Mk2 coaches numbering and working patterns

ess1uk

According to Longworth 19 Mk2B FK coaches were renumbered to SKs from 1985 to 1986. Three were renumbered back within a year, nine had been withdrawn by the end of 1987, one withdrawn in July 1988, three withdrawn in 1989 and the final three withdrawn in 1990.

I would doubt that any of them ever received Provincial livery but I could be wrong.

• Informative/Useful 2

So Mk2B FKs were blue/grey and NSE only?

As far as I can confirm, yes.

Mk2a FK coaches 13445, 13451, 13453, 13463 and Mk2c FK coaches 13516, 13519, 13520, 13527 and 13532 were based at Heaton and received Provincial livery with Trans-Pennine branding.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Winter 1988 P5 book is the nearest I have, there are nine SK all allocated to general provincial sector at oxley and all blue/grey.

There are ten FK left, but these are either NSE WR or general pools, allocated to laira, old oak or Eastleigh. 3 are in NSE, the rest blue/grey

According to the 1993 P5 book there were 3x 2B TSOs in RR - 5453, 5463 and 5491 however the 1992 book has these in Provincial livery so without photos that's unreliable. I suspect the sources used by P5 had recoded all Prov liveried coaches to RR as the Prov code wasn't shown in the key for 1993, soooo that would be a no.

Confused? yeah me too :)

Edited by ChrisH-UK

According to the 1993 P5 book there were 3x 2B TSOs in RR - 5453, 5463 and 5491 however the 1992 book has these in Provincial livery so without photos that's unreliable. I suspect the sources used by P5 had recoded all Prov liveried coaches to RR as the Prov code wasn't shown in the key for 1993, soooo that would be a no.

Confused? yeah me too :)

Sorry what's the difference between Provincial livery and RR? Is Provincial the TransPennine livery?

Provincial is basically the blue and grey body with a cyan stripe: http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/photo/RA_156448_Carlisle_230897.jpg.  These units kept their "Sprinter" branding when Provincial became Regional Railways.

Regional Railways is a similar colour scheme but with three small stripes on the cab doors and "REGIONAL RAILWAYS" branding in a serif font: http://www.pacerpreservationsociety.co.uk/uploads/1/0/5/2/10525174/7018768_orig.jpg

And then, let's not forget Express, which was a light grey and dark grey body with a blue and cyan double-stripe on the side.  They carried "REGIONAL RAILWAYS" branding as per this picture - http://www.petersspares.com/images/_lib/Bachmann-31517dc-class-158-2-car-dmu-158732-regional-railways-dcc-on-board-9025232-0-1363719966000.jpg- but when first introduced, they had "EXPRESS" over the stripes under the second window from the cab.  Some units kept this livery into privatization but the "EXPRESS" branding was changed to Central Trains.

Then you had Regional Railways North-West which had a green stripe instead of a cyan stripe.  As far as I know, RR Transpennine was just Provincial/RR with "Trans-Pennine" branding instead.

That's to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah, that used to confuse me too.

Edited by GarrettTheThief

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the beginning of one of my questions is in here! I am looking for a Mk2B FK (or a declassified SK) in Regional Railways livery. Flood mentions some were transferred to Provincial. Did any make it into the RR livery?

Thanks!

bump away. :)

might get some more great photos posted. :locomotive:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just checked my records for 1991/2 and found 5491 used in a Manchester "Club Train" in October 91 and almost a year later in Sep 92. Can't find the book for 1990 but I didn't make too many visits to Manchester or Yorkshire. Hopefully someone else has a better sample to check.

If you really want to lift the look of Lima Mk2 stock, fit Bachmann B4's and reglaze them.

Replica also do a nice B4 bogie (and a B5). At £1.95 a pair without wheels it also works out a bit cheaper than the currently listed Bachmann B4 which is £11.95 with wheels.

• Like 2

Well I've got a few Bachmann Mk2 FKs that I bought on the cheap that will be lending their chassis, roof and probably their glazing as well. Can't believe bogies are £12! Managed to get a whole FK on clearance at a local model shop for £13!

Edited by sub39h
  • Like 2

Well I've got a few Bachmann Mk2 FKs that I bought on the cheap that will be lending their chassis, roof and probably their glazing as well. Can't believe bogies are £12! Managed to get a whole FK on clearance at a local model shop for £13!

I can beat that. When Bachmann were clearing out the original Mk2 TSOs, my local model shop was offering them at £10.99. As I bought 5 he let me have them for £50.

• Like 2

Lucky so-and-so! Up until the recent announcement of a new batch you couldn't even get one for £50! I did get some TSOs in 2013 for around £14 tho, which I was happy with. Don't think we'll ever see those sorts of prices again unfortunately!

Edited by sub39h
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It looks like the door handle and small hand grab are to the right of the furthermost passenger door, which would make it a mk2a.

The mk2b had the door hinge on the corner, so the handle would be on the left of the door

• Informative/Useful 1

Further to the above regarding InterCity Mk2 non-air cons, I came across the photo below:

http://www.hondawanderer.com/47475_Oxford_1991.htm

First coach is either a Mk2A or Mk2B BFK. (I can't see the door from the photo though presumably someone else with more knowledge of the Mk2s will be able to identify it.)

See my reply on the other post.

It is likely to be a 2a but there was also an air braked Mk2 in InterCity livery. It isn't a 2b as they had all been withdrawn by the time the photo was taken.

• Informative/Useful 1