St. Budeaux to Royal Albert Bridge Down avoiding line / loop

Kris

• RMweb Premium

In 1908 an avoiding line / loop was added to the line between St. Budeaux and the Royal Albert Bridge. Signalling diagrams suggest that this was quite a long loop however I can't find any suitable maps to back this up. Can anyone tell me how long it was?

As a second part to this query I know that there was a training crossover between the main running lines at some point along the loops length. How far down the loop was this? It seems to be close to the St Budeaux West box but how close is close?

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Source 1: Loop entrance opposite St Budeaux West 'box at 250m39ch, exit east of Royal Albert Bridge 'box which was at 250m44ch = loop of just over 5 chains, doesn't sound quite right to me!! However

Source 2: Shows loop entrance to be to the east of St Budeaux West 'box (distance from 'box unknown) and exit to be approx. 130 yards east of Royal Albert Bridge 'box. And then St Budeaux West was closed and control transferred to Royal Albert Bridge which gives the following -

Source 2: Loop entrance approx 760-70 yards east of Royal Albert Bridge, exit approx 130 yards east of Royal Albert Bridge gives an overall length from toe of entrance points to toe of exit points of approx 630 - 640 yards (i.e. approx 29 chains) with the crossover in the mainlines 386 yards (nearest toe end) from Royal Albert Bridge 'box.

Source 3: Alas gives lots of operational etc detail but no distances/mileages.

So I have concluded that Source 1 probably has an incorrect mileage for St Budeaux West 'box. I can also tell you, from Source 4, that the entrance to the loop was immediately at the west end of the bowstring girder bridge where the GW line crossed the LSW line (and I could just about see it from my great aunt's back garden) but that's about the best I can do.

Archived