Chicago on Shorpy

shortliner

Very interesting as usual.

Walkway looks cool....

Also what are those two locos doing in the middle of the trackwork? I hope that there is a turnout hidden under the closer one. Btw the switches do NOT appear to be loose heeled at this time. Is that a Double Slip too?

Best, Pete.

The large car is a carriage or furniture car, They were in the 40-50 ft range. Also note it sits lower on the trucks to reduce the overall height. While the car lengths may look "unusual" to you they are entirely common for the era. The vast majority of the cars in the picture are 34-36 ft cars, probably way more 34 ft cars than 36's. I do see a few 28-30 ft cars, which would have been the norm a decade or two earlier, but are now (1901) wearing out and being replaced by 34 or 36 ft cars.

#1508 is indeed heading through a crossover, you can just see it beyond the engine. and if you look closely you will note the engine is cocked slightly to the right as it enters the switch. You can tell its a switch engine because of the large backup light mounted on the roof of the cab.

Not sure what you mean by "heeled" but they appear to be conventional switches and there does appear to be two double slip switches in the 4th track from the left..

Other stuff:

• the banjo signal at the end of the platform
  • the platform light posts have two different types of lights in them
  • cool eyebrow shaped platform canopy
  • only two boxcars with left opening doors are from eastern roads (B&O and NYC&HR)
  • the "bridge to nowhere" was a big political deal in the last presidential election, appears there are 3 of them in this picture
  • switch targets appear to be yellow and red
  • amazing amout of smoke and steam acros the horizon of the whole picture
  • note the elevators labeled A and B in the background

While I love digital photography, you can't beat a 8x10 glass negative for detail.

The bridges to nowhere look like passenger ferry connections - but the exposed pilings make it look like they are in disuse. I'm only guessing.....whatever they are great vantage points!

Interesting comments. The slender tower is part of Montgomery Ward - heck my Mum used to get their catalogues in England in the 50's and 60's - it apparently is still standing, minus the pointy bit at the top....

Best, Pete.

That is a heated/ventilated car.

There are also two of the inside stake gons like Westerfield sells/sold/will be selling.

I also noted more left opening doors on IC cars and several with plug doors, probably made by St. Charles Car Co.

The bridges to nowhere look like passenger ferry connections - but the exposed pilings make it look like they are in disuse. I'm only guessing.....whatever they are great vantage points!

And right you are Pete.

Here is an illustration (looking south instead of north) by Rand McNally in 1893, Michigan Avenue being the street on the left of the photograph. While the skyline has changed it's amazing how many of those buildings are still there - including of course the Art Institute to the right of Michigan Avenue in the picture, and the statue of Senator (and General) John Logan, (east of Michigan Ave at about 9th).

Here's a view from the north. (It's a bit tedious to navigate.) I presume this was taken from the vicinity east of what was Randolph Street Station - now the area bounded by Lake Shore Dr., Wacker Dr and Randolph St. There's a later map of the loop with a focus on railroad lines here.

This map of the fire of 1871 still shows the Illinois Central on its causeway. Grant Park (the area between the Illinois Central and Michigan Avenue is all landfill from the fire. All the buildings visible in the Shorpy picture date from after the fire.

Here's a shot of the station closer to the Art Institute (Van Buren St.) in 1907.

The Shorpy picture is a great find - thanks!

On the left side of the yard is another of those big furniture cars, you can even read "Furniture" written on the side.

Evidently Chicago has been on a steady march out into Lake Michigan, filling in the land under the railroad and then the land on the east of the railroad tracks was filled in and became Grant Park and theose bridges ended up being bridges into the park.

Archived