RMweb

How much compromise do you accept?

cromptonnut

I'm sure most of us, when designing a layout, have a list of 'requirements' - whether that's the more fundamental issues like size, scale, era and location, or more basic things like "I want to include a river".

I'm working on a project where I would really like to include a level crossing on it, but there is nowhere to fit it in unless I extend the layout by 2ft to include a small traverser on a separate, extra board. This would then mean that I couldn't operate the layout properly at home as it would then be six inches larger than the space it has to fit in (and it's walls, not other obstacles so there literally isn't the room).

The other problem is that if I put in the level crossing, freight trains that are entering the factory sidings by reversal would block the crossing for a few minutes performing the move, which is something I presume would not be permitted under normal circumstances.

If I put the level crossing at the other end of the layout, then it dissects the factory complex and, as a result, means that any internal movements would block the road instead - a situation that is also far from ideal.

At the moment, I am using road overbridges as scenic breaks which, probably, aren't ideal either as it sandwiches in the station.

At what point do you finally accept "it ain't gonna happen" or do you, like me, spend years messing around trying to get the perfect plan which probably doesn't exist?

• RMweb Premium

Like you in the past I have spent months (don't think years have been reached - yet) trying to fit things in despite always knowing that there was not room. I think I only finally realised having started the construction and been very disappointed with the results.

The realisation of this led me to understand that you can't cram in to much it just looks false. Unfortunately in reality railways a sprawling entities that very very few of us have the space at home to put up if we don't want to make things overly compact.

Space is currently my biggest issue - not so much the room to put it up but more the room to store the layout in the future.

As far as the scenic breaks go - at the moment Avonwick uses trees and a low embankment to hide the scenic breaks.

I remember waiting a good 20 mins for a movement in and out of the Bombardier workshops at Horbury

the road however, was only used by sailing club members and anglers to get to and from a small lake:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Forge+Lane,+Horbury&hl=en&ll=53.656688,-1.536723&spn=0.003624,0.009645&sll=53.65644,-1.536605&sspn=0.003624,0.009645&oq=forge+l&vpsrc=6&hnear=Forge+Ln,+Horbury,+Wakefield+WF4+5EH,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17

hope the link works: Forge Lane, Horbury follows one part of the main line, and is the road access for what was Bombardier, it crosses over Bombardier's rail access just before going under the Hallam line to access the lake.

Kris - the trees might work instead of the "right hand" road bridge to make a bit of a difference but still won't give me a level crossing! Is it sad that just because I have a flashing light and sound module I want to use it...?

Black Sheep - yes, found it thanks. You're right; a small access road is different from a main road. I'm sure delays happen but try to be avoided where possible. I'm not talking a main road, but a small rural road (B classification or less).

I'll keep playing as I'm sure there is a solution somewhere in this mess...

• RMweb Premium

Depending on the time period modelled it could be that there would be very little traffic to be delayed. Into the seventies it was not unusual to use the bus to get to work so the commuters might consist of cyclists, motorcyclists and a car for the boss. Most commercial activity moved at postal pace and just in time inventory was the future so the pace of life was slower.

• RMweb Gold

The other problem is that if I put in the level crossing, freight trains that are entering the factory sidings by reversal would block the crossing for a few minutes performing the move, which is something I presume would not be permitted under normal circumstances.

It happened - not popular with motorists etc as road traffic increased over the years - but it still happened.

In an international context, road traffic may have to wait a very long time at crossings. I remember catching a train in Flagstaff that held the traffic up at more than one level crossing for about 20 minutes whilst it was loaded with passengers.

Railways in the UK were built at a time when road traffic was minimal outside of major cities. Where bridges were built to replace them, they were often if not always at the instigation of the local authority rather than the railway. If no one wanted to pay for a bridge, the level crossing would remain, no matter how busy the traffic. A couple of crossings in Grimsby were notorious for their delays well into the 1960s, if not later.

• RMweb Gold

Did you see how Andrew P fitted a level crossing in on St Budoc? Personally, the scenery comes later, not the right way I admit, but the track plan is first then the scenics fit around it. I have a vague idea how Fourgig will fit into it's environment, but I have to have the boards built with track in place before I get inspired .....

Yep if I was going for a teminus or truncated old line I'd use that idea - but I really want to be able to run through services.

The only other option is to use tighter radius points than the Peco ones, with this being my first foray into O gauge I would rather stick with Peco ready to use trackwork - for all its inaccuracies - so at least I know something will work properly.

Perhaps my only solution is wider boards or to simply accept that I can't use the traverser and operate "properly" when at home.

Regarding level crossings, Ely quite often gets snarled up, barriers can often be down for 5mins, sometimes longer if a path is set for a train loading in the station, Manningtree can also be down for quite a while, whilst both of these are combo crossings, ie level crossing and low under pass (cars only) the level crossing soon fills up with vans and trucks and back fills onto the main roads. Another one that conflicts with shunting movements is Claydon, when ever trains arrive for reversal the barriers will be down whilst the loco comes off and then shunts round the train for reversal, worse yet the barriers actually go down when the train leaves Barham sidings nearly 2/3 mile away, the train crosses from the up main to down main and then to the down refuge, the loco then relseases back onto the down main and runs around, the barriers only going up once the points are set to run back into the down refuge.

You might not have room for a combination crossing, but it'd certainly be different and eye catching. If delays are the only reason you feel you cannot add the crossing, then don't, there are plenty of places where real railways delay road traffic for some considerable time :).

Kindest Michael

do you have space to fit a corner piece on and have your traverser come round the corner?

my plan at the moment for my layout is to fit a curve that has been designed so it can be fitted either way round, so at home the traverser will come out towards you at 90 deg to the viewing area, at an exhibition I can remove the corner and have the traverser as a continuation of the layout, or by turning the corner-piece round, have the traverser run away from the viewing side, allowing the layout to sit in a smaller space than it would without the corner.

this may only work due to me modeling in N, as such I can get an ok radius corner in the space of 1sq foot.

Unfortunately being O gauge (which tbh is the source of most of the problems!) the minimum recommended radius is 6ft and consequently would end up taking up more room than available unless the entire layout is built on a curve... and then, of course, you have other issues (such as SWMBO) to worry about.

A non straight layout *might* provide a few inches more to give the relevant clearance to get in a point on a different side of a board join - I note you mention modelling in N gauge; a Peco point in O is about 16" long!

fair enough :)

For my pointwork to fit around a baseboard joint I have shortened the section of track before the tie-bar in order to gain a little bit more space when putting points one after the other (a left hand then right hand on the same line) not sure if something like that would help

I do have the option of shortening points but unfortunately it's a "one way" move, of course, and when you're looking at £40+ for one point I want to keep them as near perfect as I can in case I want to use them on a future layout.

Archived