Classes 71 and 74

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

I know I've asked about these locos before but I can't locate the answers I received! I also know that Adam has built a 74 from a DC Kits (?) model; has anyone else attempted to build either class from the three main sources: DC Kits; Golden Arrow or Silver Fox (Genesis as well)? I'm considering having a go at one or other of these EDs and would appreciate any help, photos and advice. I have considered buying a ready to run Silver Fox model and changing the wheel sets to P4 (I believe these use the Hornby class 86 chassis, for which Ultrascale produce a drop in wheel set). I would then super detail the bogies, etc, and add working third rail pick ups.

Many thanks

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon. I'm glad that you asked that question (as politicians have a habit of saying!) as I've got a Genesis whitemetal one to build, which does look a bit 'lumpen' but with effort I think that it could do the business, so I'll be watching this thread with much interest.

There is somebody on here who did a super model of a 71 on a workshop thread (may have been on an earlier incarnation of RMweb though). I saved the pictures of the finished article which I'll put up when the photo upload will allow it. I asked the very same question a while ago but the 'search function' isn't functioning ATM so I can't find it. When I last put the snaps up, the builder responded (can't remember who) so hopefully they'll do it again.

I have since bought the DC Kits version which looks. a lot better, although I haven't started building it yet.

I'm in a similar position with the DC Kits 71 - so it looks like we're all in this together!

Guest oldlugger

Thanks John, Baby Deltic and Rod for your replies; Rod what wheels do you plan to use on your 71 or are you using a ready made P4 Black Beetle unit(s)? The longest seems to be 40mm rather than the scale 42mm. I think the GA kit has the correct 42mm wheel base, using a DS10 type motor arrangement.

I did a DC Kits 71 a few years back - the link is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/285/entry-890-dc-kits-class-71-rescued-from-the-old-forum/ but the photos aren't currently working (I guess because they are on the old forum which is still down).

It was a straightforward build. I spent a fair bit of time adding extra detail to the bogies - steps, cabling etc which was definitely worthwhile.

My 74 is still awaiting building - I didn't like the cast resin bogie frames, so decided to replace them with scratchbuilt efforts, which then led me to decide to replace the underscale Black Beetle bogies. It's currently sitting in a box waiting it's turn to be built, along with a rather nice looking Hollywood Foundary mechanism kit.

I've not seen a Genesis 71 or 74. I have a box of wonky bits of whitemetal from them that purports to be a class 70, so perhaps best avoided. There were also MTK kits of both classes, which reapperared in the NNK range so it can't be *that* bad. Whether they will reappear from the new owners of NNK is another question.

Guest oldlugger

Cheers Pete. I'd forgotten about the MTK classes 71 and 74; the only photos I've seen of them didn't inspire me at all, as the front ends seem completely weird and the wrong shape (window aperture wise, etc).

Guest oldlugger

I think a Heljan Hymek chassis could form the basis for a class 74.

This is true Baby Deltic, and the wheels are nearly the correct diameter as well; the chassis is something like 6 to 8mm too short so would need cutting and extending.

Guest oldlugger

Does anyone know about the Silver Fox versions of the class? The ones on the Modelfair website look pretty good but basic. Obviously things like the front fairing under the buffer beams of the 71 would need scratch building; collector shoe beams added (71) and cable runs around the bogies. I would wire the pantograph (modified to the correct form) as well as adding working third rail pick ups because I am toying with adding something like this to SMH over part of the CEGB line:

http://www.flickr.co...N06/4884297831/

I'm not sure if the Hornby class 86 bogies have the correct wheelbase or if they are too short? This would be part of the decider for me. I wish I could find a good broadside view of one of the SF models to see if things line up.

Guest oldlugger

Here's an excellent broadside view of E5001 at Eastleigh:

http://www.martinbra...ighw-250395.jpg

Having studied a similar view of the DC kits 71, I would say that the front of cab roofs are not steeply inclined enough and have a slightly flatter look to them. Therefore, the SF model would have the same look (as it is a DC Kits body I believe). The best profile in this respect belongs to the Golden Arrow kit:

http://www.semgonline.com/model/ga71revmod.html

Rod what wheels do you plan to use on your 71

Simon

I actually bought some Gresley tender wheels from Ultrascale which were the closest in diameter and number of spokes. They're a bit fine though so I'll have to see how they look compared with spokeless wheels.

Secretly I'm hoping/expecting that there will be an RTR one in 2-3 years!

Guest oldlugger

Simon

I actually bought some Gresley tender wheels from Ultrascale which were the closest in diameter and number of spokes. They're a bit fine though so I'll have to see how they look compared with spokeless wheels.

Secretly I'm hoping/expecting that there will be an RTR one in 2-3 years!

It would be nice if there was a RTR version one day but I think the class 71 is even more obscure than the class 22 in the eyes of the MM's. Maybe Dapol might go for it one day or the equally interesting Bullied/Raworth class 70. The latter I'd like to scratch build in P4.

Archived