GWR branch terminus signals and services

...or possibly the distant worked from a ground-frame at an intermediate level-crossing not far from the station.

Also - and it may sound silly, but it happens - do make sure all your signals are pointing the right way! Noted in the model press this month, a layout with mostly correct-looking signals, but with a couple of arms upside-down and pointing to the right of the post :O

Doesn't sound silly to me - in fact that was going to be my next question! From what I remember seeing the correct arrangement for 1 line track is signal mast on the left, with the arm to the left - have I got that right? Or can they be on either side of the track? A quick google search shows them on both sides of the track (but always pointing left), but all the single arm signals are on the left of the track as far as I can see. Are they only on the right hand side where there are multiple lines and hence positioned due to space restrictions or to avoid confusion with other lines?

Signals have to be positioned where they can be sighted by the driver of the approaching train. It was quite common, whether by virtue of the curvature of line or an intervening obstruction of sight etc, to find a signal - even on single-track lines - on the 'wrong' side if necessary.

The arm is 'always' to the left of the post, but.....the GWR did have an old pattern of small 'main-to-goods' arm where, if the divergence was to the right, then not only was the arm bracketed off to the right of the main post (as one would expect) but it was also effectively a right-hand version of the normal 'left-hand' version. Sorry I don't have a picture to show you!

For various 'exceptional' circumstances there were always some nice 'oddities' with the arms and spectacle plates seperated, the SP's being one side of the post or the other and one way up or the other (the Down Home at Venn Cross always sits in my memory). Not relevant to your situation perhaps, but to demonstrate that somewhere there was usually an exception to the 'always' rule!

• 2 weeks later...

Great post and links! I'm planning to add an almost identical branch terminus to my main-line roundy-roundy... and I have one question relating to the 'final' plan in reply 8.

My approach track on the left will enter on a curve from 'the front' rather than 'the rear', and I'd like to include a private siding to a dairy situated in the area where the word Distant is written. How should I arrange the pointwork to serve it? A single slip in place of the 399 point?.. or would some other arrangement be more appropriate. I don't have the length/space to adopt a Hemyock solution, with the dairy far right.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

• RMweb Gold

Great post and links! I'm planning to add an almost identical branch terminus to my main-line roundy-roundy... and I have one question relating to the 'final' plan in reply 8.

My approach track on the left will enter on a curve from 'the front' rather than 'the rear', and I'd like to include a private siding to a dairy situated in the area where the word Distant is written. How should I arrange the pointwork to serve it? A single slip in place of the 399 point?.. or would some other arrangement be more appropriate. I don't have the length/space to adopt a Hemyock solution, with the dairy far right.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Most likely it would just have a simple connection (plus a trap point) off the single line) rather than be served by an extended siding from the station area. But if you want to do it with an extended siding it's not 'wrong' (but it would have to be a double slip).

Archived