CMNL gone bust?

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

I have just seen on a model bus website that the manufacturing side of CMNL has gone bankrupt. There is hope that the range will carry on but there will be delays in new models coming from China. It might be an idea to stock up on their Mercedes Sprinter van models. :D

• RMweb Premium

Further news. It is the factory producing the models, Creative Master Ltd. that has gone bankrupt. CMNL is still trading but has no manufacturing facility and is now looking for another manufacturer to take on the work.

Thanks for that Phil, I had seen the news on the MBF forum as well, hopefully CMNL will be able to find another manufacturer soon but I guess it will lead to some delays. Wonder if CML produce diecsts for anyone else as well?

• 9 months later...

From the Model Bus Zone Website:

Northcord Model Company: News Release

For immediate publication : 12th October 2012

I am proud to announce the creation of a new model-making company, namely Northcord Model Company.

This new model-making company has arisen from Creative Master Northcord Limited and I have acquired many of the assets of the former CMNL business.

One of the most difficult tasks has been to find suitable production facilities and, having achieved this task, I am pleased to announce that three models should be available for public sale starting in early November 2012.

These models will continue to use the former CMNL identification stock codes and the models are as follows :

ukbus 1053 : Dennis Trident / ALX400 in the livery of Ensignbus; bus 103 – V479 KJN; production run of 720 pcs.

ukbus 9006 : Scania OmniCity in the livery of London United RATP Group; bus SP164 – YP59 OEZ; production run of 600 pcs.

ukbus 9010 : Scania OmniCity in the livery of Stagecoach London with special Scania 100 Years branding carried in the advertising panels; bus 15174 – LX10 AUJ; production run of 720 pcs.

The first two models will carry Northcord Model Company branding whereas ukbus 9010 will be placed in special packaging under the CMNL name and will come with a Limited Edition certificate.

Distribution of these models worldwide will continue to be in the hands of the previous distributors, who will also set the price in their respective countries. In Hong Kong the retail price will be 398HKD.

Further information and details will be released when the models have finished their production runs.

Danny C. Y. Chan

Sole proprietor

Northcord Model Company

October 2012

• RMweb Premium

£60 is pricey for mass-produced buses in 1:76 based on previous list prices. We know there are some significant cost hikes coming through from China and the fact that a manufacturing facility has gone under may indicate the frail nature of that industry as a whole. In consequence any new business would reasonably have to set prices somewhat higher but at the potential cost of becoming unattractive overnight.

Archived