Fringe between MAS and AB semaphore signalling

What is the sequence of signals when going from a 4A-MAS to semaphore AB areas?

Is it

-> YGYR - GYR - GR - - SD - SH - SS ->

<- YGYR - GYR - GY - - SS - SH - SD <-

or is it something else?

If it helps, the area I've got in mind is the stretch of line between Nottingham Midland and Netherfield Junct.

Edit Actually Netherfield Junct & Rectory Junct are 2A colour light signalled, exactly where does the change to semaphore occur?

• RMweb Gold

In some respects it depends on how long the fringe is expected to last. The only hard and fast rule, long established, is that you can't have a green aspect in an MAS signal reading towards a stop indication in a semaphore signal. The MA signal has to be capable of showing a yellow aspect (with sufficient braking distance) if it reads directly to a semaphore stop signal but it is quite ok to have a green reading to a distant signal of course (again with proviso about braking distance).

In some older cases, especially where fringes were regarded as 'permanent' when the MAS scheme went in you might well find a reduction from 4 to 3 to a final 2 aspect signal (R/G) then the next signal will be a semaphore distant. And there have been instances of using a suppressed yellow aspect in the final 4 aspect signal if it leads to a semaphore distant (i.e. the signal can show R, YY or G but not a single yellow).

Living nearby I ought to know this for certain, but I think you'll probably find the last Trent signal is a red/green and the next is a yellow/green for the Netherfield distant. I'm sure Rectory Junction still has semaphore stop signals (certainly some in the recent diagram fragment shown here) but I doubt there are any semaphore distants left on that route.

• 3 months later...

at philps park jn no 1 they had a three aspect colour light distant half way up the post of the semaphore home signal which was unlit untill the semaphore was cleared this was the distant for miles platting jns colour light starting signals on the end of the station platform there was a three aspect colour light starting signal in between which could route to either miles platting or brewery sidings , these were short sections

post-702-0-59295300-1334770960_thumb.jpg

at philps park jn no 1 they had a three aspect colour light distant half way up the post of the semaphore home signal which was unlit untill the semaphore was cleared this was the distant for miles platting jns colour light starting signals on the end of the station platform there was a three aspect colour light starting signal in between which could route to either miles platting or brewery sidings , these were short sections

There were once a few similar signals in the Hull Area. The semaphore arm had the Green aspect blanked out, and as you say the MAS was "Dark" until the upper arm cleared. There are still a few about, but I believe now not permitted for new work.

Typical example above, not one of the Hull signals. Mick Nicholson.

Thanks for your replies. Since posting, thanks to Natalie I've been given a link to http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/archivesignals/brmr/1969-2810g.pdf, which is the diagram for the Trent PSB 1969 resignalling. This clearly shows the signals at the fringes, as well as much more useful and interesting information. Thanks again to all.

Archived