Help with Atlas O scale lights

Ref44

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help please. Wishing to create an O scale shunting plank, I've acquired a second hand Atlas SW9. It came decoder fitted but without instructions.

The front headlight has been changed to a LED and resistor. The rear headlight and cab panel lights aren't connected. Looking at the panel lights I'm sure they are bulbs. Can anyone tell me what voltage they would be assuming them to be factory fitted originals. A web search failed to reveal an answer.

Any help would be much appreciated

Mike

Not sure, I'm afraid... the Atlas SW1200 I have came with the "TCSS" (or whatever it is) system which uses (as far as I know) Lionel 3-rail version of DCC despite being a 2-rail loco, so when I stripped all that out, I left the lights disconnected, and haven't got around to getting them back on - I only use 12v DC for O Scale at present, and it's been so long since I had the body off that I can't remember what the lights were; however, as the other Atlas locos I have are fitted with LEDs, are you sure the cab/rear lights are bulbs...? It seems strange to just replace one light in a loco.

I would try it out, but with an LED resistor in line first, rather than seeing if the lights blow with 12v!!! If they are LEDs, that might also help determine which wire is which, as well (i.e. cathode and anode...)

Unfortunately the Atlas O Scale Parts List doesn't include any Switcher model at the moment - they must have ceased production?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies. A test with a 1.5V battery revealed that the rear headlight had been blown. The factory fiited lights were bulbs. As a result I've had to take the cab apart which was fraught given the interior was glued in place. LEDs and resistors have been ordered.

Archived