Cassettes?

Hello all, new to the forum, so not really sure if this is the right place to post this.

I've come across an issue whilst building a layout that I've recently started. I want some Cassettes but know very little on the subject, and wondered if there is anyone on this forum that could possibly help me with the subject. I've done a google search, and it came up with a website called B & R which make the Cassettes for you. But they are charging £39, for a 48" cassette.

What I wanted to know is;

Whats the best way to construct them?

How to go about it?

What materials to use?

And if there are any companies, other than the one I found which make them, in a Kit-form or Ready built.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Cameron

They are very easy to make.

Aluminium angle from such as B&Q. Piece of flat plywood/thin lath. Screw the angle to the wood. Couldn't be simpler.

MRJ27 or some of the books by Iain Rice give further details.

Cameron i made some cassette's for my layout they are simple to build, cheap & they work perfectly & i am no carpenter. My layout thread is here you can see how they have been made http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48553-austwick-ready-cassette-go/page__hl__austwick__fromsearch__1

Basically it is 9mm ply cut into strips your local timber yard can do this for you for a small fee so that all your edges are perfectly straight. They are screwed & glued & i made my own brass connectors from some materials the local model shop had. The timber i had cut for me when i bought the wood for the layout i just took a drawing of all the cuts i wanted from an 8x4 sheet to the timber merchants.

HTH

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Cameron

Do not buy your Aluminium angle from B & Q its the biggest rip off going. Look out your nearest Aluminium stockist (good old interweb will sort that out) and buy the angle from them. It normally comes in 17ft lengths so you will need to take a hacksaw with you, or they may cut it for you.

The basic cassette is two pieces of angle (use 20 x 20 x 1.6 or similar for 4 mm scale, OO gauge, you can get away with 16,15 or in my case 12 mm in EM or P4) screwed to the base which can be anything from plastic through MDF to Plywood, I normally use either 6mm MDF or Plywood. The personal bit comes in the how to join them, there is no one best solution and the Masokits etches are a good solution. Do some research on here and at shows to see what suits you best. The cassettes for my latest layout are shown in this link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16217-brighton-east-em-third-rail/page__st__50

Hope this helps

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Just a note: make sure you use raw aluminum (which has a shiny finish) and not anodised (which has a dull matt finish) as the treatment reduces the conductivity of the aluminium.

Archived