Mk2 coaches numbering and working patterns

ess1uk

• RMweb Premium

which depot would W5261 and W5308 have been allocated to?

can't find my platform 5 book from the mid 1980's

1985 W5261 LA W5308 CW

1986 W5261 LA W5308 LL

1988 W5261 LA W5308 LL

john

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1985 W5261 LA W5308 CW

1986 W5261 LA W5308 LL

1988 W5261 LA W5308 LL

john

found my 1989 Platform 5 coaching stock book and I make

LA Laira

LL Edge Hill Liverpool

but it doesn't list CW

only ask about these 2 numbers as they are on the Kernow Mk2s with the Blue/Grey and NSE markings

in 1989 they are listed as:

5261 full NSE livery Solent and Sarum Sector NSSX at Laira

5308 full NSE livery Solent and Sarum Sector NSSX at Laira

Edited by ess1uk
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So in a formation of 3TSO TSOT 2BFK 3TSO, which end of the buffet would be next to the BFK?

Only guessing the buffet would be next to first class as that was split already by the brake compartments.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so when would mk2a BFK 14080 have been renumbered to 17080?

According to the Railway Observer it was in a batch four weeks ending 23 April 1983. They were all due to be done for the May timetable start but large numbers of coaches missed this cut off going by the observations and BR reports. Some Mk1 stock in particular were not renumbered until 1984.

Looking at the notes the first two Western Region BFKs were renumbered by the end of February 1983 but the last one wasn't reported until the December.

Edited by Flood
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So in a formation of 3TSO TSOT 2BFK 3TSO, which end of the buffet would be next to the BFK?

Only guessing the buffet would be next to first class as that was split already by the brake compartments.

I've never really thought about it before and looking at photos on flickr it appears to be completely random. Also the formation could be 3 TSO, TSOT, 2 BFK, 3 TSO or 3 TSO, 2 BFK, TSOT, 3 TSO with trains running in the same direction. Basically I don't think it was ever that important.

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

bump for this thread with a related question.

on a South Wales to Portsmouth service, what would be a typical rake of coaches?

would they be mk1 or mk2 around the mid 1980s?

cheers

On my travels on that route in the 1980s I only ever experienced Mk1s.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

You might find a mk2 'swinger'... but not often. mk1s were the order of the day... 5 coaches... 2 or 3 seconds (SKs or SOs) a BSK (or even BG) and CK normally lurked somewhere in the rake. On rare occasions perhaps a brake first might of provided the guards accommodation. I have seen a GUV in the formation occasionally too.

Griff

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

bump for this thread with a related question.

on a South Wales to Portsmouth service, what would be a typical rake of coaches?

would they be mk1 or mk2 around the mid 1980s?

cheers

I have quite a few photos on my Flickr thread from 1979-1985.

The trains were formed of 5 or 6 mk1s, though on a few pictures there is a single mk2 in the rake.

The only GUVs I photographed are in the Bristol - Weymouth trains which were usually 4 mk1s and a GUV,

cheers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The trains were formed of 5 or 6 mk1s, though on a few pictures there is a single mk2 in the rake.

The only GUVs I photographed are in the Bristol - Weymouth trains which were usually 4 mk1s and a GUV,

cheers

Come to think of it... I think I saw the GUV at Bradford on Avon so could have been on a Weymouth service.

Griff

• 6 months later...

cheers

Thanks

Great photos

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although they obviously didn’t predate NSE livery they appeared in great numbers on both mk1 (including MUs) and mk2 as an addition to Blue and Grey..... they were at the left hand end.

I’m currently looking for a picture of a mk1 bck in Blue and Grey.... I’ve seen a picture of one wearing NSE flashes at the head of a West of England service circa 1992.... would love to know it’s identity? I think it was a coach allocated to the Thames Valley at Old Oak but I’d love to know more.

Griff

• Informative/Useful 1