Fay's Workshop - S7 Stock Building for the Widened Lines

My layout thread http://www.rmweb.co....-widened-lines/ has been embarrassingly quiet due to me being pre-occupied with, amongst other things, work and our groups S7 layout. The layout is still in the design stage primarily due to a very kind rmwebber supplying me with a copy of a 20' to the inch civil engineering plan showing the track layout and platform alterations carried out as part of the 1926 re-modelling and re-signalling scheme. This 20 foot plan has formed the basis of a fresh Templotting exercise.

The other challenge I have is building all my rolling stock which is something I have never done before. I have built a couple of Slaters and Parkside wagon kits but have never built a loco kit or scratchbuilt something so these expolits are very much the start of a voyage of discovery.

I started an N2 as my first loco kit building attempt but although it looked quite basic with a few bags of white metal castings and 4 brass etches (and therefore appeared quite easy). The instructions were quite poor and I soon came to a halt. I subsequently found a review of the kit in the Gauge O Guild Gazette which did not recommend the kit as first time attempt. I therefore decided to pack the kit away for a later day and try something else.

Metropolitan-Vickers. Bo-Bo (Part 1)

The kit is produced by Ken's Profiles and I brought 2 of these kits at Guildex in September 2011. Very briefly the box contains some very high quality brass etches, numerous white metal and lost wax castings, and comprehensive instructions.

post-6371-0-46595200-1325958527_thumb.jpg

Comprehensive and clear instructions come with the kit.

post-6371-0-23737600-1325958559_thumb.jpg

A selection of component parts with each bag individually labelled so you can check against the parts list that comes with the instructions.

I have a copy of Metropolitan Electric Locomotives by K.R. Benest which I have found to be a valuable source of info into the various differences between the 20 locomotives that were built for the Metropolitan Railway. After some consideration I decided that my first Bo-Bo will be No4 "Lord Byron".

post-6371-0-46373100-1325958676_thumb.jpg

The instructions give an easy to follow building sequence. This starts with cutting out the footplate from the etch, embossing 222 rivets :this: and soldering the solebars. Here we have one of solebars secured ready for soldering. The letters A and D are critical to correctly building the kit and the instructions go to great lengths to ensure you mark up the components correctly. You can have twin power bogies on the model but, as a first timer, I will stick with one power bogie so there is no need to cut out the opening adjacent to the letter A.

post-6371-0-00408500-1325958696_thumb.jpg

Completed footplate with solebars and buffer beams.

post-6371-0-87861600-1325958720_thumb.jpg

The cab ends come pre-formed and this shows the quality that has gone in to the kit.

post-6371-0-00592000-1325958741_thumb.jpg.

Progress to date with the 2 single and 2 double doors soldered up with drop lights, and the window frames and drop lights soldered to the body sides.

Next it's putting the body together.

Emma

Pleased to see that you have returned to this fold wth news of your modelling.

Seems that the Met prototype is a popular choice in 7mm, I collected one of those kits at Telford for a friend and another S7 modeller.

regards, Graham Beare

Pleased to see that you have returned to this fold wth news of your modelling.

Seems that the Met prototype is a popular choice in 7mm, I collected one of those kits at Telford for a friend and another S7 modeller.

regards, Graham Beare

Hi Graham,

Although work on Ellerton Road has been fun, it is very pleasing to actually do some modelling of my own. I had to reserve my 2 kits in advance of Telford as Ken DeGroome advised me that his first production run was selling out rapidly such was the popularity of the MV Bo-Bo.

Anyway some more progress has been carried out on the construction of Lord Byron...

Metropolitan-Vickers. Bo-Bo (Part 2)

post-6371-0-62398700-1326055248_thumb.jpg

Although roughly pre-formed. The cab ends required the fitting of the window frame spacers and droplights. The cab ends are marked up A and D to correspond with the correct end on the footplate.

post-6371-0-93438700-1326055270_thumb.jpg

The first stage of the trial fitting of the body.

post-6371-0-30665100-1326055282_thumb.jpg

The temporary roof template is placed in position. Once the cab ends have been adjusted to close up all the gaps and make a snug fit the template will be temporarily tacked in position to hold it while the body sides are adjusted. The destination board brackets have also been fitted to the cabs.

post-6371-0-86192900-1326055296_thumb.jpg

The doors are still to be fitted.

post-6371-0-40571500-1326055310_thumb.jpg

The final roof is placed in position to give some idea of what the finished loco will look like.

Next job is start adjusting the cabs and body sides proper.

To be continued....

That's looking fantastic Emma. The MV is too late for Basilica (someone did once try to convince me to set things a little later, but I resisted!) but I have to say I'm tempted to get one of these to run during an 'anything goes' session.

Ken is a superb designer and really thinks through all the hard stuff for you. His input into the Jubilee carriages artwork drawn for me by John Birch (and which eventually ended up in Ken's range) was invaluable.

Therefore I'm assuming the loco isn't turning out to be mad, bad and dangerous to know ;)

.... mad, bad and dangerous to know ;)

I thought that this thread was about building a truck or three for an alternative approach to Ellerton Road - just how does anyone keep up with the artistic and literary references in your prose? I guess that the answer is "Wanted - Dead or Alive".... possibly.

Nice work on the Met Vic.... with sound?

regards, Graham

Ken is a superb designer and really thinks through all the hard stuff for you. His input into the Jubilee carriages artwork drawn for me by John Birch (and which eventually ended up in Ken's range) was invaluable.

