The Book of the BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0s

Bob Reid

• RMweb Premium

208 pages entirely devoted to the BR built BR Standard Class 5s and without a doubt for a student of the work of Riddles & Co. a good - albeit expensive buy (£27.95). As with all the Irwell Press publications, the (b/w) images are generally crystal clear and numerous throughout the book. Great if you want to detail your model of the Class 5s to the nth degree and covers the more unusual variants like the air braked versions and Caprotti 5s - which is mainly why I bought it. The first forty pages cover some of the history of the development of the loco's (illustrated) and there use however the bulk - from page 40 onwards, covers the service/works history of each locomotive, many of which have individual photographs. Certainly a good expansion of the information contained in The Books of the BR Standards (1 & 2) only perhaps lacking for the modeller some detailed engineering drawings.

..... Certainly a good expansion of the information contained in The Books of the BR Standards (1 & 2) only perhaps lacking for the modeller some detailed engineering drawings.

Engineering drawings of the Std.5 and others are included in Edward Talbot's book on the BR Standard Locomotives, Volume 1.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Horsetan. I've only the later single volume edition. Does volume 1 contain more specific drawing of the Class 5s? (as opposed to the not so great general arrangement drawing in the later edition).

Many thanks Horsetan. I've only the later single volume edition. Does volume 1 contain more specific drawing of the Class 5s? (as opposed to the not so great general arrangement drawing in the later edition).

In my copy of Vol.1, there is a pretty clear GA elevation and plan, labelled as "Plate 55" in the book.

Vol.2 was only intended as an addendum, plus information on the WD 2-8-0, 2-10-0 and S160 2-8-0

Archived