4-car Trains - Storage solutions

Hi,

I have several 4-car multiple units that need semi-permanent coupling to operate, The Hornby 4-VEP, Bachmann 4-CEP and Voyager. As they operate on a exhibition layout, I need to reguarly take them apart and put them back together as I have no storage suitable to take them fully coupled.

I would prefer to have a box which would take them fully coupled as I don't want to keep coupling and uncoupling them because it may cause damage

I have been looking storage boxes long enough to take them, but haven't found anything. I was wandering if anyone on here has found a solution or knows of one?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Just a thought but have you every thought about changing the couplings on the coaches ?? I close couple my coaching stock with a simple wire & wire hook method which works well & if it breaks its a easy repair. I am going to be making my own stock boxes this year sometime for everything on my Austwick layout. I'm planning on building a wooden case with wooden dividers wrapped in foam so nothing is scratched & it is held in the box securely.

Simon

Just a thought but have you every thought about changing the couplings on the coaches ?? I close couple my coaching stock with a simple wire & wire hook method which works well & if it breaks its a easy repair. I am going to be making my own stock boxes this year sometime for everything on my Austwick layout. I'm planning on building a wooden case with wooden dividers wrapped in foam so nothing is scratched & it is held in the box securely.

Simon

Hi Simon,

The problem with that is that the 4-VEP and 4-CEP use conductive couplings which provide lights and such as well as giving a good close coupling, niether of which do I want to lose. I could probably do it on the voyager though!

Simon

What about modifiying the coupling with a small jumper wire with small plug like a lot of Bachmann tender locos with dcc in the tender? that would work with a couple of evenings work to each unit. I am currently amassing stock for a future 1980's layout & my Bachmann 150 has this electric coupling which i am going to be doing away with. My trains have to be put away after a running session so it is basically the same as being a exhibition layout so it needs to be practical. If memory serves i think DCC supplies sell the little plug & sockets especially for this kind of thing.

Simon

You can get good sturdy rectangular ones too. I haven't got one to hand, but I'd agree, they should be about the right size.

That's what I had in mind. A quick google for "guitar case" throws up a wide range of possibilities, for example. Internal length varies, but most appear to be around 102-104cm, so may be marginal for longer stock. A bass guitar case at around 125cm might be better, for example.

Nick

How about the Train-Safe Travel and TraveLite boxes ?

They are available in various sizes - 30, 40, 50, 60 & 90 cm long; plus additional 120, 150 & 180 cm long versions are available in TraveLite only.

The Travel has integrated rails, so you can drive a train into the box; the TraveLite does without the powered rails.

I guess many here would probably consider these too expensive though?

Details here.

Have you looked at Snooker Cue cases ??

long and sturdy and might get one long enough for a 4 car ?

Or just follow the principle and make up a box your self from planed timber and ply sheeting with some over centre locking catches and a hanle to carry ..

HTH

Mike

Archived