Therefore I'm assuming the loco isn't turning out to be mad, bad and dangerous to know ;)

It looks as though a lot of effort has gone in to the kit and the instructions are very clear and detailed. This is my first etched brass kit so I am learning and refining my soldering techniques as I go along. I will most likely build the other kit slightly differently.

The body work will need quite a bit of adjusting but it will give me something to do while I sort out the wheelsets. I don't think the supplied wheelsets can be re-profiled as well as packing the axles out to give the 31.2mm back to back so an order is going in to Slaters for some wheels and replacement axles. The wheels will then go off to CM for re-profiling.

Nice work on the Met Vic.... with sound?

regards, Graham

I plan to go down the DCC route for the layout. As for sound, should be interesting. Plenty of room in the body for a sound decoder..

It looks as though a lot of effort has gone in to the kit and the instructions are very clear and detailed. This is my first etched brass kit so I am learning and refining my soldering techniques as I go along. I will most likely build the other kit slightly differently.

I plan to go down the DCC route for the layout. As for sound, should be interesting. Plenty of room in the body for a sound decoder..

Hi,

It looks an interesting kit there, completely outside of my area of interest but seriously tempting in a strange compelling way. It's one of those I'd think about getting just because it's something different. Very interested to see how you get on with it.

• RMweb Gold

My recollection is that there was quite a lot of space in the prototype body, too. ISTR being "shown round" one at Baker Street in about 1961, when there were still a few about. I think there was a slatted floor, and the electrical gubbins (technical term) sat in the middle, with plenty of space to walk around. A most attractive prototype, which should yield a similar model. I hope your efforts prove rewarding.

• 6 months later...

Fascinating model.

From my memory of the preserved engine in the old LT museum at Covent Garden, you can look into one windscreen, all the way through the "engine room" and out the other cab windscreen.

• 6 months later...

And there was of course an even more ancient electric locomotive plinthed on the platform end,  right by the buffers, But that was a few years ago,  with the platforms open to the sky then, I must be talking about the 1950s or thereabouts.  It was rusty, and all the window glass had gone with the bomb that did so much damage to the station during WW2.   I think its now also in the LT museum.  An original

city and south london loco, now the Northern Line City branch.  Nobody gave it a glance as I recall.

• RMweb Premium

And there was of course an even more ancient electric locomotive plinthed on the platform end,  right by the buffers, But that was a few years ago,  with the platforms open to the sky then, I must be talking about the 1950s or thereabouts.  It was rusty, and all the window glass had gone with the bomb that did so much damage to the station during WW2.   I think its now also in the LT museum.  An original

city and south london loco, now the Northern Line City branch.  Nobody gave it a glance as I recall.

The one plinthed on the platform end was scrapped. The one in the LT museum IIRC was in the Science museum. When they did scrap it the motors and electrical equipment went to Compton Parkinson the original makers.

EDIT the window glass was not missing, they never had any.

• 1 month later...

Metropolitan-Vickers. Bo-Bo (Part 3)

How time flies and it's hard to believe that I started the construction of Lord Byron over a year ago. However, progress with the motor bogies for the saloon stock project has prompted a restart on construction with the Met Bo-Bo.

The instructions were correct when they said that the fitting of the roof was the most difficult part of the kit build. Things weren't helped by me not fully following the recommended building sequence with the result that I have a few gaps between the roof and body that will need filling. Nothing insurmountable but a lesson learnt for the other Bo-Bo kit I have sitting in the cupboard.

Here we have the substantially complete body. It's a bit grubby and will need a good cleaning when finished before I have a go at painting. Behind is the, again substantially complete, underframe fiitted with its bogies. The bogies are virtually identical to those used on the saloon stock project except for the wheelbase size.

post-6371-0-12911300-1363737399_thumb.jpg

Finally progress so far with the loco setup to gauge the ride height before starting work on all the detail components. For height comparison the loco is posed in front of the saloon stock motor car.

post-6371-0-52205800-1363737407_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi Emma,

I'm particularly interested in this build because I did a scratch built 00 version in card with a balsa roof a couple of years ago. (see the link below) I remember having trouble with the roof alignment too, largely due to the elongated octagonal shape of the body, I cheated slightly by adding cab back bulkheads to brace it, which I'm sure wasn't prototypical,

Roly

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1250/entry-12114-my-metro-vick/

• 3 months later...

Emma

Ken de Groome and I got had a grand day out on the footplate of Sarah Siddons a couple of years ago. The full itinerary was Ruislip depot - Uxbridge Line - Neasden depot - Amersham - Harrow-on-the-Hill - Amersham - Harrow - Rusilip depot. I took a digital recorder and have a stack of sound clips that could make a sound project for the Bo-Bo and if anyone has had some experience of putting a project together for a Loksound decoder, I would be happy to hear from them. The sound as the old girl ground her way up the gradient up the flyunder coming out of Neasden depot into Wembley Park station dragging a 4TC set and 2 dead Class 20s was especially memorable.

Cheers

John

Emma

Ken de Groome and I got had a grand day out on the footplate of Sarah Siddons a couple of years ago. The full itinerary was Ruislip depot - Uxbridge Line - Neasden depot - Amersham - Harrow-on-the-Hill - Amersham - Harrow - Rusilip depot. I took a digital recorder and have a stack of sound clips that could make a sound project for the Bo-Bo and if anyone has had some experience of putting a project together for a Loksound decoder, I would be happy to hear from them. The sound as the old girl ground her way up the gradient up the flyunder coming out of Neasden depot into Wembley Park station dragging a 4TC set and 2 dead Class 20s was especially memorable.

Cheers

John

Many thanks John,

Must get round to taking some more photographs as progress has been made on the kit with loco looking a lot more complete.

Archived