Milk tank wagons - which number series related to which diagrams?

Does anyone know if there is a list or book available which sets out which number series of milk tankers, i.e. W3070, W44026 related to which diagrams/Lot no's? I have a list of milk tanker numbers observed in 1980 and would like to establish which numbers related to which type of milk tanker if possible.

As they were not listed as wagons, they are not covered in the various wagon books, such as Rowland's 'First Half Million' book. And there is no mention of them in the various coaching stock books either. There is some helpful information in Larkin's 'General Parcel Rolling Stock book but it is not extensive enough for my needs. Any help would be appreciated.

Russell's Great Western coaches appendix Vol 2 gives the info you want for the GWR tanks and some of the BR ones.

In addition, The Illustrated History of LMS Standard Coaching Stock I (General Introduction and Non-Passenger Vehicles) has a summary of the lot numbers to running numbers for the LMS milk tanks on P.116.

That just leaves the Southern designed ones.

In addition, The Illustrated History of LMS Standard Coaching Stock I (General Introduction and Non-Passenger Vehicles) has a summary of the lot numbers to running numbers for the LMS milk tanks on P.116.

That just leaves the Southern designed ones.

Mike King's book "Illustrated History of Southern Coaches", Chap 13 has some 8 pages of text and good quality photos of milk tanks on Southern underframes.

Hth

PB

The LNER ones are covered in

Tatlow, Peter (2000) Historic Carriage drawings Volume three: Non-passenger coaching stock. Publ. Pendragon Partnership, York, UK. ISBN 1 899816 09 7 128 pages.

But don't overlook what we have already written about the milk tanks in the Slaters Milk tank thread that by 1980 there was quite a lot of mixing of the barrels on different frames.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=milk&customize=2

Paul Bartlett

Archived