Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi Roundhouse, have you got the official release WSMR mk3 Buffet or have you resprayed one? I have the MK3 TSO / Buffet pack on back order but its not turned up yet

Cracking layout BTW, saw it at SilverFox DCC last August and was very impressed 

Keep up the good work

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Rich

Thanks for your comments.

I have ordered the Dapol WSMR twin packs and hopefully we will get them by Saturday so we can run them at the Tonbridge show.

The one in the Chiltern Mainline livery comes as a complete set of vinyl veer lays from Electra Graphics and has the correct window arrangement. These vinyls are very good but you would notice too much difference if you ran them in a set of Dapol mk3's.

As I have three of the WSMR loco coach and DVT booksets now have spare Dapol WSMR standard class coaches so might try the modification Big Jim did on his OO coaches to add the new plug doors now on the Chiltern mk3's.

This morning I managed to finish the bracket semaphore after adding the handrails and ladder. It's now back in position on the layout has a fairly busy schedule this year with shows in the South and Midlands.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite going out last night, I managed to chieve quite a few tasks ready for the weekend.

The lighting pelmet has had a new coat of timber stain to freshen them up after over 6 years of use on other layouts and I have also now managed to finish the exhibition badge display board - such boards seem to be a bit of a love them or hate them thing amongst modellers but  seen as exhibition organisers go to the toruble of getting them made and handing them out at shows then I think its worth displaying them. It also helps people remember where they saw the layout and us as to where we have been with it after a few years.

A few other taskssuch as touching up paint to the station lamp posts and a few other small details now added.

The photo below, not the best photo, but it shows the recently completed brack signal on the North end of platform one along with some of the concrete and orange ducting. There is more concrete ducting (which I only notice last night after looking at photos) to add which might get done tonight if I have time.

So a few things to stick down tonight then its packing it all away ready for tomorrow at Tonbridge. Just hoping Royal Mail deliver (or try to) the Dapol WSMR buffet packs so we can collect from the sorting office on our way to the show!

Ian

post-1557-0-76538600-1360928805_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

Hopefully all will work well , as it generally did at TINGS last September, as we only have a few evening in between before we also do the RISEX show in just over a weeks time with the layout.

The fiddleyard is well tested as it has been in use with santa Barbara recently..

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Another show over. The layout in the car and on our way home on the A26.

Tonbridge was a very enjoyable show and we'll organised one.

The layout generally ran well especially this afternoon.

We had a few of the Dapol magnetic couplers not want to couple up for some reason so I will have to have a good look at these.

A few gremlins this morning with some stock but it soon settled down.

The touch screens with the track plan really helped to reduce operator error but even I at times forgot to check on screen as to which way the turnouts were set.

Between now and RAILEX next Saturday I have a few items of tolling stock and one turnout in the carriage sidings to sort out.

Will post some photos later.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham...very nice Harvey's Old going down well!

A bit of a cheat on the sound I'm afraid. It's actually a sound decoder in the Mk1 coach next to the loco. We just consist which ever preserved steamer we wish to run with the coach.

Between a few of us we now have a few locos to run on the steam specials and looking forward to the new Dapol bullieds!

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Another show over. The layout in the car and on our way home on the A26.

Tonbridge was a very enjoyable show and we'll organised one.

The layout generally ran well especially this afternoon.

We had a few of the Dapol magnetic couplers not want to couple up for some reason so I will have to have a good look at these.

A few gremlins this morning with some stock but it soon settled down.

The touch screens with the track plan really helped to reduce operator error but even I at times forgot to check on screen as to which way the turnouts were set.

Between now and RAILEX next Saturday I have a few items of tolling stock and one turnout in the carriage sidings to sort out.

Will post some photos later.

Ian

saw the layout today at tonbridge. was very impressed.

was wondering do you have a layout website and what other shows will you be attending this year?

Enjoyed my visit to Tonbridge and seeing the layout yesterday - it was one of the reasons I made the trip :)  Did manage to get a good view in the afternoon, some people were leaving just as I got there so I managed to get to the front of the barriers before anyone else saw the gap.

I always thought the layout was overall much longer - quite surprised to see it was a reasonable space. An excellent example of the potential of N gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments.

The layout is 16 feet long so the scenic area is ab it lees at about 12 feet.

Would love to make it longer but it just about fits in our vehicle so any longer and it would be a problem ... until we get a bigger vehicle!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Only a few days to go before the layout is out agian this time to RISEX.

The last few evenings have been spent sortingo ut the locos and DMU's that decided to give us grief.

A unmber of Farish class 66's had wheel pick ups that were not in contact with the inside of the wheels. Many of them are fairly new so have hardly run (yes we have too many locos for the layout but if manufacturers keep insisting on bringing out nice new liveres :no: ). Fairly easy to sort out the pickups and at the same time a fair amount of grease was found on the top contacts that transfer the power to the chassis. With the truck dissassembled these particular locos have now had the rapido replaced  with a Dapol magnetic coupling. The ones previously converted have worked fine hauling trains but I havent tried auto uncoupling with them yet though.

