The Severn & Wye Railway, Part 4

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I acquired a copy of the above book yesterday, when CTMK and I called in on Simon Castens of Titfield Thunderbolt fame in Bath. Having already bought volumes 1 and 2 of this excellent Wild Swan series, I was sort of expecting volume 3 to re-appear in softback fairly soon (I missed it first time around). Yet this has not happened so far, but a Volume 4 has unexpectedly appeared, and this is completely devoted to the Mineral Loop between Tufts Junction and Drybrook Road. It covers the history of the Mineral Loop, plus comprehensive coverage of the collieries situated along it's length. It's an absolute corker and a 'must' for anyone interested in the railways of the Forest of Dean.

This forum seems to be lacking the dribbling smiley...

I need to get this book. I grew up in the Forest, and doubtless my mother would have a heart attack if she knew that my friends and I regularly used to play in Shakemantle Quarry. The mineral loop has a special something amongst FoD railways, an almost legendary status amongst the local enthusiasts. For us kids, it was a place of imagination.

Thanks for the post, I did not know this volume was out. Solves a birthday present for 2010.

I don't think Volume 3 has ever been published as it covers Lydney Docks. I maybe wrong.

The loop or remains or it can be traced in several areas. It is a cycle path past the Dilke Hospital and the part from New Fancy down to the tunnel could be seen parallel to the Moseley Green to Yorkley road.

Sounds very interesting!! Is there an ISBN number?

When I first found out the route of the Mineral Loop I could barely believe it... the road bridge it passed under (and which I used to go over regularly) from Tufts, running behind the Pin Factory (Whitecroft) and Vesil (?) factories is of course still there, but much infilled either side...

The Severn & Wye certainly seems to attract the most attention out of all the old Forest lines.

Thanks for posting, Captain K, Sir!!

P.S., for Taigatrommel, click on the "Show all" link under the smilies, scroll down about halfway, and :icon_drool: is there..... :icon_thumbsup2:

P.P.S. Does anyone know which, if any book, has any decent information about the Sling Branch (from Milkwall) ?? The "Past & Present" Series books have some tantalising photos, but I'd like to read more...

P.P.S. Does anyone know which, if any book, has any decent information about the Sling Branch (from Milkwall) ?? The "Past & Present" Series books have some tantalising photos, but I'd like to read more...

The Sling branch is covered in part 3 of the Wild Swan series. Also worth checking out "An Historical Survey of the Forest of Dean Railways" by Smith published by OPC. For a view of the Coleford branch near the end, vol 120 of the Jim Clemens collection from B&R video is very evocative.

• RMweb Gold

I expect the Sling branch is covered in Volume 3?....

I was first alerted to the existence of Volume 3 when visiting the excellent railway reference library at Newton Abbot with Re6/6 and Peter Archard a few months ago. Re6/6 apparently also saw a copy for sale on the Wild Swan stand at Scaleforum this year, but decided not to get it (I know he's kicked himself a few times since then!). I'd also heard that it was due to re-appear soon in soft back format, to go with Volumes 1 & 2, which are now only available as soft backs, but it hasn't been re-published yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up this book at Wigan.

It was supposed to have covered the Lydney docks as well but I see that is now volume 5 and volume 6 will cover the line to Berkeley Junction.

I looked at volume 1 after reading this book and was shocked to see that I'd bought it in February 1984ohmy.gif

I was beginning to despair of these final volumes ever coming out as it has been so long since vol 3 appeared (it's been a while since the Forest of Dean Branch came out too).

Archived