Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

Guest Max Stafford

It would be a reckless and foolhardy man who netted against a K1 appearing in the next year or two.

Useful machine with GE, NE and some Scottish potential too.

Dave.

I still think Hornby were nuts doing an O1 instead of a K.

On the basis that the L1 "hasn't sold" I suspect :no: whereas the reality is a little different. No, Hornby made a good choice. They now have what amounts to a "collection" of sorts, with L1, B1 and O1 all being able to be purchased and run alongside each other. All share some components, no doubt, particularly when you examine the B1 and compare to the earlier L1. Then of course, there's the point that this adds a "heavy freight" locomotive to complement their mixed traffic and express engines from the same region. A similar thing is happening with the Grange, Castle, 28XX and now the heavy tanks, I suspect.

I think - personally - it was genius when you consider the reuse of the Thompson boiler, cab and the possibilities the tender, cylinders and valve gear give them. I would not be surprised to see a B2 or a K1 in the future on the basis of commonality of parts. I have pre-ordered a few O1s along with the Thompson coaches and a single B17 for good measure.

We - those with an LNER bias (admittedly particularly in certain areas) really have been spoiled by the major manufacturers in some regards, in the last decade or so. :)

It's horses fpr courses. For the area I model a K1 is no good, but I can justify as many K3's as my wallet will stand, yet folk modelling other areas will need lots of K1's. The 01 is welcomed as I love large freight locos (and can justify one based on geography) and it's another proper LNER design to add variety rather than loads of 04's.

Guest Max Stafford

The O1 is as much use to me as an ashtray on my bike, but it's a great looking model and being an LNER type, I'll find it hard to resist.

They know that sort of thing about me... :keeporder:

Dave.

Guest Tom F

I would have thought that Bachmann saw that a D11 and J11 would have far greater sales potential than yet another slight variation on the O4 theme. I still think Hornby were nuts doing an O1 instead of a K.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see a K1 in the next year or so.....Hornby must have almost all the parts for one now! :D

I would refer Mr Eagle to the quote in my signature ;)

Opinions are like backsides - everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks!

Bemused, Ian :huh: Isn't the whole gist of the thread based on the exchange of opinions?

I would refer Mr Eagle to the quote in my signature ;)

Absolutely nothing to do with opinions. It's laughable that just because a few people who want a model they think that everybody else must want it too. Rather opinionated dont you think? I have absolutely no interest on either an O1 or K1. Just simply because a K1 exists I do believe that more would sell than an O1. A large chunk of modelers don't even know what an O1 is. Look at opinion polls from the last few years and compare for a little assistance.

I do find it rather amusing that just because I reported on here what a local model shop had said about L1 sales, loads of people get hot under the collar about it. I would like to point out that the sales of various models is nothing to do with me. I don't have any control over them, so don't get upset with me about it.

Guest Belgian

We - those with an LNER bias (admittedly particularly in certain areas) really have been spoiled by the major manufacturers in some regards, in the last decade or so. :)

So true!

Archived