RMweb

UK rail freight in the 1970's

cromptonnut

Can anyone point me to some good pictures - in colour preferably - of box vans in brown livery? I'd like to see what sort of wagons - including the old style standard 12 ton vans - were still around in the mid to late 70's before red and grey took over.

Thanks.

of box vans in brown livery?... I'd like to see what sort of wagons - including the old style standard 12 ton vans - were still around in the mid to late 70's

Thanks.

Paul Bartlett's site is always a good start, this the BR vans section http://paulbartlett.....com/brcovmerch

You wont better Paul's site for quantity, online or in print.

Trying to read between the lines of the OP query (is it open wagons or vans?), by the mid '70s the only vans that would have remained in revenue traffic in any numbers were of BR design - the common or garden 12 tonner in its various varieties, Vanwides and a few Shocvans and pallet vans

Paul Bartlett's site is always a good start, this the BR vans section http://paulbartlett.....com/brcovmerch

A good start for individual wagons thanks - but is there anything showing more wider views of actual formations?

Trying to read between the lines of the OP query (is it open wagons or vans?), by the mid '70s the only vans that would have remained in revenue traffic in any numbers were of BR design - the common or garden 12 tonner in its various varieties, Vanwides and a few Shocvans and pallet vans

Box vans. Specifically, I have a part built O gauge Slaters 7063 "BR 12 ton standard van" which appears planked with plywood doors, and I don't know whether I can get away with using it in my time period :) I don't think any made it to red/grey livery unless someone can prove me wrong?

Box vans. Specifically, I have a part built O gauge Slaters 7063 "BR 12 ton standard van" which appears planked with plywood doors, and I don't know whether I can get away with using it in my time period :) I don't think any made it to red/grey livery unless someone can prove me wrong?

As already pointed to http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvanplywooddoorvvv No, you won't find red/grey livery.

Paul Bartlett

... "BR 12 ton standard van" which appears planked with plywood doors, and I don't know whether I can get away with using it in my time period :) I don't think any made it to red/grey livery unless someone can prove me wrong?

It might have been quicker to ask the specific question.

The van itself is fine up to 1982, but red/grey was only applicable to air braked stock.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a rake at Barnstaple. Don't know actual date but I guess late 1970s / early 80s. I think they're all BR standard vans but some variety between them - 2 plywood, 2 planked, 1 planked with plywood doors, 1 furthest right plywood vanwide? What's interesting to me is that only 1 has the boxed in TOPS style panel with codes, number etc - all the rest just have the TOPS code painted "somewhere near" the number, or no code at all...

This website is full of photos from Dave Vinsen who is a member on here - "Eggesford box".

What's interesting to me is that only 1 has the boxed in TOPS style panel with codes, number etc - all the rest just have the TOPS code painted "somewhere near" the number, or no code at all...

It's not easy to say for definite, but I'd reckon some of them have had the later style of lettering applied even if it's not actually boxed in. The one immediately to the left of the Vanwide looks to have its '12T' and tare weight applied in a single line box over the running number - that was a not uncommon variation from the time that metric tares were adopted.

• RMweb Gold

Good point Ian. What I was getting at was there's little continuity of appearance. Until I saw this image I was trying to figure the best combination of Bachmann Vanwides Vanfits to suit a 1980s layout, thinking I'd need to get some TOPS panels somehow; now I think I can just buy a string of any combination & add the VVV codes to the non-TOPS versions!

EDIT - meant Vanfits - Bachmann don't do vanwides (yet....!)

• 2 years later...

Archived