The intention si to fit some uncoupling magnets within the sidings for shunting engineers trains once we have most of the wagons converted to the Dapol couplings.

A few of the Farish class 168's had also given us grief at Tonbridge despite hard wiring the decoders to the bogie pick ups so these are currently in the queue to be rectified before the weekend.

A Dapol class 66 had also failed but its now working again although I am not quite sure what I did to get it to do so apart from a thorough clean and polish of the chassis contacts where the truck contacts meet.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Ian

• Like 1

Saw you briefly towards the end of Tonbridge when the crowds thinned a bit, fantastic looking layout (again, i expectted it to be longer! great use of space!) The wife made me laugh though; 'They haven't painted the white roofs of those coaches very well.' 'That would be weathering huni.'

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

I didn't get chance to study Warren lane as we were short on operators for part of the day although at one point it looked like we had more behind the layout than in front with a number of people we knew turning up either to leave bags behind the layout or have a quick lesson on operating the layout.

I do need to improve the weathering on those roofs. They are actaully all weathered differently so we can tell what DCC address they are - cleanest is 1681 with dirtiest thee car roof and two clean air con roof sections as 1686, then the same goes for the four car units. Once they get head and tail lights fitted then life will be easier but when I do het more of these units then you will have to check the front cowling aswell as the next batch have a shallower front cowl.

The 165 FGW shapeway 3D print one was also in use - still needs the decals for it though.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Apart from checking through the rolling stock for any problems, the shore supply units which go along the carriage siding in the old cattledock road have been built ftom styrene. They are shown after coating with yellow. Once dry other details will be picked out in their respective colours.

These will be glued in place on Saturday morning at RISEX.

Ian

post-1557-0-91473200-1361478518_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The shore supplies had the detail painted this morning. Just need to add the concrete vases tonight to those that require them.

One or two are sited on aconcrete area and one has crash barriers around it. Just got to find my packet of etchec barriers!

post-1557-0-56010800-1361518252_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, I decided that the concrete bases werent really required as they are so small that the grass has covered any trace of them in the photos I have of the prototype.

So here are a few shots of the first shore supply boxes to be installed.

Once I have all the walkway lights in place, I will re do the static grass in this area.

The Chiltern unit has had the close coupling done using the Tomic Delner ones and some foam in the corridor connections.

Also tonight this unit has had the Dapol Tomix coupling assembly spares from the class 156 / 153 fitted to one cab end. Another three car set has had one fitted to one of its cabs, so tomrrow we will try running a 2 x 3 car train to see how it negotiates turnouts and the fiddleyard curves.

If all goes well i will get soemmore of these couplings and convert more cab ends.

Will be loading the layout early tomorrow for the trip to RISEX

Ian

post-1557-0-34162300-1361570728_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-48140900-1361570739_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-34248800-1361570752_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

We had a very good day today at RISEX despite the usual gremlins in the first hour with stock uncoupling and locos failing despite spending last Sunday and a number of evenings working on loco pickups. However much of the stock worked much better than before and its starting to get to a stage where I am happy with the running and after that first hour the layout settled down to pretty good runnig.

Still had a glitch in the software interface but having just one PC wirelesssly connected to the host PC this didnt happen at all in the afternoon, so it may well be that the host PC just isnt up to the job these days with so much connected through it.

We now have about a month to add more detailing to the layout and to sort out the stock for Ally Pally.

More photos and details of some of the success and tribulations of recent improvements to follow.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few photos from yesterday taken at RISEX

After Ben A posted a photo taken at low level of Horseley Feilds, I took this hsot whilst we were setting up the layout. I wish I had noticed all the dust / scenic material piled against the building walls beforehand!

post-1557-0-91658500-1361699338_thumb.jpg

The tow class 168's working well in multiple together on the UP main. These are the first units to get the Tomix coupling system on the cab ends. More will now be converted after this successful trial.

post-1557-0-38966800-1361699278_thumb.jpg

A preserved Blue Pullmam passes North heading for Tysley!

An MOD train from Kineton sits in the Up goods loop

post-1557-0-94381300-1361699320_thumb.jpg

A general shot of the Chiltern carriage sidings and offices. this will soon change when the new multi storey car park and likining footbridge to the station is started some time this year at the real Banbury.

post-1557-0-48554700-1361699300_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Just like to say a big thanks for allowing me to operate Banbury at RISEX yesterday, really enjoyed myself.

Thanks

Gordon D

Thanks Gordon. Your help was much appreciated and you are very welcome to give us a hand in the future. Sorry that we only had one of your class 60's running but it was good to see inside it at the revamped 6 pin decoder circuit board and also that it now has NEM pockets.

Regards

Ian