THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2020 at 16:37, pwr said:

Any thoughts on their Bogie Bolster E.  The initial images seem a bit plasticky and toy like if you understand my meaning.

They all do until weathered - their bauxite is a fairly lurid orangy shade but tones down fine.

Another plus in Dapols favour is the running. I'm happy to build and paint kits to a decent standard visually but to get them running as well means compensation or springing which also adds to the kit cost, unless you do it from scratch.

• Agree 1

Hi Hal.

I have to agree about Dapols free rolling ability. I have been very happy with the ones that I have purchased over the last couple of years or so and they do look superb when weathered. When you consider the cost of kits these days (nearly as much as Dapols RTR ones) I ask myself is it worth buying kits when such models are available off the shelf. Unless of course you require a wagon that is not available RTR.  Not only Dapol but Minerva too do a nice range of wagons which is increasing year on year. We are getting spoiled, me thinks.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Rod,

I do agree, to an extent.  

I was chatting with David LO Smith on t’other channel about 14/48xx locos.  We had both built Springside kits in the mists of summers past, and we’re discussing the necessary modifications to make them run well.  He said “if I built another I’d do...” and I said “if I wanted another I’d buy a Dapol”.  

but on the other hand, I had sold my remaining 16mm locos, and had the money for a Lionheart 43xx (about 1800 quid iirc) burning a hole in my pocket, but simply couldn’t bring myself to spend so much.  In the end I bought kits for a Javelin Dukedog, and a Warren Shepherd 43xx, the former has graced these pages, the latter is in the stash to be built.  I had change from two kits, wheels, motors & decoders.

and I’ll enjoy doing it, when the mood takes me, along with the other stock I have to build.  And in general, I do enjoy the kit building experience,   But it’s much less easy to spend more on a kit than a good RTR would cost!

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to say these Dapol wagons are the bees knees but like others I also like building kits.

I don't find compensation is necessary as long as they are built square, I always build the chassis on a sheet of plate glass

Paul R

I have no problem with people who like the experience of building kits and indeed admire those who find enjoyment in there construction. However my eyesight does not allow me this luxury but I know that if I could see properly I probably would get a considerable amount of pleasure from their construction. The big thing about kit building or scratch building is that you can do it as you desire the finished result to be. You can include all sorts of things into the finished model thus making your efforts and models unique and to suit your requirements. Lovely stuff, I just wish I could see to do just that. However I am very happy with the RTR stock that I have purchased over the time it has taken to build Ramchester and see no reason why this state of affairs should not continue. If I wanted something that is not available RTR I can always save my pennies and get someone else to build it for me to my specification. In the meantime I am enjoying my hobby and that surely is what it is all about.

Rod 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wholly agree Rod,

it is a great benefit to all of us, inveterate kit builders or not, that the range and excellence of modern RTR is becoming more and more affordable.  It can only help 0 gauge modelling.

I like my Minerva panniers very much (but I still reckon the one I kitbuilt all those years ago is better :) )

cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Al;though Rod hasn't been able to build much stock for Ramchester, until the fairly recent advent of decent RTR MOST of the rolling stock WAS built from kits, mainly by me (the most notable exceptions being the Sidelines LMS coaches).

• Like 2

That’s the beauty of this hobby - there are many ways to enjoy it and none is better than another. 

I would happily play with a Hornby train set on the floor if that’s all I could manage. 

let’s just keep encouraging one another however we choose to model 

it’s a great hobby 

Paul T 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 14/05/2020 at 22:13, Simond said:

Wholly agree Rod,

it is a great benefit to all of us, inveterate kit builders or not, that the range and excellence of modern RTR is becoming more and more affordable.  It can only help 0 gauge modelling.

I like my Minerva panniers very much (but I still reckon the one I kitbuilt all those years ago is better :) )

cheers

Simon

Foil or rapier, sir? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

herring, every time!

It's an interesting question, well, I found it  so. 

My Minerva panniers (a 57 and a 67, the latter weathered, the former only fitted with a crew, and lacking some details like vac pipes & coal because I haven't done it yet) were parked next to my Vulcan 57 whose build I completed whilst Mrs D was having a mid-labour kip (I kid you not, the midwife sent me home, and said she would call when things got interesting, which she did, and they did, and my daughter is now 20).  The said daughter was invited to compare and contrast, and she preferred the brass one too. 

I can't really see the difference, but I sort-of understand when she says "it looks more lived-in, less like a model", which I'll take any time.  Perhaps if my weathering were up to CK's standard...

I'll post some pictures, and you can all have your own opinions!

cheers

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

If I had not been brought up where I had I would probably be a GWR fan. Instead I lived within a few yards of Rugby Midland station and spent many a happy hour "trainspotting". Watching all sorts of ex LMS  stock whizzing by en route to Birmingham or further north to Liverpool or Scotland is something that will always be with me. Duchesses, Princesses. Jubilees, Patriots, Scots etc hauling their trains through the station en route to all sorts of different places. There were the ubiquitous Black 5's, 8f's. and a mirriad of ex Midland 0-6-0's as well as most of the larger tank locos and of course the BR Standard classes. If only photography had been as easy and as cheap as it is today. Still I have memories which cannot be taken away and these I will treasure until I take my last breath.

Nowadays any steam loco no matter what its origin is something to behold and enjoyed for what it is. 

