Identify the Loco please ?

bob hughes60

I have been given a photograph- see below- (quality not so good) of Sedbergh Station on the Lowgill Ingleton Branch.

It is dated 1940 and I would be grateful for member's opinion's of the type of loco.

I know 3MT Fowler 2-6-2T's were used early BR,late LMS but my expertise isn't good enough to give a positive ID.

Grateful for your input.

Bob Hughes

post-10048-0-89221700-1326728216.jpg

More likely a Stanier 3MT 2-6-2T, with taper boiler and Stanier top-feed arrangement. The number appears to read 193, which would make it one of the first Crewe batch, built 1937 (the earliest examples were built at Derby).

Not a popular loco type, the Stanier class 3 2-6-2T was reputedly a poor performer. Some had larger boilers to overcome this but they were usually seen on light duties such as the Ingleton branch. The earlier Fowler locos were considered to be better.

The earlier Fowler locos were considered to be better.

But not much. The 2-6-4Ts on the other hand were brilliant. AFAIK it was all to do with the valves and valve gear, the 2-6-2Ts had short travel gubbins and the 2-6-4Ts had long travel stuff. Stanier just asked for taper boilers to be put on a Fowler chassis.

• RMweb Gold

For a short while 40108 worked the trip on the Harborne Branch. The drivers preferred the Midland 2F 0-6-0s that were used before, although the regular one was about 85 years old when it was scrapped. One driver told me that the 2-6-2 tanks couldn't boil enough water to make tea, let alone push 10 wagons of coal up the 1 in 66 from Harborne Junction to Hagley Road.

Archived