Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Basic entry level system

hayfield

I am an old DC dinosaur, and am thinking of getting a simple basic entry level set up.

I want nothing grand, it would be for a small shelf type layout. At this point no sound or extra facilities wanted. Want to fit chips into a few old Whitemetal kit locos.

I have gone back 3 pages and also tried searching the topic to no avail, must be using the wrong wording. Thanks in advance.

John,

For a DCC novice, it's a good an obvious question to which one should be able to expect a reasonable answer. However, I think you need to be aware that "entry-level" is just that. Ask yourself 'Would I be happy with settrack?' because entry-level DCC is a bit like that. Don't be surprised if many of the answers you get say avoid the entry-level stuff...

Nick

Hi

If you really want a basic cheap no frills DCC controller then you can opt for the Bachmann EZ Command or the Hornby Select.

Moving up the price ladder comes the Bachmann Dynamis.

But as per the previous warning the two basic ones are exactly that.

I suggest you venture further back than 3 pages. There are literally dozens of threads posting the same question and the answer is invariably the same. It depends what yu want to do and the best way to find out which is best for YOU is to try the different types if you can. Most of the makes are in use at shows and quite often they are beibng sold there by some of the main players.

If you go to the DCC questions area and type in 'Basic DCC system' you will find much to read and then you may wish to come back and ask further questions. Once you have done that and you wish to ask something a little more specific I would suggest you start another thread. As this has been discussed so often before and the answers are there with a search I see no point in members repeating it all once more. So this may as well be closed.

Archived