Bristol O Gauge Show 22nd January 2012

two tone green

• RMweb Gold

'Cherry Orchard' had at least 4 different operational areas, but I stood at the of the layout looking down the whole length, and there was no movement at all.

I had the same experience with Cherry Orchard at Warley - nothing moving. I did see some activity on the narrow gauge part today but little sign of activity elsewhere for what it is a very large layout and ought to have scope for lots of things to be happening at once.

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the show but do agree about the activity on some of the layouts. Having said that it has more the feel of a convention than a public show (not unlike the NMRA and some of the other speciallist scale shows) where the layouts are often just a focus for the conversations, advice seeking/giving and reunions that are typical of such an event and where operation is a little more relaxed.

However there were many good aspects to the show

• I've never sat chatting and drinking coffee in a comfortable warm restaurant area waiting for a show to open before - and when it does the show opens by the partition wall moving past you so you're in the show without getting out of your seat!
  • Excellent speciallist trade and good advice available with good humour almost universally -and I completed my shopping list
  • The same good humour from the demonstrators who must tolerate so much rubbish from learners like me.
  • Carpet - briliant - 'nuff said
  • Acceptable catering with short queues
  • Clean "facilities" - this is not always a given I'm afraid

bring on next year

Chris

• RMweb Gold

• I've never sat chatting and drinking coffee in a comfortable warm restaurant area waiting for a show to open before - and when it does the show opens by the partition wall moving past you so you're in the show without getting out of your seat!
  • Excellent speciallist trade and good advice available with good humour almost universally -and I completed my shopping list
  • The same good humour from the demonstrators who must tolerate so much rubbish from learners like me.
  • Carpet - briliant - 'nuff said
  • Acceptable catering with short queues
  • Clean "facilities" - this is not always a given I'm afraid

bring on next year

Chris

Yes, it's by far the most pleasant exhibition to spend a few hours in, of my experience - and you're right about the "facilities".

• RMweb Premium

Great show - Loved it! Managed to get all my 'wants' off my shopping list and have a good time. Though having operated and helped out at Leamington on Saturday too, I'm absolutely shattered today!

Good to see TTG, David Siddall and Warspite at the impromptu meet (TTG hollered at me as I was browsing nearby).

Even though I remembered to take my camera, I took one photo - of our Sodbury Vale MRC stand with a board of our embryonic layout 'Somerset Lane' (well, I think that is what we are going to call it - bit a play on Devons Road). Its first real show is not until Thornbury in November 2012.

post-7686-0-69850700-1327324626.jpg

Already looking forward to next years BOGG show!

• RMweb Premium

Oooh ... that's helpful...if I can persuade her to celebrate her birthday at the end rather than the start of the week it's in the middle of I can go to Bristol :)

Promise her a days shopping at Cribbs Causeway with no disturbances - Simples!

Archived