The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Merseyrail Route Learning

Debs.

Whilst 'late-awake'; trying to comfort my dogs following last night`s gunpowder-fueled fusillades. I came upon this interesting underground divertissement.

Sadly, no glimpses of the River Cabin or Adelphi St. `boxes.....but nice to see the underground sections as they are (now) with lighting.

http://youtu.be/MqQSrrXmrjk

*Somewhat 'slow-paced' video, but interesting and engaging non-the-less. :ok:

• RMweb Gold

So River Cabin was at the bottom of the Mersey, but where was Adelphi St and what was the significance?

Cheers

River Bed was at the bottom of the incline between Hamilton Square and James Street

Adelphi Street was between Hamilton Square and Birkenhead Park.

Both had closed by 1903, River Bed was removed when James Street was commissioned in 1977 and Adelphi Street has only recently (07/2011) been removed, both were break section boxes of 4 levers apiece.

River Bed was at the bottom of the incline between Hamilton Square and James Street

Adelphi Street was between Hamilton Square and Birkenhead Park.

Both had closed by 1903, River Bed was removed when James Street was commissioned in 1977 and Adelphi Street has only recently (07/2011) been removed, both were break section boxes of 4 levers apiece.

The Mersey Railway has always fascinated me: I was lucky enough to be able to visit the river tunnel sections during night-ballast workings in the early 70`s......River Cabin (then) was VERY dirty and it`s front face was near totally-obscured by extensive cable racks passing along the tunnel walls....the driver (my friend: Dennis) and I, crawled up through the cabin`s floor to have a look inside......Oh, how I wish I`d owned a camera back then!

• RMweb Gold

The cabin was called River Bed for all it's working life, probably abbreviated to River Cabin, I've got the lever numbering somewhere back in Merseyside,

Still hear from DF (assume you mean him) occasionally, StationMaster knows him too.

The cabin was called River Bed for all it's working life, probably abbreviated to River Cabin, I've got the lever numbering somewhere back in Merseyside,

Still hear from DF (assume you mean him) occasionally, StationMaster knows him too.

:good: I do indeed!......I`ve often wondered what became of him after he left Merseyside; a very knowledgeable driver and so-kind to me. :yes:

Archived