size "metal can" with different capacitance.

The first thing to note is that 16v rated electrolytics have more uF per unit volume than 25v rated electrolytics - it can be two to three times as much. To use 16v rated components, you need to **know** your track voltage. If **certain** that its below 16v, then the 16v rated units are fine. If not sure, or you might lend the loco out to someone (eg. a Bachmann EZ!), then fit 25v.

Your picture shows a 35v rated capacitor, which will be even less efficient at storage per volume than a 25v rated capacitor.

Second, one can fit any number of smaller capacitors wired in parallel and add up their capacitance; I have a tiny L&Y 0-4-0 with three 16v 470uF capacitors in it, giving 1410uF of storage.

The diode need only be rated at the max current draw of the decoder, which can be estimated as the max current draw of the motor plus a little for the sound amplifier. The resistor can be smaller by using metal film rather than carbon film components.

- Nigel

Thanks Jim & Nigel for posting the information.My track voltage is 14.2 so I would be interested in how big a 16volt cap would be. I have a DCC Concepts decoder with stay alive fitted in my Sentinel & its a squeeze because the only decoder I could get was one with a wiring harness. I could shorten the wires but i just wanted to see if it would work. I know what Nigel means by a stutter which i see on occasions. i must take a look to see what voltage the cap on the Dcc concepts decoder is ?

Tony,

I'd guess that DCC Concepts would fit at least 25v rated components. Otherwise they would run into problems with DCC systems set above 16v at the track - the last thing a commercial supplier needs is components exploding! The DCC specification allows track voltages over 20 volts.

Using Rapid as a supplier, they have 16v and 25v electrolytics, the key sizes / storage are:

6mm dia x 11mm long - 16v 220uF, 25v 100uF

8mm dia x 11mm long - 16v 470uF, 25v 220uF

10mm dia x 12mm long - ( ----------) , 25v 330uF

10mm dia x 17mm long - 16v 1000uF, 25v 470uF

10mm dia x 21mm long - (------------) , 25v 1000uF

12mm dia x 26mm long - (-----------) , 25v 2200uF

13mm dia x 21mm long - 16v 2200uF, (-----------)

16mm dia x 26mm long - 16v 4700uF, 25v 3300uF

16mm dia x 32mm long - (-----------) , 25v 4700uF

The rule is "squeeze as much as you can" into the loco. I've been fitting some sound decoders for someone, and they're getting up to 2200uF crammed into various places, often by fitting several wired in parallel.

- Nigel

I quite like the Sentinel sounds that Bryan has so far. I'll tell him so personally as well but I'd like to be on record as saying so here too.

Now, the Sentinel is of no use to me, unfortunately, but if Bryan does a Beattie Well Tank ... ;)

• RMweb Gold

another reply from bryan.....

The capacitor value of 2200uf at 35vw suggested by ESU I picked up at

Maplins for expediency in order to experiment with, it is 16mm x 26mm so yes

it is rather large but I was going with the electrical spec suggested not

the physical one, there are ways of getting the same or similar value by

using smaller values in parallel as Nigel says, it is a regular practice in

electronics where compactness is important, yep "Size does matter" As we

are always being told!!

These solutions however are not for the majority,most of whom are the RMWeb and other thread readers that don't post but who

read the regular postings of those who do for information and guidance, For

most, the ESU package will be the only thing they will consider buying, but

even fitting  that involves soldering 3 wires on to the decoder after

removing some of the plastic sleeving, if fitted, depending on the decoder,

a possible warranty issue there maybe!!! 

so it is not that simple, especially when you see the size of the 3 solder pads on the decoder!!. I am

sure that a smaller value capacitor with a minimum 25volt working voltage

would help matters considerably. I will experiment  and see what is

possible,

Hope that clarifies what I posted via Jim earlier.

Happy New Year

Bryan

Archived