Long live the steam engine.

Rod

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Isn't it interesting that many choose to model what they saw when they were growing up. Although Black Notley is supposed to be set in 1958, the year before I was born, I still collect models based on the seventies when I was at secondary school.  My choice of layout  has been heavily influenced by the books of the late Dr Ian Allen and portray a system which time forgot and before Beeching and the gradual run down of the system. The seventies were the worst of times and the best of times but we all look back with rose tinted spectacles! How I would love to have a time machine!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

aye, and head back to a place far away and a time long before Coronavirus, take colour photos (even measurements) of your chosen prototypes, have a couple of beers at less than a bob a pint, and still be home for tea...

sounds ideal!

Edited by Simond
  • Like 6

With no new pictures of Ramchester to show you all  I thought I'd post this blast from the past. Long before Ramchester had been dreamed of and before even the shed had been built Rod had an LGB layout with hand-built track in half of his double garage. I reworked several of his LGB figures to resemble some of our modelling gang. The picture shows Brian Harrap and Rod (along with our late friend Frank Ewen in the middle) with their 1:22.5 scale counterparts ( and hardly a grey hair to be seen!).

img443.jpg.d110a61d6bd9a2ba3d442c16241911c7.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Before that I had a G scale layout in a caravan again featuring hand built track and LGB stock. It did make Continental Modeller and another magazine long ago. If I can find the photos I can post them if anyone is interedted.

Rod

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It is nearly a month since I posted anything on Ramchester so here is my latest missive.

Ramchester In Lockdown.

We are all affected by the covid 19 virus which has brought the country to a near halt and very few of us nowadays remember anything like it BUT the other day I searched through some back numbers of Ramchester's daily newspaper and to my surprise I came across a series of reports about a pandemic which struck the area in the late fifties and early sixties. It would seem that the pandemic which was not named affected a very large part of Cumbria and caused everything to shut down including the towns railway station. A couple of pictures appeared in the Ramchester Chronicle of the station completely deserted. So being the good sort of chap that I am these have been copied and posted here for your interest. There was no indication as to how long the pandemic lasted or indeed whether it was an April Fool joke but further research indicated that it was a real incident. Speculation amongst Ramchester's population seemed to suggest that it was a premonition of events that were to occur in the 21st century but no one seems to be sure and some suggested that the event did not actually happen. So the mystery is yet to solved if it ever will be but the photos show the towns station devoid of people. I suppose that stranger things have happened but the truth behind this will remain forever buried on the mists of the past. 

1807544403_DSC05794(2).JPG.8f9215c35336c0272ea6b1c7ae0c78bd.JPG

DSC05790_(2).JPG.1a312925a2d98855c7b607d211d783cc.JPG

Rod.

• Like 14

Cough, cough Rod Cumbria you say but with soft rolling hillsides and colour prints from a local daily newspaper in the late 50's,  as I say cough, cough.  ;)   Excellent quality though.

Best

• Thanks 1

Hmm

In the 1950's would it not have been Cumberland and Westmorland?  Just being pedantic! Wasn't the Ramchester Chronicle taken over by the Cumberland and Westmorland Herald?

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well I have been hoisted by my own petard, lol. As I wrote the above post these thoughts did occur to me but I decided to overlook them. Colour photograph in the late fifties was still relatively rare and expensive as I remember to my cost. Also I did think to myself after I had posted, that of course Cumbria as such did not exist - it was as stated above Cumberland and Westmorland. Still I am using modellers licence as we all do from time to time in order to create a short story (total lies) about why the platform had been cleared. The truth is that the whole layout has had a clean up following the completion of the resurfacing of the goods yard. Next job is to clean the track and have a good running session. Great stuff!

Photos next time.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have been making steady progress with my station trolleys which are now about finished apart from transfers and weathering. Here are some shots of these taken yesterday.

1341790082_DSC05791(2).JPG.47662ef5ecd32182b92641018a43d968.JPG

1358448736_DSC05792(2).JPG.80643787c4ce033462b47f21bcf368bb.JPG

726953260_DSC05793(2).JPG.61fc78d69526c1fab3ebbcdfdee773f7.JPG

I eventually added the triangular frame to the front axle and mounted the handle leaning back onto the front of the trolleys. I decided to model the front axle with the wheels turned slightly as this is how I remember then some 60+ plus years ago. Now I have seen the above photos I feel that they are rather a cruel enlargement of the models but on the layout sitting on the platform at the back they hopefully will be OK.

More soon.

Rod  

• Like 13

Hi Rod,thats how platform trollys should be parked,they had an automatic brake with a big spring(well GWR ones did),so pulling down the handle released the brake,letting go ,the spring pulled the handle back up and put the brakes on.Wooden brake blocks staight onto the rubber tyres,too.

atb

Phil.

• Informative/Useful 1

And they must always be parked parallel to the adjacent running lines, otherwise you get a big ticking-off from the Stationmaster. 

Do you remember the noise these old platform barrows made? An unbelievable racket over the platform flagstones, because ours a;ways had iron tyres. This all brings back happy memories of working as a shunter at Totnes in the early 1970s. As there was only one milk train to shunt on either shift, I got to spend a lot of time helping out on parcels, lamp duty and attending passenger trains too.

Love your layout Rod

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1