Query rearding Hornby S&DJR Set 390

geoffers

One for Coachman and Graham Mus possibly - but I am curious about this. The above new coach set from Hornby has satisfied a lot of longing from us S&DJR fans - and lovely coaches they are too tkes me back to the early 60s behind a 2P or. a Standard 4 - lovely. The query I have is this. The coaches have small windows on one side and larger windows on the other. My Hornby set can only be connected in a way in which one brake coach and the centre coach has small or larger windows to one side but the other brake coach has the opposite. Should the brake coaches be "mirror images" so that the same size windows are on the same sides? Or not? I have visited some coach sites and looked at a lot of S&DJR pictures but none are definitive due to the 3/4 views of the photographs. I'm not bothered where they should be or not - it is an idle curiosity that's all. After all there are worse things in the world to be really bothered about. Thanks.

Geoffers

• RMweb Gold

Geoffers

The LSWR did build handed brake coaches so that the corridors always alternated down the length of the set. The Southern however did not follow this practice so in sets of odd number coaches the corridors (large window side) did not full alternate.

A quick rummage through some S&DJR photo books shows most of the 39x sets to be arranged exactly as the Hornby model (by "most", I mean that I haven't found photos of all of them yet). For example, a photo of 393 on a down train in 1952 shows the leading brake and central compo with their compartment sides towards the outer/platform/east side and the trailing brake with its corridor side.

Now all we need is a blood & custard version for early BR days...

Nick

Has anyone else that purchased this set noticed one of the BTKs does not have the set number on the outer end? The set number should be on the outer end of both brakes either side of the corridor connector. Perhaps I have a 3 coach set that has slipped through the quality control net.

Cheers....Morgan

Sorry, geoffers, I should have told you were it was. Yes, it's on pp82-3 of The Somerset & Dorset Railway 1935-1966. The narrower compartment side windows are quite clear on the rear van in this picture. The photo on p76, again 393, shows it even more clearly.

Nick

Edit: More photos in another Norman Lockett collection, The Somerset & Dorset in Colour, including one of 390 in green near Wellow in 1960 on p43.

Archived