Black coach ends in 1968

Lewishambill

The WR Chocolate & Cream liveried BSK here is seen coupled to a Blue & Grey Mk 1 in 1968, that is rare indeed. It must also still have black painted ends.

It raises the question, did many of the Green or Maroon passenger stock likewise still have black painted ends in 1968?

Until now, I didn't think any did.

http://www.flickr.co...157603696416788

Guest Max Stafford

The maroon ends were only applied from 1964 when spray painting was adopted at the workshops, so it's pretty certain that there would still be pre-'64 paintobs active on the system in 1968.

Dave.

What that man said.

I'll be looking closely at this phenomenon from now on (try saying that after six pints of Blandford Flyer), given that I am specifically modelling 5/1/69 as my end-stop date.

Thanks for raising this topic. It was going through my mind about the colouring of maroon coach ends and gangways as I'm building some JLTRT Mk1's that will be maroon.

Its the the curved edge of the coach side walls as it blends from the side to the coach end wall. Wanted to check if this is maroon or black and the photos I've managed to see so far it looks like they are maroon. Same for other colours as well but on the blue grey ones the blue is carried over onto the end wall anyway.

The joint of the side walls of the coach and the end wall will give a good edge to work to defining the divide between maroon and black, yes or no?

We await Bob-65B's arrival at this thread, I reckon he's better placed than most to comment on your last suggestion.

Intuitively it sounds right to me, but my direct experience is later than this.

• RMweb Gold

The maroon ends were only applied from 1964 when spray painting was adopted at the workshops, so it's pretty certain that there would still be pre-'64 paintobs active on the system in 1968.

Dave.

Interesting comment there Dave - my dad's cousin, like his father, served his time in York Carriage Works and finished up as Works Productivity Officer, for several years, before he retired in the mid 1960s. I remember him talking about the number of coats of paint/varnish applied to a coach and he also talked about how easily the painters took to carrying on doing the 'fake' graining on steel bodies once they began using spray guns. I think 1964, or thereabouts, simply brought in a different way of spraying for those works which had previously used spraying or possibly there had been a reversion to hand painting at York?

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Mike. I was under the impression that spray-painting was adopted at a fairly late stage on the railway by comparison with the aero and automotive industries for example. By a similar token, I'm pretty sure it was a case of 'horses for courses' and hand painting persisted for certain applications beyond the 1960s. The products of Currock shops certainly bore witness to this even in recent times.

My understanding is that the spraying process was made less time consuming by removing the requirement for black ends although I imagine that this was offset by the need to mask of the grey panel when the new two-tone livery was formally adopted in 1966.

Dave.

I had kind of assumed (I know, I know) the following

Very few mk II's painted maroon, and no natural "break" between sides and ends.

Most repaints after 1964 would be into blue/grey and need masking any way.

Therefore all pre-blue/grey mk 1's had black ends. I hope this is the case or my "dual-liveried" coaches would look silly end-on.

Ed

I had kind of assumed (I know, I know) the following

Most repaints after 1964 would be into blue/grey and need masking any way.

Therefore all pre-blue/grey mk 1's had black ends. I hope this is the case or my "dual-liveried" coaches would look silly end-on.

Well, it isnt the case, because the existence of maroon and green Mk1s with body colour ends is proven fact, no amount of new threads on previously discussed topics will change that.

I think the key phrase in this particular thread is Mike's '1964 or thereabouts' - when it's come up before, I think the date's been given as either '62 or '63. As blue/grey didnt really get under way until '65 or '66 (again its come up before, countless times), that still leaves a two or three year window in which the 'interim' method would have held sway.

Most of the Mk.2 FKs, but these had largely grey ends as the roof colour wrapped down the ends, following the seam line between the curved side and the angled end. This line can be followed up into the roof too and that part of the roof above the raintrip to that line was also painted maroon. I looks quite odd, but it can be clearly seen in contemporary works photos. There were also some green FKs, having the same clour break.

Archived